Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 15
997 : 2004- 64
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 19
Cayman : 2005- 10
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Cy00

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well executed mods. good job.

Just a query on the seats, do the current seats have side airbags? if not, how did you get rid of the airbag warning light?

Magic919
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy option is to code them out.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to finally see this car on this forum now. MINI+997 FTW.

We'd all still want to learn about the catastrophic engine failure though. Dont know

OllyW
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what Hartech have said, there was major internal failure. It could have been rebuilt, but the money wasn't a million miles away from a full new motor with a 2 year Porsche warranty. My head told me to go that route.

It's my pride and joy and wouldn't do anything unless it was done properly. The new engine feels great and I'm more than happy knowing it's brand new and under warranty with Porsche. 750 miles done so far, just looking forward to hitting 1000 so I can get it back to Hartech for a check over, oil change, and then start to open it up a little bit more.

Jamie_c

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Its good to see a bit of tasteful modding to a 997.

I've been considering a set of those seats for ages but haven't pulled the trigger yet, too worried they might be uncomfortable and make it difficult getting access into the rear with the fixed backs.

OllyW
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie_c wrote:
Nice work! Its good to see a bit of tasteful modding to a 997.

I've been considering a set of those seats for ages but haven't pulled the trigger yet, too worried they might be uncomfortable and make it difficult getting access into the rear with the fixed backs.

I see you're in Leeds, not too far away. You're more than welcome to try them if you're passing Teesside.

With them all the way forward on the runners it is a seriously tight squeeze to get in the back. I've taken my rear seats out anyway but was curious to see if it's possible. I'd say realistically not, unless the seat was mounted to the runners slightly further forward so that in it's forwardmost position, it may be possible for kids to squeeze behind.

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys removing your rear seats , did you know there is a rear seatbelt delete kit available ,to tidy up the holes the belts go through

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997RSD.html

weebz
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OllyW wrote:
From what Hartech have said, there was major internal failure. It could have been rebuilt, but the money wasn't a million miles away from a full new motor with a 2 year Porsche warranty. My head told me to go that route.

It's my pride and joy and wouldn't do anything unless it was done properly. The new engine feels great and I'm more than happy knowing it's brand new and under warranty with Porsche. 750 miles done so far, just looking forward to hitting 1000 so I can get it back to Hartech for a check over, oil change, and then start to open it up a little bit more.

Conrod, cylinder crack, valves, cam chain, oil starvation? or just a catashtropic engine failure Dont know

Nice to know you have a new engine though, and if the cost implication was negligiable then nice to have the engine warrantied from Porsche, how's that work with not having a OPC warranty on a modified car?

Like others I prefered the other wheels, but also like the BBS, would love to run mine lower but with the crappy roads and speed bumps around here not really doable.

Seats look awesome too Thumb

OllyW
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
you guys removing your rear seats , did you know there is a rear seatbelt delete kit available ,to tidy up the holes the belts go through

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997RS
D.html

To be honest the holes are so insignificant that I don't mind them whatsoever. No one will be sitting in the back to see them Thumb

Magic919
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any parts bought from Porsche have a two year warranty. Nothing to do with the extended warranty you buy.

The engine probably suffered bore scoring.

OllyW
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wanting to increase the front camber a fair bit. Any advice? Best way to do it?
I'm in a different world to what I'm used to. With the MINIs, £250 gets you a pair of decent adjustable top mounts but that's not looking like it's the case here!

weebz
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSS has a whole suite of adjustable suspension components available.

May be worth give Centre of Gravity a call to discuss options or available parts.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add camber plates or lower arms to change camber, but the former tend to be fixed and the latter, very expensive...

I ordered fully adjustable camber plates from Vorshlag at around $400+ but they didn't fit the H&R lowering springs (I don't know why just now, something is off with either my ability to order or the supply). It shouldn't be impossible ...

ninenineseven
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OllyW wrote:
I'm wanting to increase the front camber a fair bit. Any advice? Best way to do it?
I'm in a different world to what I'm used to. With the MINIs, £250 gets you a pair of decent adjustable top mounts but that's not looking like it's the case here!

