Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What Next: 991 or 997 Turbo.

Les

Sao Paulo
Chaps,
I've posted this in the 991 forum as well, as I know there will be a slight bias for 991 on there and 997's on here.

I'm starting to think about my next 911 and I'm looking to purchase something next month. My budget will be around £55-60K.

I'm currently torn between a 991 Cab or a 997 Turbo Cab.

I use the car as a daily driver and GT car for holidays across Europe, but still, like to put my foot down every now and then ;-)

I've already had 2 x PDK 997's and I'm worried that the 991 will look different (which is a +) but will perform the same (-), and the Turbo will look the same (-) but perform differently (+). This conundrum even lt my mind drift to a DB9 for a while.

There is also the residual argument that the turbo will go up (+), and the 991 will go down (-) but as I use it every day the fuel saving on the 991 will offset the residual differences.

Come on guys, give me your opinions as I'm struggling with the man-maths on this one.

It's an interesting conundrum Les and I'm afraid the only solution is for you is to test drive both as they do drive completely differently.

Based on what you've had before I think a 991 will suit you better. Fuel consumption wise you might be surprised at how good the 997T can be. I get 25mpg+ abroad and rarely drop below 20mpg in the UK.

997 Turbo cab will be all the car that you need IMHO :judge:

I wouldn't kick a 991 out of bed though... :grin:

:thumb:

Two answers, both different. Dohhh. not easy is it.

I know I'm lucky to be in the position to have such a choice but still, it's a blinking hard decision :dont know:

You don't say if you want to run a PDK or a manual, but I'd assume you're comparing a 997.2 Turbo with PDK (not a 997.1 with tip) with a 991.1 PDK, which may be a tough choice.

Given you're running this as a summer GT as well as a daily, I'd be tempted to suggest that you look for a 2nd gen 997 Turbo with a manual, as its a rare thing, but still a thing of joy. And when pottering about, you only need to pick a gear and just stick with it. Third maybe. And, if you need to get past a caravan stuck behind a lorry stuck behind a 2CV in France carrying a basket of eggs, one massive lunge might be all you need...

MaxA said:
I'd be tempted to suggest that you look for a 2nd gen 997 Turbo with a manual

Isn't that getting close to the £100k mark :dont know:

Budget is £55-60k.

Someone on here put up an advert for one, sure it was about £50k, or that might have been the chap on FaceBook who's selling his black one :?

:thumb:

MaxA said:
You don't say if you want to run a PDK or a manual, but I'd assume you're comparing a 997.2 Turbo with PDK (not a 997.1 with tip) with a 991.1 PDK, which may be a tough choice.

Given you're running this as a summer GT as well as a daily, I'd be tempted to suggest that you look for a 2nd gen 997 Turbo with a manual, as its a rare thing, but still a thing of joy. And when pottering about, you only need to pick a gear and just stick with it. Third maybe. And, if you need to get past a caravan stuck behind a lorry stuck behind a 2CV in France carrying a basket of eggs, one massive lunge might be all you need...

Gen2 PDK Turbo is over my £55-60K budget. Also if I was to buy a turbo, I'd probably go for a gen1 as I think it will be worth more in the future bring the last of the Mezgr engines.

Problem with the 991 is the 992 is just around the corner and I suspect a lot of S/H 991's will be coming up for sale, which isn't the case with the 997 as they are now an 'old' model.
I have been looking at 991 Turbo's and have seen a few but nothing that makes me want to change from my Gen 2 Turbo to a 991 turbo, also I didn't feel that the 991 had the build quality that the 997 has.
I have to admit I've had a 997 G/1 and a 997 G/2 and in 'my' opinion the G/2 is streets ahead, the gearbox (I did have a tip so no argument here!), the driving experience with the G/2 and a DSC box fitted is fantastic (I know you can put a mod on a G/1 as well), the noise in the G/1 was too much as soon as I drove the G/2 I noticed the reduced noise intrusion.
The whole who har around the engine, mezger vs DFi goes over my head can't see what all the fuss is about, all I want is reliability!
After doing the Dinslaken run, 1320 mile round trip, I questioned why I'd ever change it, it performed faultlessly and over the whole trip I got 27 mpg and that included a brief few laps round Spa and a 165 mph blast down an Autobahn.
Sum up, buy a good well looked after 997 gen 2 think they look a lot better than a 991, except for maybe a GT2 RS!
I've pre prepared and put my Flak Jacket on!! :D

I agree with the Mezger logic, and imminent arrival of the 992.

The Turbo is one of the range toppers, a 'junior supercar' (according to some of the press back in the day). A contrast to your previous 911's.

How much self-restraint do you have? I imagine triple figure speeds come very quickly.

For me it would be the Mezger, but I don't know if I could resist burying the loud pedal.

Given a Gen2 Turbo is out of your budget and considering your daily use I would pick the 991.

If you go for a 997 Turbo cab, Dynamic engine mounts are a must , the convertible chassis struggles with the torque of a turbo

I don't think early 991 values will drop because of the 992 because the gap to change will be so much there won't be a sudden glut of cars on to the market,
if they do then 997 will drop as well, or the difference between 997 and 991 will minimal

Hi Les. Its obviously a massively individual decision this, but if it helps, two questions I would ask:
- how much do you care about sound?
- how do you actually drive?

I recently sold my 997.1 Turbo Cab manual (which I loved in many ways) for a less powerful GT4, the main reasons being I couldnt get really excited about the Turbo's sound (even with an open-top and a really good aftermarket exhaust) and I found the power, while intoxicating, just wasted on our roads - and I didnt want to track the car.

If you love the sound of a nat-asp car and thats a big part of driving and your more of a spirited-driver than a full throttle power junkie, then the 991 may be the better bet. If not, you wont be dispapointed with the 997T cab at all..

good luck with the decision!
Mango

I've been looking forward to this becoming the common consideration at time to change. It's not an easy decision but really both ain't exactly 100% wrong as both would be easy decisions if the other did not exist.

I Recognise I'm lucky having that decision to make Regularly. Mangobay is spot on. Only you can decide if you like the noise of forced induction or not. If not the 991.1 will be a great move👍 Currently my 991.1 is the one I pick for uk driving. Did not think that would be the case but it is. The 997TTS is now a highdays only option and less of those in fairness. Both would be gone if the 991 GT3 or gt3RS were not so overpriced s/h. I don't use mine as dailys.

Personal view/thinking is that there is a stock market correction coming, it will affect the car market without doubt. Be in the seat your heart desires when the music stops. It will be tough for a while :dont know:

Hope this helps even just a bit Les.

Alfaian said:
https://www.randwmotorcompany.co.uk/porsche-911-997-turbo-cabriolet-tiptronic-s-awd-2dr-in-berkshire-6325165

The colour is a bit marmite but it's about being different after all.

Turbo for me les. Good luck, it's a nice choice to have :thumb:

I've bought 2 911's from them in the past and this one is one of the cars on my radar.
The only issue is when it comes to resale, as the colour might put some off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back