Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whistling noise while driving

porkchops

Monza
So 4 weeks in the new c4s and the engine whistle pretty much consistently and pretty loud (high pitch whistle). My old one used to do that a bit but not consitently and not as loud. Anything to worry about?

Thanks

Have you checked to see if George Fornby is hiding in the back?

I'm no expert, but the AOS is known to whistle as air rushes past a split in the diaphragm?

I had an annoying whistle on mine and it turnef out to be a very slightly misaligned airbox.
Rick

Halcyon said:
I'm no expert, but the AOS is known to whistle as air rushes past a split in the diaphragm?

Yup .. when it whistles take the oil filler cap off .. if it stops then AOS.

If you struggle to remove the cap then again its an AOS.

deMort said:
Halcyon said:

Yup .. when it whistles take the oil filler cap off .. if it stops then AOS.

If you struggle to remove the cap then again its an AOS.

Thanks! Out of interest Is it possible to have a failing aos without smoke?

Yup .. Boxsters do it all the time .. no idea why its normally them but the whistleing and a hard to remove oil cap is a normal feature of an AOS on them .

EDIT ..

There are 2 types of AOS failure .. it can block or it can go totally open .. one causes smoke , the other a vacumn hence the noise .

deMort said:
Yup .. Boxsters do it all the time .. no idea why its normally them but the whistleing and a hard to remove oil cap is a normal feature of an AOS on them .

EDIT ..

There are 2 types of AOS failure .. it can block or it can go totally open .. one causes smoke , the other a vacumn hence the noise .

Great thanks so is it necessary to fix asap? Or not as urgent?

If it was smokeing then i would say asap .. excessive oil in the cylinders can hydraulic .. serious damage at that point .. a blocked AOS doesnt allow Any crank gasses to get burnt .

Ive seen cars that have had this fault for monthes with no ill effect ..

In all honesty though i cant say that a fault is safe to leave what ever it may be .. i do this for a liveing so i am a little bit more liable than most of you here if i give incorrect advise .

deMort said:
If it was smokeing then i would say asap .. excessive oil in the cylinders can hydraulic .. serious damage at that point .. a blocked AOS doesnt allow Any crank gasses to get burnt .

Ive seen cars that have had this fault for monthes with no ill effect ..

In all honesty though i cant say that a fault is safe to leave what ever it may be .. i do this for a liveing so i am a little bit more liable than most of you here if i give incorrect advise .

:thumb:

Great I will try and get it sort as soon as I can then

For the record, took the car to Matt at Fearnsports, it turns out it's the air con pump that is :pc:

Hooner said:
Don't worry be happy :lol:
That was a rather good as an ear worm placement. Never saw it coming

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back