Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlights

steve1

Nurburgring
Took headlights in for polishing and was told they are zenons
Are these a modification of standard lights or a mod of litronics
Or are there three different types of headlight. Bit confused

I have a 2002 996 cab.

Steve

Litronics and Xenons are the same thing.
Do you have headlight washers.
Are you asking whether they're original fit or aftermarket HIDS?
On mine when I switch them on they do a little up down test.
It's easy to whip one out and see exactly what they are.

This may help.
https://youtu.be/MZLsXqFgVps

polished lights make a car look so much fresher. :cool:

Hope you're pleased with the outcome :thumb:

James M-S said:
polished lights make a car look so much fresher. :cool:

Hope you're pleased with the outcome :thumb:

Agreed. Had mine done and they really freshen up the front.

I got fed up of polishing mine so I've had them flatted back and clear coated with a UV stable lacquer and they look amazing now.

Like the idea of a lacquer not seen any places that offer that service.
I believe they had a lacquer coat as original and this is what deteriorates in the first place.
Will have to find a place that does re-coating, would have thought most spray shops could do it.

The lacquer is all-important. Without it, they just fog up again in next to no time.Good bodyshops can machine polish them and add lacquer to prevent it happening so soon after.

polished mine last summer with the maguirs kit
they came up ok at the time but with no uv lacquer added they look worse this summer than they did before i did them :roll:

Looks like you need to send them to a good bodyshop who can apply the lacquer and make the result a longer-lasting one. They have the variety of cutting pastes and polishes, the DA sander and the lacquers as well as probably experience of restoring more headlights than a private owner.

I used this guy last year great service took about 4 hours to do both lights and very pleased with the results, his based in the South East:
http://www.brite-lites.co.uk

Got lights refurbished and they look really good. will keep them good using mcguires perspex polish. They also have a headlight spray which is claimed to stop them deteriorating again. Will try it and see what happens.

I suspect that perspex polish will keep removing the top layer of plastic.

If you've had them coated (laquered?) don't use a polish or you'll gradually wear through it. If you haven't, get them laquered.

Any bodyshop will do it especially as its so easy to remove headlights on a 996. Nice quick earner for them. I paid £100 to have mine flatted and clear coated and its a superb job.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back