Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Carrera S - Preferred 19" tyres?

N1ckC

Hi Guys, happy Monday :)
I have a 2007 997 Carrera S, recently swapped the lobster claws for Turbo alloys, they have 19" Bridgstone Potenza's fitted, my question is the sidewall profile of the Bridgestone with the "rimsaver" rubber bead adds quite a bulge to the side profile of the tyre/rim meaning it is sitting right out wide on the wheel arch of the car.
Looking at Michelin's, Pirelli, Conti's etc they all appear to have a much flatter side wall so I would appreciate anyone who has encountered this, knows what I am on about (!) & can give a view on what they think is the best tyre choice taking into account performance, noise, cost & of course, hopefully a flatter sidewall profile.

Thanks.

My Michelin Pilot Sport 4S also have a very prominent rim protector side wall. More than the Pirelli's from memory. I can't comment on the Continentals as I've not see any on a 997. I think you need to go and see the different brands at a tyre shop in person.

In my experience it is only semi slicks/track day tyres which have the very square shouldered tyres. Cup2s for example are pretty square, but I don't suppose you want to run such compromised tyres?

Nick, As you say some have much bigger rim protectors on that others and also the sidewall profile is straighter others are more rounded .
the tyres I found with the smallest rim protector and more rounded sidewall was MPSS

the turbo alloys are they the correct offset for a C2S they did do them for NB cars as well as WB turbos, and have they got 295s on rear 235s front or 305s rear 235s front. I am only asking as I have seen it dne a few times putting WB alloys on a NB car and they are very close to the limit again this can be helped by fitting a 295 as it will strech the tyre pulling the sides in also lowering pulls the top camber in and as you say finding a suitable tyre with the right profile . :thumb:

My 996 Turbo had 997 Turbo wheels on and was sensitive to tyres rubbing on the inner arches. Michelins were fine, but I had real problems with a set of P Zeros which I assumed at the time was because the sidewalls were flatter. I ended up putting spaces on the solve the problem.

Not sure if they were but they certainly seemed to be :dont know:

Of the Michelin range, PS4S has least rim protection, then comes PS2 and PSS sticks out the most. I think the PS4S is the current one to have.

Don't worry about how they look, get MP4S and enjoy driving it the most......

Cheers guys, great advice as always, thanks & happy Porsche driving!

Pss or ps4s, much the same in the dry, ps4s better in the wet. Both about 1000 times better than god awful potenzas

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back