Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 74
996 : 1997-2005 46
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
apollokre1d
Magny-Cours


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2684
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: 991.2 GT3 engine failure Reply with quote

Bit of a heads up before you give up 30 minutes of your life.... the root cause is sadly unknown and it features more of the courtesy cars than the actual engine failure.


Open Youtube Page


An update below:


Open Youtube Page

_________________
Black 997 9e Turbo Manual
Black 997 C4S Manual - Sold
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
996ttalot
Approved Trader


Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 1391
Location: Horley Gatwick


PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already on second engine - first one failed after 260 miles.
_________________
nineexcellence.com
Tel: 01293 226911. Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/Nineexcellence
SALES, SERVICE, UPGRADES
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5093
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

996ttalot wrote:
Already on second engine - first one failed after 260 miles.


Are you referring to the Swedish chap above or your self?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
996ttalot
Approved Trader


Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 1391
Location: Horley Gatwick


PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
996ttalot wrote:
Already on second engine - first one failed after 260 miles.


Are you referring to the Swedish chap above or your self?
ours
_________________
nineexcellence.com
Tel: 01293 226911. Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/Nineexcellence
SALES, SERVICE, UPGRADES
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
jotaking
Montreal


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 577



PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

996ttalot wrote:
Already on second engine - first one failed after 260 miles.


What happened?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
996ttalot
Approved Trader


Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 1391
Location: Horley Gatwick


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting making mechanical noise then lack of oil pressure. Don’t think this is a major issue as new engines can fail ( it happens ) and as far as we know this is the only instance in U.K.
_________________
nineexcellence.com
Tel: 01293 226911. Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/Nineexcellence
SALES, SERVICE, UPGRADES
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
jotaking
Montreal


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 577



PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky I guess??

How do you rate Porsche's response?

And...

Will Porsche let you know the cause of the issue?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 339



PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh *****! That's not good news at all.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
DRZ911
Barcelona


Joined: 13 Mar 2013
Posts: 1343
Location: Belfast


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting here in disbelief reading this thread. Surprised

After all the problems with the Gen 1, we were all led to believe that Porsche had sorted out on the issues on the Gen 2 4 litre. A failure so soon in Sweden and in the UK is a very shaky start. nooo

Hope we're not in for a repeat of the Gen 1 cycle of failure-replacement-improvement-failure-replacement-improvement-failure-replacement. frustrated
_________________
991 Gen 1 C4S PDK Carrara White
Yamaha R1 and BMW R100RS
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
996ttalot
Approved Trader


Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 1391
Location: Horley Gatwick


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jotaking wrote:
Unlucky I guess??

How do you rate Porsche's response?

And...

Will Porsche let you know the cause of the issue?
I have maybe 10-12 customers with them of which half have been on track a lot with no issues so I don’t think this is similar to before. The fact that our failed so early could be just build or component issue - unlikely to find out. Porsche replaced without fuss in a few weeks. replacement now has several thousand miles with no issues.

As an aside I have lots of tuning requests on latest cars and we don’t entertain this unless there is at least 1000 miles on the car precisely for this type of situation

Ken
_________________
nineexcellence.com
Tel: 01293 226911. Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/Nineexcellence
SALES, SERVICE, UPGRADES
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
G2
Imola


Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 766



PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

996ttalot wrote:
jotaking wrote:
Unlucky I guess??

How do you rate Porsche's response?

And...

Will Porsche let you know the cause of the issue?
I have maybe 10-12 customers with them of which half have been on track a lot with no issues so I don’t think this is similar to before. The fact that our failed so early could be just build or component issue - unlikely to find out. Porsche replaced without fuss in a few weeks. replacement now has several thousand miles with no issues.

As an aside I have lots of tuning requests on latest cars and we don’t entertain this unless there is at least 1000 miles on the car precisely for this type of situation

Ken


Do the mechanics/tuners that get hands on with these cars sense any difference in the quality levels of the materials in use? Eg a jockey can tell the quality of a horse with a little time in the saddle. Genuinely interested as considering a 991 GT car next year. Question
_________________
997 Gen2 Turbo S - Speed.
991 C4S - Riviera.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5093
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youd be nuts to “tune” a new GT3, i mean whats the point, is it that bad? What on earth could they have left on th performance table and even if there was a spoonful there is it worth having when thse things annihilate most everything anyways..
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
996ttalot
Approved Trader


Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 1391
Location: Horley Gatwick


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
I think youd be nuts to “tune” a new GT3, i mean whats the point, is it that bad? What on earth could they have left on th performance table and even if there was a spoonful there is it worth having when thse things annihilate most everything anyways..
I was talking in general about tuning and engines and how many miles. We are tuning all the 991.2 range that are turbo based and 718 platform etc. There are huge gains to be had on these variants.
_________________
nineexcellence.com
Tel: 01293 226911. Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/Nineexcellence
SALES, SERVICE, UPGRADES
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
996ttalot
Approved Trader


Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 1391
Location: Horley Gatwick


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2 wrote:
996ttalot wrote:
jotaking wrote:
Unlucky I guess??

