Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

300,000 mile 996

Hooner

I have just read an article in the 911 world mag about a 996 that has covered 300k miles on its original engine and yes the original ims bearing, the car has been used as a delivery vehicle to F1 teams for express parts delivery. 8)
so i guess my car is just run in :thumb:

Bit late mate. He's a member on here and has posted all about his journey up to 300k from when he first joined.

alex yates said:
Bit late mate. He's a member on here and has posted all about his journey up to 300k from when he first joined.
oops, great story tho eh!

HSC911 said:
I was with Matt yesterday...he's on 360 now :eek:

:thumb:

Now that is some going :worship:

Read this article yesterday too - Great testament to the 996
Here's to seeing 400k :thumbs: :worship:

Worth noting that it isn't standard though.

Poppops threads are great though. Mega clever guy. Wish I had a tenth of his understanding of performance and race cars.

Marky911 said:

Poppops threads are great though. Mega clever guy. Wish I had a tenth of his understanding of performance and race cars.

I thought I read it was largely standard other than extra provisions for endurance fuelling for long distance range ?

adamw said:
Marky911 said:

I thought I read it was largely standard other than extra provisions for endurance fuelling for long distance range ?

Standard apart from:
Engine
Exhaust
Brakes
Drive shafts
Suspension
Fuel system
Uprights (carbon covered)
Data logging
Headlights

I'm sure that isn't a complete list!

The Pistonheads thread is a good read and details most of the modifications

His engine has been rebuilt now, but original lasted over 300k...

... with mods to the cooling system, such as larger rads, no air con rads to hinder flow, plus mods to fuel system and the rest of that list above.

Very few standard 996s which get standard use, e.g. shorter trips etc, will make it to 300k. Crankshaft bearings are generally worn through by 150k.

Having said that I'll be over the moon if I don't have to rebuild mine until 150k. That'll be another 20 years. :wink:

I stand corrected :oops: :D
Not sure that was listed in 911&P world article :?:

Still very impressive though

It is very impressive. Absolutely. :thumb:

And until his rebuild to 3.7 not long ago, the main internals hadn't been touched.

It's just worth pointing out that the cooling, oil and fuel systems aren't standard, incase newbies read it, then expect to buy one and do 300k trouble free miles. :grin:

There's an American on PH that took his Boxster to over 300k miles before he sold it. All standard as far as I know. His 996 Turbo did about half that before he sold.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back