I'm looking into this myself at the moment, cheapest i've found so far is Tarret but they're not adjustable they just give you -1.1 degrees of extra camber.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod130393/Front-Monoball-Shock-Mount---Set-Of-2-for-Porsche-996---997---986---987----TARETT/

Elephant Racing have camber adjustable mounts but quite expensive IMO.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod137720/QuickChange-camber-plates-Porsche--996-997-C2---986---987/

I really like the look of Ground Control which are camber/caster adjustable but there doesn't seem to be a UK distributor - it also looks like they will custom make them to suit the ID of the BC springs.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/997-camber-plates/products/porsche-997-camber-plate?variant=36678097731

OllyW
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ground Control camber plates don't look badly priced actually. But why it doesn't mention the range of available camber, I don't know.

Anyone know the answer? I'm wanting at least -2.5 so I can get the car set up for fast road/track and have no rubbing of tyres.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these adjustable lower arms from Eibach (up to 2 degrees of camber) in the design911 webshop, but haven't looked for any reviews yet. Really need to spend some more time on the US sites like rennlist.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod136142/Adjustable-Lower-Control-Arm-Kit-for-Porsche---EIBACH/

£525 before discount.

crash7
Montreal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olly, in the world of Porsche unfortunately there are limited options and none are cheap!

You can dial in a little camber on the standard top mounts, the mounting holes in the strut top are slotted, if your lucky you may get to neg 1.5 dependent on ride height etc - The down side being that by moving the strut top inboard to increase camber you lose track width.

Adjustable, two piece, lower control arms are the way the factory adjust camber, these are fitted to GT/Cup cars and available from Porsche.

Adjustable top mounts with the sliding adjustment are not commonplace, GT3 monoball top mounts have a motorsport mounting position which allows the damper to be mounted as outboard as possible to increase trackwidth while providing the maximum camber.

If your looking for circa neg 2-2.5, I would go for Porsche/Adjustable LCA's. - These with around 7mm of shim coupled with the slots in the strut mount should get you where you want to be. - From memory a pair from Porsche were around £1k, I believe the RSS items to be about the same.

Off-Topic, great rims, BBS E are immense!

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash7 wrote:
Olly, in the world of Porsche unfortunately there are limited options and none are cheap!

You can dial in a little camber on the standard top mounts, the mounting holes in the strut top are slotted, if your lucky you may get to neg 1.5 dependent on ride height etc - The down side being that by moving the strut top inboard to increase camber you lose track width.

Adjustable, two piece, lower control arms are the way the factory adjust camber, these are fitted to GT/Cup cars and available from Porsche.

Adjustable top mounts with the sliding adjustment are not commonplace, GT3 monoball top mounts have a motorsport mounting position which allows the damper to be mounted as outboard as possible to increase trackwidth while providing the maximum camber.

If your looking for circa neg 2-2.5, I would go for Porsche/Adjustable LCA's. - These with around 7mm of shim coupled with the slots in the strut mount should get you where you want to be. - From memory a pair from Porsche were around £1k, I believe the RSS items to be about the same.

Agreed. As far as I can make out, you can get top mounts from Taret, Elephant, Vorshlag and Ground Control, all around $450-500. And the OEM GT3 as well. Don't know what they cost. Almost afraid to ask.

As to LCAs, I think the choices are OEM (GT3), RSS, and Eibach, with the latter about one half or one third of the others in terms of cost. They look easy to adjust but I was still looking for anyone with any experience of the Eibachs before I pull the trigger.

I have about 1.3 degrees of camber at the front (which helps in the corners), but I do need to space them out again as they look pretty tucked.

Jamie_c

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally pulled the trigger on a set of those seats! What did you do with regards to the airbag light? Code it out, add a resistor or just ignore the light?

Thanks

OllyW
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie_c wrote:
I've finally pulled the trigger on a set of those seats! What did you do with regards to the airbag light? Code it out, add a resistor or just ignore the light?

Thanks

I've just been ignoring it. It would be nice for it to be gone but it doesn't bother me too much, seeing as I know the reason it's there.

Which did you go for? The leather or Alcantara?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: