Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Too much sun and can''t clean the car

wilpert

Having covered a mere 600 miles this week in my newly acquired 'low mileage" black boxster s
I have the urge to give her a decent clean.

Problem is my driveway faces due south, with no shade at all.
What's a man to do, would I be a complete wally if I get one of those pop up marquees or is that going to be the only solution?

If it is the answer, then has anybody bought such a luxury item and are they easy to just pop up or are they a performance?

Now with added sunny driveway image.

Attachments

• a55b485c_a99b_447a_b0c4_2a56849ce62a_147.jpeg
    a55b485c_a99b_447a_b0c4_2a56849ce62a_147.jpeg
    794.8 KB · Views: 3,359
Early morning or late evening hose down ....... :?: :dont know:

I have the same issues even though I'm in Scotland , I like to wash the car on dull days when sunlight isn't an issue..... The remedy learned over time is.......preparation .....

1.Set up car at optimum point in drive.
2.Set up all equipment
3. Pressure washer connected to tap water hose via a common manifold, hozelock 6 way nozzle type.Snow Foam and lance on pressure washer .
4.Set up separate dedicated hose to output hose from Raceglaze Resin filter canister which is connected permanently to the Hozelock manifold, open hose end for maximum flow.This is mounted near to my garden gate so close to car washing area.
5.Prepare 3 wash buckets, Wheels , bodywork wash with soap, bodywork cold rinse.
6.Snow Foam car all over and in arches , underbody , in fact any crevice at all.
7. Have a coffee while admiring how the foam leans most of the much off with a mucky mitt on the car .
8.Pressure washer rinse at mid pressure ....
9, Wash using two bucket method on top half of car . Glass, Roof, Bonnet, upper tail, bodywork
10, Secret weapon part.... switch water over to Water Filter hose circuit and rinse all the soap of top part of car as you go down the car ... this totally reduces water & soapmarks but you have to be quick .......
11. Continue washing using soap / Rinse method and observe no water marks on your P&J.
12. Continue to wash lower half using 2 bucket method
13. Clean & rinse wheels

The beauty is ,with the water filter , No toweling or Chamois is required ... the paintwork shows no water marks as the water just runs off it...

I find that although it makes washing a hurried affair if its sunny , its worth the effort as its clean and no drying soap marks on the gleaming paintwork ...

try a water Filter and see what I mean .... I wish that I had one many years ago ... !!

Can someone explain to me why you can't wash a black car in the sun? :?

alex yates said:

Black especially, and any dark colour, absorbs the light and gets super-hot. This causes the water to dry almost instantly leaving streaks and water spots.

Dries too quickly and the minerals in the water bind to the paint leaving water marks.
Although I do find it funny that you guys have problems with sun.
I'd have to normally rinse the car for a bit not to wash the dust off, but to cool the paint down first to have a chance of a decent wash. I'd normally was the car first thing in the morning to avoid the heat. To be fair the water is heavy with minerals in this country compared to home.

Whoa these are some pretty comprehensive replies, im glad it's not just me that the Eddie Stobart spotter of the car cleaning world.

I should have explained a bit better. Where I live the water is very hard, enough that we have to have a water softener inside to reduce the lime scale.
Even when I hose down my limestone paving it leaves white marks.

I'm wondering if I should give the full wash in the normal way but use water from the bathroom tap indoors, ie softened water for final rinse.🤔

Get the plumber in to connect your outdoor tap to the rest of the house :?:

madge said:
alex yates said:

Black especially, and any dark colour, absorbs the light and gets super-hot. This causes the water to dry almost instantly leaving streaks and water spots.

Agree with This but
My car is BB and since using the water filter , i have never had any water spots or drying marks on my car .... great bit ov lit ( that and tbe Gyeon Mhos ceramic coat)

Its worth every penny!!!

wilpert said:
I'm wondering if I should give the full wash in the normal way but use water from the bathroom tap indoors, ie softened water for final rinse.🤔

Doesn't work unfortunately. I have a softener and thought this would do it but I think the salt used in the softening process is the issue. Soft water and filtered water are not the same thing.

When measuring the particulates in softened water they are on a par with unsoftened water, about 350 - 400 ppm in my area. The filter gets it down close to zero.

A DI resin water filter is the way to go.

I got mine from here:

https://www.vyair.com/window-cleaning.html

Same thing as the branded Raceglaze filters but much cheaper.

alex yates said:

Lol I wouldn't think twice either.

Maybe they have hard water with loads more minerals in it. This leaves streaks everywhere as the water sits and dries quickly in the sun rather than running off.

We have soft water so it doesn't leave streaks, but I do notice it leaves more marks when I wash in the sun. Its doesn't matter 30 seconds down the road though as I live in the country and its covered in mud or flies again.

If you do it at 4am you shouldn't have a problem, except with neighbours when you set the jet washer off :thumb:

madge said:
alex yates said:

Never had a problem, just keep the car wet with the hose whilst you're washing
the rest of the car, then leather off at the end. :worship:

I must be too quick :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back