Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boring question - first Adblue fill up

FredGT3

Monza
Our new Cayenne 3.0d needs a top up after 4.5k miles, any do or don't do tips in terms of where to buy and how to fill.

Regards
Fred

I found it easier (but not cheaper) to fork out for the 4 litre 'kit' to start with - comes with the little screw on syphon jobbie - then buy 10 litres at a time - sure that you could just use a funnel, but AdBlue is $hitty stuff and I didn't want it going everywhere.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/.../diesel-system-additives/?542770532&0&cc5_862

It is a 5 minute job at most, assuming the filler is easy to get at

surely any petrol station will sell the stuff ?

I'm sure i've see stacks of it when i'm going in to pay for my petrol....

As Mike has mentioned above buy a 5 litre container full with a flexible filling nozzle.Think they cost about £14 at a Shell garage. Keep the container and fill it back up at the lorry adblue pump. It will cost you about half the price or just go to the pump and fill directly.

Thanks guys, I knew you could buy it from petrol stations. I was interested to see if anyone had been told you must book it in with an OPC. A friend at work bough one at the same time as me and he was told that if they didn't do it the warranty would be invalidated.

I thought this was tosh so interested in opinion here.

Regards
Fred

Any one can top it up , certainly doesnt have to be an OPC .

From memory though you need the correct bottle so that it doesnt over fill .

Only other interesting fact .. if it actually gets too low the engine will stop and not restart from what ive read ... but i think we are talking 20k plus miles without a top up to get close to that .

I need to do more research on this :D

Cheapest place I've found for your pig pee is Morrisons, as others have said it's horrible stuff try not to spill it.
There are gizmos you can buy to fill it but I just use a funnel, probably similar to the one they collect it with or was that another film!
I've a Touareg and I'm assuming you'll have similar set up, tank in the boot where the spare used to be. Only problem I had was that when the warning symbol comes up there is a certain procedure for resetting it and I got it wrong so it had to go to VW to be done on the Super Computer, they actually topped up the tank, reset it and only charged me for the wee wee, so not taking the p1$$, had to get it in!

:)

deMort said:
Any one can top it up , certainly doesnt have to be an OPC .

From memory though you need the correct bottle so that it doesnt over fill .

Only other interesting fact .. if it actually gets too low the engine will stop and not restart from what ive read ... but i think we are talking 20k plus miles without a top up to get close to that .

I need to do more research on this :D

our X5 lasted on its factory fill for ages (about 16k miles I think), but I've heard of Land/Range Rovers getting through the stuff a lot quicker than that. On BMWs at least there are stages and warnings before you get to the point where the car will not re-start. Oh, and I too bought the largest container from Halfords as they were the cheapest at the time.

:thumbs:

My X5 has a setting on the computer where you can check the AdBlue level and it tells you how much you need to add - I generally top it up with about 4-5 litres at a time - about half a tank.

It goes through two warning stages and you don't want to get to the second one!

If you read the post that the Mod embedded you will see why you don't want the OPC to fill it for you! The price they charge really is taking the pi$$!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back