How do you rate Porsche's response?

And...

Will Porsche let you know the cause of the issue?
I have maybe 10-12 customers with them of which half have been on track a lot with no issues so I don’t think this is similar to before. The fact that our failed so early could be just build or component issue - unlikely to find out. Porsche replaced without fuss in a few weeks. replacement now has several thousand miles with no issues.

As an aside I have lots of tuning requests on latest cars and we don’t entertain this unless there is at least 1000 miles on the car precisely for this type of situation

Ken


Do the mechanics/tuners that get hands on with these cars sense any difference in the quality levels of the materials in use? Eg a jockey can tell the quality of a horse with a little time in the saddle. Genuinely interested as considering a 991 GT car next year. Question
definite increase in quality of GT cars. The major issue we are seeing on these cars is the consequences of the use of aluminium in the chassis - I would advise against curbing wheels because they can caused chassis damage. Other things we are seeing is an accumulation of a function as a direct replacement rather than individual parts e.g. on some of the latest with spoiler issues, you are buying a whole system of that function instead of a single broken part component. Still have the usual combination of materials that don’t mix well - manifold bolts etc are still the same material so still the same issues.
_________________
nineexcellence.com
Tel: 01293 226911. Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/Nineexcellence
SALES, SERVICE, UPGRADES
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6171



PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerbing wheels causes chassis damage on the 991.2 Surprised

I ignored this thread until I realised it was about the 991 gen 2.. what’s going on at Porsche... Question
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2009 BMW X5 30d
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
kas750
Estoril


Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 3854
Location: Chorley lancashire

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roro wrote:
Kerbing wheels causes chassis damage on the 991.2 Surprised

I ignored this thread until I realised it was about the 991 gen 2.. what’s going on at Porsche... Question


For me the GT3 as we know and love ended with the 997.2
VW ownership will of had the bean counters in full effect nooo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
G2
Imola


Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 766



PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

996ttalot wrote:
G2 wrote:
996ttalot wrote:
jotaking wrote:
Unlucky I guess??

How do you rate Porsche's response?

And...

Will Porsche let you know the cause of the issue?
I have maybe 10-12 customers with them of which half have been on track a lot with no issues so I don’t think this is similar to before. The fact that our failed so early could be just build or component issue - unlikely to find out. Porsche replaced without fuss in a few weeks. replacement now has several thousand miles with no issues.

As an aside I have lots of tuning requests on latest cars and we don’t entertain this unless there is at least 1000 miles on the car precisely for this type of situation

Ken


Do the mechanics/tuners that get hands on with these cars sense any difference in the quality levels of the materials in use? Eg a jockey can tell the quality of a horse with a little time in the saddle. Genuinely interested as considering a 991 GT car next year. Question
definite increase in quality of GT cars. The major issue we are seeing on these cars is the consequences of the use of aluminium in the chassis - I would advise against curbing wheels because they can caused chassis damage. Other things we are seeing is an accumulation of a function as a direct replacement rather than individual parts e.g. on some of the latest with spoiler issues, you are buying a whole system of that function instead of a single broken part component. Still have the usual combination of materials that don’t mix well - manifold bolts etc are still the same material so still the same issues.


thanks . Appreciate the insight. Thumb
_________________
997 Gen2 Turbo S - Speed.
991 C4S - Riviera.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Axlesnap
Trainee


Joined: 08 May 2016
Posts: 97
Location: Kent/ Sussex


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kas750 wrote:
Roro wrote:
Kerbing wheels causes chassis damage on the 991.2 Surprised

I ignored this thread until I realised it was about the 991 gen 2.. what’s going on at Porsche... Question


For me the GT3 as we know and love ended with the 997.2
VW ownership will of had the bean counters in full effect nooo


Yeah But I would say that having chosen one over a 991 recently. Are they trying to push the NA envelope too far for reliable road use? Hope not as it would be a shame if NA option disappeared altogether. I’ll be watching developments with interest Pop Corn
_________________
997.2 GT3
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ragpicker
Paul Ricard


Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Posts: 3485
Location: North East England


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kas750 wrote:
Roro wrote:
Kerbing wheels causes chassis damage on the 991.2 Surprised

I ignored this thread until I realised it was about the 991 gen 2.. what’s going on at Porsche... Question


For me the GT3 as we know and love ended with the 997.2
VW ownership will of had the bean counters in full effect nooo


Not just the GT3, but the entire 911 range as far as I'm concerned. But thats just me Dont know
_________________
996 turbo - slightly modified....
986 S - usually in pieces: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112626
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche2018
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2018
Posts: 10
Location: Georgetown, Texas


PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this is not encouraging. I have a 991.2 3RS to arrive in August and and hoped this new engine would be solid, trouble free performer. Disappointed.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum