Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Vs Dunlop Vs Goodyear

Whitehorse

Hello All,

Time for new rubber for the 997 Targa and have been speaking to various sources. I wanted to fit PS4S, however two different tyre guys have said they've been told not to fit PS4S as the sidewalls are thinner. Both understood the N thing, one advised Conti 6s, the other Goodyear or Dunlop Sp Maxx if I didn't fancy PS2, both said they had stiffer sidewalls and would suit better. One guy races too.

Advice from the floor, very much appreciated...

pzero said:
http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=53

Thanks, I've had a read through there but most of the posts are quite old now. Hoping for some more recent experience? I use the car all year round and I want grip in the wet with reasonable noise lavels. I have PS4s on the wagon and they are very good, though not as planted as the previous Contis

I always had PS2 on the gen1 loved them the gen 2 came with contis and I hated them so swapped them for MPSS which are far better, but next change will be trying MP4S as they are the latest tech . Theres a thread from last week on here 95% of posters were pro Michelin infact from what I remember only one poster was in favour of Pzero and everyone else was Michelin.

I go through quite a lot of tyres on my daily due to the miles I do and over the last couple of years I have have tried Dunlop which is the manufacturers recommended, P Zero's and now the MP4S. The MP by far have the best grip and give you the most confidence, the only down side I have found over the others is there seems to be a little more road noise. That said the cons out weigh this so I will be sticking with MP4S going forward

Whitehorse said:
pzero said:
http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=53

Thanks, I've had a read through there but most of the posts are quite old now. Hoping for some more recent experience? I use the car all year round and I want grip in the wet with reasonable noise lavels. I have PS4s on the wagon and they are very good, though not as planted as the previous Contis

Hear what you're saying, but the reason I posted the link, giving several differnent options and options, is that you are likely to hear more of the same with your question, with a slant towards Michelin flavours.

You could ring around a few respected Indys for their opinion.

I don't find any problem with the PS4S. I've moved from PS2 to PS4S and they feel fine. I'm planning to move from PSS to PS4S when the Super Sports wear out. In 997 sizes I don't consider anything other than Michelin .

I can only speak from experience of my findings which were;

Pirelli pzero's were on the car when I bought it (5mm all around). At first I thought the car was dangerous. Darting about and following tramlines in the road at speed 70mph cough. Found them pretty good in the wet under braking and cornering but at speed, no thanks. It was scary as hell but thought it was a characteristic of the 911.

Anyway, I opted to change over to Michelin PS2 and what a transformation they made.

The car was just planted at any speed . Braking, different league again.

Although one time in the pouring rain, I entered a roundabout at normal speed and planted the gas on the exit in 2nd gear and she snapped over steered :drive: I felt like Walter rohl :grin:

I think it was more the tyres and PSM than anything I done :lol:

Michelin all day and everyday long :thumb:

PS4S in the dry are unbelievable on the 20" 991. Round a 270degree sliproad that I use a lot I could not believe the grip, tried it 3 times and it would not lose grip or fire the electric wizardy (C4S stayed fully on rear power) They were not available for the 19" 997 when I changed last year. The Bridgestones I had to put on will not be staying long now.

On the same bit of road at the same speed the Noise level is 6db lower on the PS4S than the worn bridgestones using a very unscientific iPhone app....PSE/air con and Stereo off.

I just switched from Pzero to MPS4S, no regrets so far. More feel at the front, better cornering in the wet, can get on the throttle earlier with far more confidence.

Never heard the 'thin sidewall' theory... :?:

In terms of rim protection, it's true. The MPS4S doesn't have as much as the MPSS. Taking this to mean the sidewalls are less stiff is a bit of a stretch.

Over the years I've seen plenty of mention of sidewall stiffness and suggestions that running a bit higher tyre pressure will offset it. Plenty of bro science out there.

Went for PS4S, fitting this week!

Thanks for the help :thumb:

I went from P-Zeros to MPS4S back in May 2017. Ive since done 16,000 miles and the tyres are only half worn. The grip is nothing short of amazing. First set of tyres where I can actually "feel" the road. Ive run the car all winter and in the rain and not had any issues at all. Car just feels like its stuck to the road.

I will definitely be getting the same again when they need replacing.

Whitehorse said:
Went for PS4S, fitting this week!

Thanks for the help :thumb:

Good choice. :thumb:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back