Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Magnetic sump plug

Hooner

Spa-Francorchamps
HI fellows,
I recently fitted a magnetic sump plug about 250 miles ago, the car has done 111k and never had a magnetic plug up until now.
I dropped the oil and inspected the plug at first i thought oh great its clean but on further inspection it had like a very fine coating of what i describe as a kind of metalic grease under the oil. sorry no pics as i wiped it.
is this normal the oil filter is clean and i ran a magnet over it as well.

I would say that's normal if it's the first time with a magnetic plug. There will have been some metal particles in the bottom of the sump that the filter has never seen.

Normal as said, just changed my oil and this is what you get with half of the oil/paste wiped away. Better there than flowing around your engine.

41700981775_dfca64e5b9_z.jpg

Thanks a lot for the replies chaps. much appreciated, looks like im good to go ye haaa! :thumbs:

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd update this one to ask if a 996 sump plug is the same as a 986, ie M18/150?
Thanks! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back