Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 21
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

JonnyBaddeley
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are experiencing too much body roll then! Be interested to know how you get on with the uptrated roll bars and their cost.

jonttt
Zolder

2014 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel spacers will be interesting. I must admit I’ve never thought the 981 GTS needed them with 20 inch wheel. I used to be well into my alloys running many split rim, big dish, large offset wheels.

As I’ve never felt they where needed I never really looked into the option but simply from washing the car and wheels I’d be worried about 12mm offset being added to the front for clearance on full lock ?

I assume you’ll be fitting longer thread for those to fit as well ?

Is this a proven fit or are you just trying them to see if they will fit ?
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBaddeley wrote:
I assume you are experiencing too much body roll then! Be interested to know how you get on with the uptrated roll bars and their cost.

Car feels great on the road but I took the GTS on track at Donnington a few weeks ago, (just for a quick afternoon session). Compared to my 997 it just seemed to roll more than I'd like. However my 997 does have Eibach springs, H&R rollbars, DSC Sport PASM and GT3 lower arms. (The DSC PASM made the biggest difference on track.)

Pretty sure the X73 rollbars, which are solid rather than hollow and about 25-30% stiffer than the standard PASM bars, will be all I need. I may look to later add a DSC PASM module to the GTS as it really keeps the car flat on track in cornering and braking.

Front and rear X73 bars plus new bushes were £360inc vat from Porsche Silverstone.

Sorry for original thread hyjack (I'll post a 'my new to me GTS thread soon instead' Wink )

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
The wheel spacers will be interesting. I must admit I’ve never thought the 981 GTS needed them with 20 inch wheel. I used to be well into my alloys running many split rim, big dish, large offset wheels.

As I’ve never felt they where needed I never really looked into the option but simply from washing the car and wheels I’d be worried about 12mm offset being added to the front for clearance on full lock ?

I assume you’ll be fitting longer thread for those to fit as well ?

Is this a proven fit or are you just trying them to see if they will fit ?

Proven fit I contacted Jens at Ehresmann Automotive https://www.facebook.com/9x1.org/ He actually suggested 15mm with a more aggressive alignment if I was tracking the car. I did fit longer bolts to match. My 997 has the same spacers and it made the car look just right.

JonnyBaddeley
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krispe wrote:
JonnyBaddeley wrote:

Car feels great on the road but I took the GTS on track at Donnington a few weeks ago, (just for a quick afternoon session). Compared to my 997 it just seemed to roll more than I'd like. However my 997 does have Eibach springs, H&R rollbars, DSC Sport PASM and GT3 lower arms. (The DSC PASM made the biggest difference on track.)

Pretty sure the X73 rollbars, which are solid rather than hollow and about 25-30% stiffer than the standard PASM bars, will be all I need. I may look to later add a DSC PASM module to the GTS as it really keeps the car flat on track in cornering and braking.

Front and rear X73 bars plus new bushes were £360inc vat from Porsche Silverstone.

Sorry for original thread hyjack (I'll post a 'my new to me GTS thread soon instead' Wink )

My 997 was on the factory sports suspension and had very little roll, but I generally found the set up too harsh on our roads, even more so than my coilovered and polybushed e36 m3. Can't wait to get mine now, gonna be a long week.

rockyroad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
I have owned (and cherished) a guards red 2015 Porsche cayman gts for about 1.5 years now. It is magnificent !!!!.I will be keeping this car for ever....it has everything looks sound performance its all there ,and it has a proper boxter flat six engine in it......It gets positive looks comments everywhere it goes Awesome thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  2024 Time(s)

012.jpg

Junky
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the same move Feb 2017.. From a MY2000 996 Turbo to a low mileage (5k) well specced 981 Cayman S.. The BIGGEST change / surprise was the interior.. The Cayman S is just such..a..nice..place..to...be..in.. After spending 2.5 years and 55,000 miles in the 996 that interior started to grate on me.. The 981 Cayman S interior is like The Ritz compared to the 996,but then I spose that’ll be the 14 year age gap between the 2.. I’ve done 35,000 miles in it since Feb 2017.. Great little car.. From the 996 Turbo,the Cayman so cheeaap to run.. Servicing every 20k as opposed to 10k on the 996 which involved a minor and then a MAJOR £1,000+ service.. OPC Cayman S Sevice = £600.. Averages 32-34 mpg 21mpg on a Hoon / ‘Spirited Driving’
32mpg at 100mph..

