Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo 997.1 Tiptronic S Major Service advice

JP_Turbo

Silverstone
Gents,

My car is currently on 57k, From what I understand the previous owner has changed the spark plugs around a year ago at 50k odd miles.

My car has FPSH its currently in the garage getting a coolant hose replaced (No.5 Garage in Chiswick/acton) They suggested while the car is there I should get the plugs done and the service (as the indicator is on)

It doesnt have warranty and I dont plan on going to porsche to get bent over to put one on...

Should I continue with the Porsche OPC service history or does it matter if I just get them to do it? I.e. re-sale value

Cheers

JP

What does your documentation say?
If you have FPSH, and all services done within acceptable time frames, and it's documented that the plugs were changed when you say, or rather when you were led to be believe, I would show this to your Indy.
They can reset your service indicator for you.

pzero said:
What does your documentation say?
If you have FPSH, and all services done within acceptable time frames, and it's documented that the plugs were changed when you say, or rather when you were led to be believe, I would show this to your Indy.
They can reset your service indicator for you.

I have got invoices in the history where plugs and coils were changed at the same time.

Also car was owned by a previous forum member, so seen a thread where he has mentioned he has changed them.

Thinking about just getting the "major service" stamp for its history and oil and filter, air filter etc done only

Don't have the service unless it's approaching 2 years since the last one.

Plugs are every 4 years so definitely don't change them.

T8 said:
Don't have the service unless it's approaching 2 years since the last one.

Plugs are every 4 years so definitely don't change them.

Thanks will give them a miss then. WIll double check when I look at the history tonight.

Might get N0.5 to do the brake fluid at least... is the interval 5 years on these aswell?

Because I know most dealers forget to stamp the other part of the book where the brake fluid services are stamped.

JP_Turbo said:
Might get N0.5 to do the brake fluid at least... is the interval 5 years on these aswell?

Because I know most dealers forget to stamp the other part of the book where the brake fluid services are stamped.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years.

The page to be stamped can be found a couple of pages after the services pages.

Plugs at an OPC is around £800 (at least that was what I was quoted) which is a bit of an "ouch". T8 is right about brake fluid, but my OPC tried and couldn't free the bleed nipples, and as they can't repair calipers "sorry sir, we only replace..." they declined to change my fluid.

I'm with you regarding a full OPC history, but I was advised that it only adds in the region of £500 to the car's value. :eek:

Good luck either way

hedgehogsdad said:
I'm with you regarding a full OPC history, but I was advised that it only adds in the region of £500 to the car's value. :eek:

Good luck either way

I was told the same thing by the used car sales manager at an OPC .. non porsche or missing service history , its all the same as any car on a 111 would have a major service if any doubt of the service history .

OPC cant repair calipers and they are not allowed to use third partys to do the repair but plenty of places can .. the joke is at OPC they tend to not remove the wheel and only do the outer nipple through the wheel .. thats what cause the inner to seize .. its not been removed for years .

Most turbo owners I know service them yearly, as they age and milage increase they need more tlc. You don't need to stamp the book every year.

In terms of No5 although they have been around for years they are not very well known in the Porsche world. I would either do a basic service at an opc with menu pricing and any work that needs doing if OPC quote is high go with a more reputable indie if cheaper(not always the case)

With regards to the plugs why do No5 think it needs to changed now, is your car modded or is their misfire? Even if the plugs have been changed a year ago, the plugs maybe some cheapo ones that are causing issues now(this is quite common)

hedgehogsdad said:
Plugs at an OPC is around £800 (at least that was what I was quoted) which is a bit of an "ouch". T8 is right about brake fluid, but my OPC tried and couldn't free the bleed nipples, and as they can't repair calipers "sorry sir, we only replace..." they declined to change my fluid.

Good luck either way

Callughan911 said:
Most turbo owners I know service them yearly, as they age and milage increase they need more tlc. You don't need to stamp the book every year.

In terms of No5 although they have been around for years they are not very well known in the Porsche world. I would either do a basic service at an opc with menu pricing and any work that needs doing if OPC quote is high go with a more reputable indie if cheaper(not always the case)

With regards to the plugs why do No5 think it needs to changed now, is your car modded or is their misfire? Even if the plugs have been changed a year ago, the plugs maybe some cheapo ones that are causing issues now(this is quite common)

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I will get Porsche Hatfield to do the minor stuff at a premium (even though I could probably do it myself) then get No.5 to do the add on's.

The car isnt mis firing or anything, but while the bumper is off to do the work and exhaust is removed from turbo's there is alot of room to replace plugs and they said it was a good time to do so...

Thanks for the suggestions but I was also thinking if the car was in the market the potential buyer would be alot more attracted to the car if it had FPSH? Thats the dilema. Granted sometimes these cars take 6-12 months to sell perhaps more... who knows? Esp. without warranty on it...

My car hasn't been to an OPC for servicing for 9 years, my first and only experience wasn't a good one. The independent I use are trustworthy and do the job properly (always bleed both caliper nipples as an example).

From my experience, I'd rather see stamps from a respected indy rather than a highly target driven OPC.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back