Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alarm Query

bullet7

Trainee
I'm about to go to France sailing with Brittany Ferries and they have stated in their final email that they ask for alarms to be switched off once you are onboard. I can't see anywhere in the handbook where you can just lock the car without the alarm going on too, so I presume you can't have one without the other. Does anyone know if you can easily isolate the alarm?

No problem if you don't lock it.

Demorts your man for this, but all I can guess is that worst case you could unplug the alarm horn under the front scuttle panel, so that way if you lock the car normally and the alarm does go off, your hazards will flash but no siren will bother the ferry staff.

PS. You could leave it unlocked but I wouldn't be keen on that if I had my car full of gear for a road trip.

Blimy now heres a question ive never been asked before or have indeed even thought about ..

If you lock it with the key or the fob it will be alarmed .. if you double press the fey fob on locking it will turn off interior monitoring but im pretty sure the tilt sensor will still be active .

The tilt sensor is the problem .. the boat will in theory rock in bad weather , the alarm will consider that a jacking / removeing the car alarm and will trigger .

Nothing in the handbook so im only left with one option ..

Youll have to get a garage to code off the tilt sensor , i would do the siren whilst i was at it .. then have it recoded when you get back.

Disconnecting the horn .. well you would need to do the siren as well and that involves moveing the battery , unbolting the thing , ignition on then removeing it .. also if not coded off it can also trigger the alarm .. codeing is everything these days im afraid .

All that would do would be the alarm would trigger but not make a noise .. it will still probably flatten the battery with the lights going off , then resetting and triggering again .

Tough question for this time of night on a friday .. couple of well earned beers dont help .. i dont like to think too much on fridays :D

How many cars can you switch off the alarm? How many people will? I never have.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a similar issue coming up for the Le Mans classic, there are quite a few threads around but none that seem to offer a resolution, de morts suggestion above is the first vaguely practical solution I've seen.

Siren or not, I'd be worried about a flat battery if the alarm was triggering all the time on a 8 hour crossing.

Leaving it unlocked is not really an option unless you unload the car but the ferry co object to you taking loads of suitcases with you as well.

Is the alarm the same on the 996.1 and 2?

The alarm is the same for both and codeing off the tilt sensor ( and siren ) will work as ive done it before but not for this reason ....

The tilt sensor can go faulty so ive removed them in the past and coded them off so its no longer active.

This is the only thing i can think of im afraid.

Thanks for all the advice, especially you as usual Demort. I'm surprised no-one else has asked the question before because thousands of 996's must have crossed the channel before and faced this. I'm not keen on leaving it unlocked as I really don't want to take everything that is valuable out of it. I guess I'm going to lock it and take a chance it's not choppy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back