Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone else's oil pressure like this?

jimb007

Sorry about the focus on the first pic.

Is anyone else's oil pressure this high?

This is towards the end of an hours drive.

Oil is 5W-40 and oil pressure sender has recently been replaced.

20180617_105648-2.jpg

20180617_111733.jpg

i have a 997 and yes it goes up to the max here and there then drops.

Thanks

Mine seems to hit 5 bar before 3k revs and is 5+ bar above that all the time

If it reads 0 with ignition on but engine not running then it seems failrly normal to me .. a little high as i would expect 4.5 bar warm reving but to be honest i only tend to take much notice if its reading low !

Depends on your oil fill also. When I topped mine to the Max/ just over Max mark I got 5 bar pressure like yours

Mine started reading very high when the sender unit was on its way out. It then started periodically dropping to 0 which scared the hell out of me before I read it was a really common issue. Probably not your issue here but worth bearing in mind - was a really easy fix and cheap for a genuine Porsche part.

deMort said:
If it reads 0 with ignition on but engine not running

Turns out it's not reading 0 with ignition on but engine not running.

Even though I've just had the sender replaced. Is there any other way to correct this?

20180619_070817.jpg

Has it corrected it? If so, that was the problem and solution. If not.....

Rule of thumb on mine is 1 bar/1000 rpm when up at temp. but only up to around 4k then it sticks around 4 bar at higher revs.

jimb007 said:
deMort said:
If it reads 0 with ignition on but engine not running

Turns out it's not reading 0 with ignition on but engine not running.

Even though I've just had the sender replaced. Is there any other way to correct this?

To be honest thats a very small over read , they tend to be 1 bar over with a faulty sender .

Your readings are fine if you take that small over read into account .

It could be a gauge fault .. ive never replaced one for that though .

It could be a slight resistance on the wiring .. ive never seen it though.

Its probably the sender unit .. new or not it can read wrong .. they are pretty basic inside.

You will have other warnings if the oil pressure drops too low so if it was my car .. id just leave it .

If you want to prove anything though .. unplug the sender and see if the gauge goes to zero .. if it doesnt then your into a gauge .. and thats part of the instrument cluster .. last 996 one i bought cost £2500 !

deMort said:
Its probably the sender unit .. new or not it can read wrong .. they are pretty basic inside.

Thanks - I'll start with this and go back to my Indy as they've just replaced the sender.

jimb007 said:
deMort said:

Thanks - I'll start with this and go back to my Indy as they've just replaced the sender.

Just to close this one off...

The sender was at fault.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back