Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which wheels and tyres to use for track day?

Leosayer

Montreal
17" Conti N2 with 3mm at rear 5mm front and are 6 years old.
or
18" Michelin PS4 which have only done 1,000 miles or so.

Bin the Contis and get yourself some Toyos or Yokohama Advans. 6 year old tyres are well past their best and asking for trouble on a track day.

If it's out of the two sets you posted then definitely the Michelins. The Conti's are past their best and nowhere near as sticky as the new generation PS4's.

C.

Surely, if its a dry day then he might as well use up the older Continentals? Unless, of course you are looking for maximum performance and are competing for good times.

hopeydaze said:
Surely, if its a dry day then he might as well use up the older Continentals? Unless, of course you are looking for maximum performance and are competing for good times.

3mm on the rear set of Conti's are good for a couple of hot laps IMO. Not worth the effort. Each to their own...

C.

"Without doubt the first modification is to fit new track-biased tyres. You might not need the stickiest rubber in the world, just something consistent and reliable so you can have fun lapping the car all day long. Remember that tyres harden with age, so avoid using any that are more than about three years old."
From an article of preparing a car for trackdays.
Consider this; You are following a similar car through some fast bends, you've done a few laps and your confidence is building. He is on good tyres you are not. He brakes later than you corners faster than you and if you try to follow you will be in the armco.
If your car is not fully prepared with tip-top tyres, brakes and suspension components you are risking yourself, your car and other drivers.
If you use those tyres and it's wet you are asking for trouble.
I have 45yrs of track history with cars and bikes.

Attachments

• wet_oulton_164.jpg
    wet_oulton_164.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,899
With the newer Michelins you might find you eat through the surplus tread with chunking.

Thanks everyone.

I'm not chasing lap times or other drivers but I take the point about the risk of using old tyres.

I also don't fancy the risk of running illegal tyres on the drive home.

I never even considered track day tyres. It's my first track day in ten years and it's only one evening at Brands. No plans to do more.

I'll use the Michelins.

Endoman said:
Bin the Contis and get yourself some Toyos or Yokohama Advans. 6 year old tyres are well past their best and asking for trouble on a track day.

This.

18s weigh more as well. Listen to Colin Chapman. Except he's dead.

Grey Rancour said:
Endoman said:

This.

18s weigh more as well. Listen to Colin Chapman. Except he's dead.

Not mine - hollow spokes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back