Couple of pointers that people get obsessed about when comparing S to GTS
I got mine rolling roaded when I got it mapped and in standard trim mine pushed out 337bhp,2bhp more than the GTS and 280ft/lb torque,same as a GTS.. So I wouldn’t worry about the ‘extra’ 15bhp you’re sposed to get with the GTS.. With regards to wheel spacers and handling,may I suggest a CAT driving course which I went on via here 911uk,earlier on in the year which gave me more confidence in ‘myself’ as well as the car.. Shortly after doing this course I went on another Sunday morning Hoon after which I overheard the owner of a well specced 4WD Golf R32 Mk 6?,complain that he nearly lost / crashed his car trying to keep up with me thru the country lanes and roundabouts.. If you know / learn how to drive,the car handles exceedingly well,straight out the box..
It’s a great lil car.. Does everything it says on the tin and then some.. Mine’s Pdk,will never go back to manual after this,and the only thing mine doesn’t have is the PSE,but I’ll be getting round that next week end Wink
Only thing I miss about the 996T is the torque,but that was tuned to 550bhp & 550 ft/lb Torque..
Hope this lil write up helps you in your decision making..
Unfortunately the site won’t let me load a picture of it.. But suffice to say it’s a stunning Yellow Smile

Now...Racing Yellow 981 Cayman S Pdk
Then...Guards Red 996 Turbo Manual

mikeluke
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I have my fingers crossed that I can sell my current car and then get shopping!

Saw a very nice Cayman S this week - just need some £££ to be able to have a serious look
BMW M140i (Mrs L's)
VW Polo Match 1.2 (the lad's)

Former:
996 Turbo S Cabrio Manual
996 Turbo Coupe Tip
968 Cabrio Manual

tim993
Zolder

2016 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeluke wrote:
Thanks, guys - that ties with my head/wallet thinking - itching to get back into a Porsche but need the £££ from sale of the 996T to be able to move forward. Other piece of advice that I have had is that the leather seats in the S are a better choice than the alcantara in the GTS in terms of wear - some GTS's get the de-specced option of leather but quite rare

When we chose the alcantara delete option it was becuase we weren't too impressed with the quality of the fit in other cars (albeit 991s) in the showroom. Anyhow, it was more of a 're-spec' option as all of the areas which would otherwise be alcantara are done in leather instead. It was possible to do the delete on just the steering wheel, which we thought about too because this is particularly sensitive to showing use. For some reason the full leather option also deleted the GTS stitching in the headrests. Not that that particularly mattered to us. What makes the GTS package so good - to my mind - is that all those (not strictly necessary) options work very well together and do i think justify the cost. Plus you get the GTS front PU which in my view looks a lot better than that on a standard 981. Nothing wrong with the standard cars - just i think they really nailed it with the GTS. Are they mileage sensitive - who knows?? I've never noticed a high miles one on sale at a Porsche centre to be able to make a comparison! Lastly, we have a friend with an S with all the standard GTS options which he specced and bought before the GTS package was announced. His too is a beautifully balanced car and is what convinced us we wanted the same options - which lead you down only one path back in 2015...

One last comment is that I think ti would be tough not to be happy with any 981 - they out-handled pretty much any comparable car of the time and probably still would today. But... if you can possibly hold out for one option it is this: full leather. The reason is that the leather covered dash really lifts the interior over the standard plastic. And there is a lot of plastic worth hiding. Another nice interior option is the body colour inserts along the dash and doors. It was one of the cheaper ones too and I think is another nice touch to make the interior feel very special.

Good luck thumbsup

1995 993 turbo

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junky wrote:

....................... Mine’s Pdk,will never go back to manual after this ........

Unfortunately the site won’t let me load a picture of it.. But suffice to say it’s a stunning Yellow Smile

Another auto convert Thumb

Have this one on me Junky. Are you going on another driving course to show you how to park it straight? Very Happy

ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junky wrote:
With regards to wheel spacers and handling,may I suggest a CAT driving course which I went on via here 911uk,earlier on in the year which gave me more confidence in ‘myself’ as well as the car.. Shortly after doing this course I went on another Sunday morning Hoon after which I overheard the owner of a well specced 4WD Golf R32 Mk 6?,complain that he nearly lost / crashed his car trying to keep up with me thru the country lanes and roundabouts.. If you know / learn how to drive,the car handles exceedingly well,straight out the box..

