Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Welsh motorway speed

Slayer

Is this for real!!?🤔

Motorway speed limits to be reduced to 50mph NEXT WEEK

A number of major roads will have 50mph speed limits introduced next Monday.

The Welsh Government is imposing the temporary limits, among other measures, in an attempt to reduce levels of nitrogen dioxide where emissions exceed the legal limits.

It is believed that nitrogen dioxide emissions are at their lowest when cars are travelling between 40 and 50mph.

It is estimated that poor air quality contributes to around 2,000 premature deaths annually in Wales.

Around 40,000 premature deaths are believed to occur in Britain every year due to poor air quality.

They can contribute to heart disease, strokes and lung conditions.

A total of five major roads will have the 50mph speed limit imposed on between 1.4km to 5.9km in length.

They are:

A494 at Deeside

A483 at Wrexham

M4 between Junctions 41 & 42 (Port Talbot)

M4 between junctions 25 & 26 (Newport)

A470 between Upper Boat & Pontypridd

Increased signage will also be introduced to promote smooth traffic flow and the measures are expected to improve air quality by 18 per cent.

From the Web

Meeting EU targets on air pollution.

Ah the EU :roll:

Theyll be stopping the Welsh smoking next :grin:

Well, currently the 40,000 people affected by this are in the EU, but soon they won't be - but that's irrelevant, surely?

Like it or not, the cars we love kill people every day - some directly, some indirectly.

Which means, ultimately, that if you truly love cars you should do your best to minimise their impact on the world in order that you can keep on using them.

Car enthusiasts should be the first people to take the train, cycle, run, or walk.

Save the car for when the drive is going to be fun.

I was discussing this air polution baloney with my (business) landlord last year. He'd watched a documentary on it and also done some homework. He was saying that it equates to something like an 80yr old person would live 3 weeks longer.

It'd be more logical to put 1p on the price of a litre of fuel and invest in cancer cure.

If I had to do 50mph instead of 70mph I'd drop down to 5th gear, maybe even 4th, which would probably use more fuel and do more damage.

Aeroplanes, trains and buses should be emitting a lot for sure. Cars get to the spotlight all the time though :roll:

Alex....et all

Maybe a bone of contention, i would happily pay 10p more a litre if it was to be invested in research etc

In other words, hit the people or businesses that actually rack up the high miles per annum ? Just sayn

Even the gf can't get her head round doing 30k miles per year and only paying a tenner road tax.

I think they should stick road tax on fuel too... as said.. people who used cars the most would pay the most.. plus nobody could avoid paying road tax

But with China building a power station a week or whatever nowadays... what possible difference could it have on the environment :dont know:

Like shifting deck chairs on the Titanic.

The Welsh gov arn't the brightest bunch are they bless em.
:lol:
although i must agree with planes flying 24-7 all over the globe day in day out and huge container ships bringing shyte poundland stuff we don't need that will end up in landfill no doubt is doing more damage. it's totally laughable.

This is such BS :roll: It has more to do with frustrating drivers into going over the new 'speed limit' - either wittingly or not

we have just returned from a 3,000+ mile driving holiday over in Europe which was totally brilliant in many ways. we were very respectful of the speed limits but where conditions allowed on the unrestricted sections of autobahn, very good progress was made :thumb:
Slightly amusing to follow a transit at an indicated 115mph! and then a Prius at 120mph which is out of context

Curiously, we never saw any cameras in the motorway roadworks - just a 100KPH or 80KPH temporary limit and everyone sensibly obliged

I doubt very much that Germany's population and Govt are saying that they don't give a rats @r$e about emissions so which country is right?

:?: :bandit:

The worst culprits for emissions are power generation, shipping, planes, trains, lorries and buses and then automobiles...

In terms of power generation, we should replace coal completely as it's filthy. Peat too. And shale oil boiler plants. Power plants should only really burn natural gas in my view, for a reasonable balance between emissions and efficient production of energy. We should consider taxing aviation fuel too.

If we want to lower CO2, NOx, SOx, and particulates in our cities, we need cleaner fuel from the refineries (which is more expensive) and more cleantech retrofitted to shipping and diesel fired land transport.

Slowing cars down in Wales is about speeding tickets, not emissions.

Fuel prices should be quadripled = many less cars on the road = more fun

Some clever sod will use a battery, whatever next :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back