Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another engine noise...

sbhassall

Hi everybody. I've recently bought a 2001 996 that has developed a strange noise from the engine area. The sound is like a ticking or rattle. The water pump was leaking and I thought it may be something to do with that but after changing the pump the noise is still there.

It's sort of intermittent in that on tickover the noise will stop for a while and then come back. Under load it seems to get a bit louder and the frequency increases with engine revs above about 3000rpm you can't hear it but may be drowned out by the engine noise. At times the sound is almost like something rattling in time with the engine but I can't find anything loose.

I've tried a stethoscope but couldn't pin point it.

It is not affecting performance, its not burning oil.

It's a 3.4 and it hasn't always made that noise. Had a 2.7 Boxster before and that developed a tapping noise after not being used over winter but that went after a few miles. This one is weird, sometimes not there then appears. If it didn't increase with revs I would say it was a heat shield but they're all secure.

Theyve likely never been swapped but have you looked at the camshaft deviation numbers? The runners/guides get worn and the chains then move and slap against the sides.

Thanks for the advice. I'll find somewhere to get it on the diagnostic software

I've uploaded a couple of videos to youtube, links below.

Hopefully somebody has had a similar issue and can provide some guidance?

I took the serpentine belt of and ran it for a few seconds tonight, the noise is still there.

Hopefully you can hear in the video that it's not a consistent volume and there may even be two separate ticking/rattling going on.

I've been under the car again tonight with a toffee hammer and can't find anything loose.

Thanks in advance

https://youtu.be/yqcbPmHFy4c

https://youtu.be/3ODLiutDOvo

Did you buy from a dealer? How long have you had it?

MC

Bought private, not had it long. It's not showing any signs of an issue other than the noise which is obviously concerning

Listening to the noise clips there seems to be about 240 -300 knocks a minute at idle? So maybe half the engine speed...... Which could be camtrain or lifter/tappet related.

Also the secondary tapping could be something rattling within engine bores itself?

I'm only guessing, but maybe bent valve or defective tappet. Is it worse on one side of the engine?

Sorry not much help. I'm sure DeMort has some ideas....

I'm going to drain the oil and check the filter, see if that provides any clues.

I would save some oil and send it off for analysis.

MC

new video, head scratching going on

I've sent off for an oil analysis kit and will hopefully have the results turned round in a week or so.

In the meantime I'm scratching my head wondering what the problem is.

I just started the engine from cold and the noise was not there whilst the car went though the initial automatic high tickover, oil pressure is at 4.5 during this time. At that stage the noise was not present, I blipped the throttle and the noise appeared but then stopped at tickover, blip it again and its back and present at tickover but not consistently there or at a consistent level of sound.

It really does sound like something's loose but I just can't find anything, maybe just wishful thinking.

Anyway, I've uploaded another short video to youtube to demonstrate the intermittent nature of the rattle.

Any more thoughts or ideas please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EME2smwnFoY

If anyone knows Demort will have the biggest mental catalogue of Porsche noises, so I don't want to be nosey or pry, but whatever he said in his private message, is what I'd follow up on first.

Sounds bloody awful but some things do and aren't necessarily catastrophic.
Good luck though, waiting for a diagnosis is never fun. :thumb:

The main worrying point for me is that it isn't there from cold but comes in as it warms up and oil pressure drops. The cool thicker oil is able to take up and mask the larger tolerance in something, but as it warms up and thins it's revealing the true sound of what's going on. That's not great.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back