Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear screen seal - lifting

H0ME

Trainee
Any thoughts on what to use to stick/glue the seal down where it is lifting at a corner? Screen has been out a couple of years back previously for rust repair. I don't fancy taking out the or replacing the seal at this point.

I hope my memory's correct

But I'm sure the seal is a trim thats sits on top of the rear window, rather than a seal the window sits in between the bodywork and the window if you get my drift

mark pearce said:
I hope my memory's correct

But I'm sure the seal is a trim thats sits on top of the rear window, rather than a seal the window sits in between the bodywork and the window if you get my drift

Hmm ok so what are you saying? I still need to stick it down somehow?

Rather than being structurally integral to the window it's cosmetic - the seal as original actually causes problems as water gets trapped behind it in the lower corners which can lead to the corners rusting out through time - the more conscientious owners lift the seal to dry under it.

Alternatively I fitted a non standard seal ( he hangs his head in shame) which doesn't cover over the void onto the surrounding body work but does mean water can egress as well as it can ingress......from memory the seal just pushes into the recess on the rear screen ....again from memory I think the recess on my original screen was broken hence the reason the seal didn't fit correctly - hope this helps.

cableguy said:
In your situation i'd be calling or e-mailing Glasstec Paul. I'm sure he will be able to advise on how to fix or arrange a visit to fix professionally. :thumb:

See here: http://www.glasstecpaul.com/

C.
Glasstec refitted my rear windscreen last year. I was very impressed with Paul's work and patient explanations as the work proceeded.

This was happening to my rear screen too a few years ago, so when I had respray I opted for a new screen and get rid of the rear wiper at the same time.
The bodyshop showed me the screen that was removed and the reason the seal was lifting.
If I remember this correctly, the glass is bonded into the aperture and then the seal is simply pressed into a plastic beading that is part of the screen.
On mine, this beading was broken in a few places so the seal wasn't staying in place.

I might be wrong about this, but I do feel your pain - it used really naff me off when the seal lifted - especially in hot weather when it could expand further.

No drama's now though..... :thumbs:

Get a new screen that doesn't have damaged 'beading' that the seal sits in and fit a new seal that doesn't sit over the bodywork trapping water and ultimately cause rust.........or alternatively remove the seal - it's cosmetic........couldn't live with that solution myself, but can understand the problem with a £500 screen to fix a cosmetic seal :dont know:

stuttgartmetal said:
So the answer is ?

As the answers above state, the seal is cosmetic in that the screen itself is structural and bonded.

The 993 screen fitting is complicated by the legacy of the shell - previous 911s had a screen held in only by the rubber seal itself. They were not bonded. Porsche have adapted the shell and bonded the screen in the 993, however the space for the screen in quite wide meaning that any screen needs to be properely gapped when bonded. Porsche use (did use!) templates to ensure it sits where it needs to when being bonded.

Your after market people are unlikley to be aware and will just go for it meaning the screen may have uneven gaps leaving the cosmetic seal all over the place. Also not bonding correctly will make the screen squeak.

The screen has a plastic channel around its entire circumferance which is bonded to it. The seal is flat rubber with a tongue underneath that slots into the channel.

Over time the channel weakens and splits meaning the seals tongue will not stay in place. The correct solution is to replace the screen as the channel is bonded to it. However I'd avoid screen replacement if at all possible if its in good shape and does already squeak.

However you can buy Permatex (or Silkaflex) which can be gunned into the channel and the seal glued in place. The seal is held with strong tape til the Permatex sets.

One word of warning, the Permatex is lethal to new paint, make sure you only use it in the channel.

Permatex is also used to bond the door seals in place so its good and strong.

Regards
GR

AndyS said:
£500 for a screen ???????

I thought they were only £75 on the Insurance excess :whistle:

I like your logic - still £500 though.....£75 for the screen and £425 for the rust repair caused by the poorly designed seal trapping water.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back