Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What have Autoglass done wrong here?

drabux

Nurburgring
Had my windscreen replaced a few days ago and it does not appear to be fitted correctly. Can anyone tell me what looks wrong here? The glass doesn't seem to be seated correctly. There's also terrible wind noise. I have complained and they are coming out on Weds...

Attachments

• img_20180701_1905051_138.jpg
    img_20180701_1905051_138.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 3,730
Feel your pain, been there with Autoglass.
Good news is that you are having a follow up visit. Sounds familiar, a more experienced chap turned up, after I gave feedback, and executed a first class job, no wind noise and proper fit. Shame It wasn't carried out properly first time.

Hope you get it sorted.

The problem is the screens are originally bonded in at the factory using an automated robotic system that locates them in position and applies all the correct pressures around the permitter of the screen and holds the screen in the correct position until bonding has occurred.

I assisted the fitter who did mine (OE screen) on OPC premises, and he struggled - I had noticed previously that quite a few replacement screens i had viewed never appeared to sit quite right and were often raised at the uppermost outer corners. The fitter struggled to seat properly these areas on mine and I ended up having to help him and we jury rigged a very Heath Robinson method of strapping through the open doors and applying pressure to the areas that need to be compressed into a flush position whilst the bonding agent goes off - The screen actually has to flex into position for it to seat properly.

I dread having to have it replaced again, as I doubt most fitters have the actual necessary equipment to hold it in the correct position and the inclination to even be aware of what is needed.

As I have said and Monster supports fitting 911 glass is a two man job as it needs to be held in place to set. :thumb:

Does look like a poor fit.

FWIW when Autoglass replaced mine, on what was only a few months old 981, i had to take the car to them and leave it for half a day.

Did they come to you or did you do the same.
I'm pretty sure they said it had to be a workshop job but maybe that was to do with the newer windscreen?

It ultimately just boils down to getting a fitter who really knowns what they are doing with a 911. The safest option has always been to get Paul Ralhan from Glasstec Automotive to do it. There are I am sure others who are similarly good, but everyone I know tends to favour calling out Glasstec, and I personally am a very satisfied customer.

drabux said:
Had my windscreen replaced a few days ago and it does not appear to be fitted correctly. Can anyone tell me what looks wrong here? The glass doesn't seem to be seated correctly. There's also terrible wind noise. I have complained and they are coming out on Weds...

Hi had mine done a few months ago with Autoglass, had same problem seems it was a non Porsche screen. had to wait for a real screen from Porsche had it fitted, sat nav goes wrong, took the car to Porsche Colchester to check and it seems the guy put the clip on back to front, don't know how but all fixed. spoke to a guy at Autoglass and explained that one of the guys that came out said Porsche should be a two man fit. guy at head office said they would look into sending two guys in future.

An update: one month without the use of my car and still no windscreen. I was told by an Autoglass technician not to use the car because the windscreen leaks and is unsafe. But they won't pay for a hire car.

Apparently they are waiting for a windscreen from Porsche and since it is on back-order, they have no idea how long it will take. one week? One month? One year?

No one else seems to have an original Porsche windscreen. What else can I do except sit tight?

I've written to then on Twitter, here: https://twitter.com/Porsche997turb1/status/1019675681108758535

monster said:
The problem is the screens are originally bonded in at the factory using an automated robotic system that locates them in position and applies all the correct pressures around the permitter of the screen and holds the screen in the correct position until bonding has occurred.

I assisted the fitter who did mine (OE screen) on OPC premises, and he struggled - I had noticed previously that quite a few replacement screens i had viewed never appeared to sit quite right and were often raised at the uppermost outer corners. The fitter struggled to seat properly these areas on mine and I ended up having to help him and we jury rigged a very Heath Robinson method of strapping through the open doors and applying pressure to the areas that need to be compressed into a flush position whilst the bonding agent goes off - The screen actually has to flex into position for it to seat properly.

I dread having to have it replaced again, as I doubt most fitters have the actual necessary equipment to hold it in the correct position and the inclination to even be aware of what is needed.

This procedure is exactly what I am attempting to have carried out on my car . I have advised my Insurance co that they cannot replace it via a screen replacement co . I want a proper job carried out . With a proper OEM screen , no compromise.I am still investigating it being done correctly. Until then it's in my garage.

There must be somewhere that can present a procedure for examination for replacing a bonded screen to factory spec , surely ?

Magic919 said:
Ask them to fit a non-Porsche one.

This is what the whole thread is about. The non-Porsche ones do not fit properly.

Autoglass fitted a Pilkington screen to mine last year and it was a perfect fit. Maybe I was lucky :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back