Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

high temp paint

elwyn

hi folks, has anybody painted there exhaust boxs with high temp paint and got good results, i did mine approx six months ago and now look crap, i have all removed again and wonder is there any tips for better results, regards to all

I have found brush application to be better than aerosol.

I used THIS (silver) on an exhaust manifold (not Porsche) and found it to be very good.

I used to paint my downpipes on a previous motorbike and it would never last the year no matter which paint I used or how it was applied. In the end the only solution I found was to get the pipes blasted and a ceramic coating applied, failing that replace them with a stainless steel set, they won't be shiny after a year but won't rot as fast.

thanks for reply, i have all cleaned and ready for paint, i may use etch primer as i think this could be problem, the last paint job flaked in places, the boxs are in fair shape but will need replacing in the near future, i also have manifolds off, once again thanks

I used high temp paint from Frost on my seams after they'd been welded. It seems to have all but disappeared. Very disappointing! Sorry not to be of more help.

I know I keep bleating on about it but why would you spend the time messing around removing your boxes and painting, then refitting them over and over when a set of Stainless steel either sports or mild sports boxes from Topgear are only £400 after the 10% forum discount and these come with a lifetime you own the car warranty, Do it once to it right IMO . :grin: :thumb: :thumb:
and anyone who can wait a couple of months Topgear have indicated another group buy will be done after the success of their last one , 100 units sold to forum members . This will either be 15% discount or if the numbers are enough I think it was 25 or more units last time up to 20% discount so your looking at £360 . its a no brainer :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

I was considering getting my new manifolds ceramic coated - can anyone recommend somewhere that does this well, for a good price?

Etch primer won't help because it isn't high temp (unless there is an HT version).

It is supposed to work better if you heat the metal first before painting to reduce the effects of the "stretching" as mentioned above.

Or you could just go with Phil's suggestion and get your wallet out - who'd have thought that would be his plan :grin:

jpsh120 said:
Etch primer won't help because it isn't high temp (unless there is an HT version).

It is supposed to work better if you heat the metal first before painting to reduce the effects of the "stretching" as mentioned above.

Or you could just go with Phil's suggestion and get your wallet out - who'd have thought that would be his plan :grin:

:floor: :floor: :floor: I guess some have spare time but not spare cash and are happy to tinker thats fine if thats what you enjoy. personally I would rather be driving it than tinkering with it but each to their own :grin: and I did point out the future group buy so I see myself saving guys money :dont know: ISH in a sort of strange man maths way :floor:

thanks for input, i just wanted to know had anybody any satisfaction from high heat paint, i have used it on other cars at various times, aircooled camper which i take out of storage for summer months, it lasts one month if lucky.the reason painting again i am putting on new manifolds but will be interested in the next group buy as my boxs not in great shape, thanks all for input, by the way i have a stomski jig for sale,i did not need to use it and has only been used once, i paid 100 pounds plus carriage. regards Elwyn

elwyn said:
hi folks, has anybody painted there exhaust boxs with high temp paint and got good results, i did mine approx six months ago and now look crap, i have all removed again and wonder is there any tips for better results, regards to all

If it's just for aesthetics then BBQ paint from B&Q works a treat.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back