Wheel spacers for me are purely for aesthetics especially when running more negative camber. As for handling, it is brilliant out of the box on the road and still good on circuit, but having done A LOT of trackdays over the last 10 years and had various different instructors on different tracks, I just know how I prefer my cars to handle, hence the additional modifications for me, (but probably not necessary for most) Wink

As for the GTS over the S, it's not about the 15hp difference as even if it's there you would never feel it, It's the fact the GTS is unique in terms of appearance externally/internally and just feels like a complete package, as is it comes with all the best options standard. However once behind the wheel you would be equally happy in either GTS or and S (with the same options, particularly the PSE Cool ) Either way the 981 3.4 Cayman is a brilliant car.

JonnyBaddeley
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyres are are you running then? The n rated tyres aren't comparable with a half decent track tyre, cups aside.

mikeluke
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything particular to look out for when buying one? Ideally would like to get something with less than 20K on the clock and probably a 2015 car.

Depending on the dealer/source, I might get a PPI inspection done to check the car over.

Any pointers/experience welcome - thanks
BMW M140i (Mrs L's)
VW Polo Match 1.2 (the lad's)

Former:
996 Turbo S Cabrio Manual
996 Turbo Coupe Tip
968 Cabrio Manual

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBaddeley wrote:
What tyres are are you running then? The n rated tyres aren't comparable with a half decent track tyre, cups aside.

As it's also my daily it's on MPS4S rather than cups, I also keep my number of laps/time on track relatively short so as not to destroy them (around 15mins max per session). As said though the modifications I am making are all personal preference in terms of how I like the car to feel for me on track, rather than it lacking in handling ability. However most of the GTS cars reviewed by journalists had the X73 sports suspension fitted, (my car has PASM). All I want is the X73 rollbars (which I now have but not yet fitted), and DSC Sport PASM module (which I was massively impressed with on track with my 997).

Last edited by krispe on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeluke wrote:
Anything particular to look out for when buying one? Ideally would like to get something with less than 20K on the clock and probably a 2015 car.

Depending on the dealer/source, I might get a PPI inspection done to check the car over.

Any pointers/experience welcome - thanks

When I bought mine from an independent dealer, I had them send it to Porsche for a 111 point check. I wanted to make sure it would be fine if I wanted to extend the warranty there and then, (it still had 6 months Porsche warranty on the car, but wanted to know there would be no big surprises come renewal time in October).

Junky
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Junky wrote:

....................... Mine’s Pdk,will never go back to manual after this ........

Another auto convert Thumb

Have this one on me Junky. Are you going on another driving course to show you how to park it straight? Very Happy

Grin Grin
Parking course booked for September...
You’re the reason I went S.A. after going in your Tiptronic Turbo which isn’t sluggish on the gear change at all..

Now...Racing Yellow 981 Cayman S Pdk
Then...Guards Red 996 Turbo Manual

JonnyBaddeley
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally picked my new to me CGTS . 2016 Agate. Manual. Sounds lovely and is the ride is superb even with dampers switched to firm. A good move so far. Off to North Wales in the morning so a real test with my pal's T350t.

IMG_2037.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  709.76 KB
 Viewed:  1600 Time(s)

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  686.71 KB
 Viewed:  1600 Time(s)

IMG_2038.JPG

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junky - When you've finished with it hit me up as I'll be looking for a high miles 981S as a daily and yellow is preferred as it will match the 4C on the onyx plinth in the garage Grin
Alfa Romeo’s 4C is everything a Italian sports-car should be: it’s gorgeous to the point of pornography, distinctive enough that nobody will ever mistake it for a Porsche, handles like it’s on rails and steers like a kart.

madalaa
Fuji

2009 Porsche Boxster 987

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......... how many plinths does one man need ....... Floor

911TEL
Barcelona

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBaddeley wrote:
Finally picked my new to me CGTS . 2016 Agate. Manual. Sounds lovely and is the ride is superb even with dampers switched to firm. A good move so far. Off to North Wales in the morning so a real test with my pal's T350t.

Nice Car , looks the business in Agate.....

Great sound of the GTS , among the best ... what is a T350t ? & how did the Cayman open your eyes ?
It only gets better once you trust it....
Brompton S2L Black edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: