Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GTS front lip spoilers

gumball911

Trying to establish all my options. Very happy owner of a 2012 Gen2 GTS. Have annoyingly taken a nasty chunk out of the front spoiler lip and looking to replace.

I am assuming Porsche will ask me to chop of my left arm to replace. That said I'm not adverse to giving the front a different look for a change. Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations. Equally what should I be expecting Porsche to charge me?

All help gratefully received.

I would expect it to be similar to a GT lip at around the £200 mark for OE not sure much else will fit as nicely as the OE part as they clip into the openings on the bottom of the bumper all the aftermarket stuff will need to be bonded to the bumper . I havent heard of anyone fitting a GT3 lip to a GTS so cant comment on how that would work or look .because the GTS has a front lip and GT side skirts it does lend itself to looking good with a ducktail and some Fuch alloys so thats where I would be looking to spend my money personalising the car . :thumb:

Funny you should say that. Have spent almost as many hours on the web looking at that possibility as I have the spoiler lip. RPM ducktail looks very nice and would suit the look. Not sure if there is an OEM retro fit option?

Have the black centre locking wheels which I really like so happy to hang onto those.

Still need to find front end solution- perhaps just have to stick to OEM.

From memory you have three front splitter options to go with the GTS pu:

Sports Classic / Speedster front lip with the two vents, about £380

Aero splitter (like a mini snow plough), can't remember how much those cost

Standard - small thin solid strip, the most practical option as it gives the most clearance. About £400 IIRC.

It's been a while since I bought any so prices may have moved a bit since then.

All plus the cost of paint.

The GT3 lip won't fit as the bumpers are different. I bought the Aero Spoiler from Porsche and I think it was around £250. I then had it painted to match the skirts.
I've never really been a fan of the "swoopy" Aero rear wing so I went with the RPM carbon ducktail.

Attachments

• img_8085a_1__141.jpg
    img_8085a_1__141.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,615
  • img_8096a_1__680.jpg
    img_8096a_1__680.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,616
the RPM one is Imo the nicest but at 1800 quid you would expect it to be,saw a lovely pic on here of one painted but the carbon round the intake vents had been left not painted and it looked really nice. there are other options that guys on here have got so worth a post asking for options/ pics of others ducktails. I dont think you will be able to buy the sport classic OE ducktail as all the sport classic parts seem to be closed stock items that you need to prove you have one before they will part with the parts. but the retro look on the GTS really works well . good luck on that and keep us posted with pics etc as you progress :thumb: :thumb:

Ah Matt, glad you posted pics as yours was one of the two in my head that I was trying to describe . and great to see the aero front lip works on the GTS ,I knew you had done something different but couldnt remember what. :thumb:

Aero spoiler and RPM combo looks fantastic. May have to do some additional shopping. Lola as good as the Classic tail imho

How much additionally work does the ducktail addition create, assume you need to fit the additional brake light and overide the existing mechanism. Do RPM offer paint and fitting?

gumball911 said:
Aero spoiler and RPM combo looks fantastic. May have to do some additional shopping. Lola as good as the Classic tail imho

How much additionally work does the ducktail addition create, assume you need to fit the additional brake light and overide the existing mechanism. Do RPM offer paint and fitting?
Thanks! Apparently the RPM ducktail is modeled on the Sport Classic and is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. I looked at the "flying ducktail" and the Moshammer items but they didn't quite hit the spot.

Fitting it will ping up the spoiler malfunction when you hit the magic 74mph (apparently :floor: ) so you'll need to get the retractable spoiler coded out and the fixed wing coded in to remedy that - Sid at Porsche Torque did mine for a very reasonable fee. The ducktail's wiring loom replaces the standard one and kills off the third brake light. Ideally the flush panel can be fitted but when I looked into it it was around £900 plus painting and I don't find the third brake light that noticeable so I'm not fussed and have left it.

RPM quoted just shy of £2400 inc VAT to supply, paint and fit the ducktail but then I was lucky enough to get an RPM ducktail through this forum but not lucky enough for it to be Basalt Black!! I have a painter who is top notch (he'd previously painted the Aero front spoiler satin to match the skirts and has done various other bits for me). Fitting the ducktail is a doddle - I fitted and removed it numerous times to check the air intakes' alignments and wiring loom etc before giving it to the painter. Two bolts either side. Be ready when you remove the original decklid though - it weighs a ton in comparison to the ducktail.

Re the 3rd brake light delete panel the sport classic looks the same as the turbo one which is only a couple of hundred quid, I got mine on ebay for £100 the GT3RS one is slightly different but not enough to worry me. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Re the 3rd brake light delete panel the sport classic looks the same as the turbo one which is only a couple of hundred quid, I got mine on ebay for £100 the GT3RS one is slightly different but not enough to worry me. :thumb: :thumb:
I just remember at the time thinking it was too dear to warrant the spend (although that could've been anything over tuppence ha'penny then :floor: )
I'd better add that to my daily ebay search too....

squelch said:
Phil 997 said:

tuppence ha'penny now your showing your age Matt :grin: :grin: but you might have to spend half a crown to get one :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back