Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 Carrera 2 newbie's first impressions

Counter Of Beans

I've had the car for a week now, and thought you might be interested in my initial thoughts, and plans for the car.
The car is a three owner Arctic Silver 2011 997.2 Carrera 2 (non-S) with 33k miles, for which I paid £38k.
Anyway, first driving impressions.......#1 is the steering. Totally different to any other car I've driven, very direct with plenty of feel. You really feel connected to the road - although my other car is a Range Rover which is more like piloting a boat!
#2, I love the looks of these cars, and everyone has gone "ooh, a Porsche, it's lovely, you lucky sod!" or words to that effect.
#3, the fact that it's unique; i.e. there's no other flat 6 rear engine car in existence, and fairly soon they'll stop making new (6 pot naturally aspirated) ones I'd imagine, if they still do that is.
Right then, dislikes:
The standard multifunction steering wheel, hmm, no, sorry. I've already sourced a Sport Design paddle shift 991.1 wheel off Ebay which I'll fit soon.
The ride height, especially at the front. I'm after Techart springs but no-one seems keen to sell me any - I've asked both Tech 9 and Parr without reply so far - any ideas? I don't want more than a 20mm drop because we're infested with speed bumps round here. I'd love Ohlins Track & Road but £2.2k plus fitting; yikes!
The noise, or lack of it. I'll probably get a Gundo hack, and if that's not enough I'll get a cat back system from TopGear in Bridport.
The wheels - 18 inch Carrera 4 which I do like, but it needs spacers. Got a 15mm and 7mm hub centric set, with new bolts, on the way.
The exhaust tips (standard oval ones) are very dull, despite my polishing attempts. So some "S" style stainless jobbies will do, I think. Either as part of, or instead of, the TopGear system.
The PDK's insistence that "you will be in 7th gear as soon as possible" is a bit odd, but I'll get Porsche to retrofit Sports Mode.
Oh, and most importantly, a full service to include spark plugs, PDK clutch oil, and drive belt - looks like those haven't been done even though they should have been. I'll try Brookspeed since I live in Fareham.

Finally, why didn't I buy an "S"? Because I enjoy taking a base version and (in my opinion) tastefully modding it, rather than buying a ready made package. Plus "S" cars were £4k more expensive!
Thanks for reading - if you've made it this far!! Pics to follow when it's all done.

Great summary and seems like you have a clear vision in which you wish to take the car whilst in your custody. I get the impression that some people need to apologise for not getting this model or that model. I would say that after visiting Porsche on the Prom on Sunday in Wales that it doesn't matter which model you have, what is more important is that you enjoy and care for your car whilst you own it, hopefully handing over to the new owner in a better state than you found it. I had a great chat with an old digger who had a lovely 911T from '68 or so. The passion he had for the car eclipsed the performance or value of the car by miles.
Enjoy in good health and good luck with your plans :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to report. It makes interesting reading.

All 911s except GT cars are now turbocharged so you are indeed owning and driving a dinosaur* :grin:

Enjoy the 'modding' experience and get those photos up asap. :thumb:

*This isn't a dig. imo all 911 Carreras should be rear engined normally aspirated flat-sixes.

Very good post mate , great to hear your pleased with it and your planning to add some subtle mods to personalise it.
to try and answer some questions
RE the PDK and love of 7th gear lol. when you have fitted the Sport wheel with the paddles you may well find you drive in manual mode a lot of the time as its easy and fun, so leaving the auto mode for those long boring trips. if you want the retro sport option its about £800 from your OPC but I would play Bournemouth and Portsmouth off to get the best price my thoughts are expect 15% discount by the time you have finished with them lol. but at least 10% should be offered.
re the exhaust Topgear would be my preference over a gundo on a gen2
valved boxes and rear box delete then if you want more 200 cell cats which are linked to the headers as a single unit with the gen2 so the whole set us is then stainless this will add bhp as its lighter with better gas exit as well as sound good . the gundo on its own without doing the rear muffler delete on a gen2 wont sound good , personally I think the gundo is ok on the gen1 but not so good on the DFI engine. tips Alex has lots of options at topgear call Alex there as he will give you a 10% discount code to use off their web prices.
techart springs as your not having much luck with 2 of the UK distributors
try JASMINE PORSCHALINK UK as they also do Techart failing that an email directly to techart will prompt them to pass it you a UK supplier who with then contact you as they have been proded by techart (been there done that lol).
Brookspeed, good call they are top guys and are currently doing my gearbox rebuild on my gen2 (why didnt I buy a PDK LOL)
18" alloys if you have bad roads the 18s are going to be a nicer ride but I do prefer the look of 19s but thats personal taste.

I am impressed how much research you have already done as you have a clear set of ideas and based on facts you have gathered. look forward to pics and at simply porsche if your going on 3rd June :thumb: :thumb:

I'm on my 2nd 'Base model' 997.2 PDK. Brilliant cars.
If you want a lot of noise go for a gundo (use PCW - £250 and he comes to you).
On the gen2 you have a centre box that really strangles the sound. You could either get Paul (PCW) to modify it or replace it with either an X or Cross-over pipe.

I've had a PCW gundo done and have a Miltek crossover pipe fitted. Together they produce 98db, which is louder than a Corsa in McDonald's carpark on a Saturday night. - Lovely ;-)

👀 g forward to some before and after pics. My old base 996 was one of my best loved 911 the 997 4S I didn't seem to get too excited but now the 997 turbo gets me up in a morning all excited!! It could have just been a life timing think, or the lack of it with the 4S.

Enjoy and be safe :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Very good post mate , great to hear your pleased with it and your planning to add some subtle mods to personalise it.
RE the PDK and love of 7th gear lol. when you have fitted the Sport wheel with the paddles you may well find you drive in manual mode a lot of the time as its easy and fun, so leaving the auto mode for those long boring trips. if you want the retro sport option its about £800 from your OPC but I would play Bournemouth and Portsmouth off to get the best price my thoughts are expect 15% discount by the time you have finished with them lol. but at least 10% should be offered.
valved boxes and rear box delete then if you want more 200 cell cats which are linked to the headers as a single unit with the gen2 so the whole set us is then stainless this will add bhp as its lighter with better gas exit as well as sound good . the gundo on its own without doing the rear muffler delete on a gen2 wont sound good , personally I think the gundo is ok on the gen1 but not so good on the DFI engine. tips Alex has lots of options at topgear call Alex there as he will give you a 10% discount code to use off their web prices.
try JASMINE PORSCHALINK UK as they also do Techart failing that an email directly to techart will prompt them to pass it you a UK supplier who with then contact you as they have been proded by techart (been there done that lol).
Brookspeed, good call they are top guys and are currently doing my gearbox rebuild on my gen2 (why didnt I buy a PDK LOL)
18" alloys if you have bad roads the 18s are going to be a nicer ride but I do prefer the look of 19s but thats personal taste.

I am impressed how much research you have already done as you have a clear set of ideas and based on facts you have gathered. look forward to pics and at simply porsche if your going on 3rd June :thumb: :thumb:

:floor: :floor: :floor: Counter of beans got in first with all the mods BEFORE Phil could even suggest them ... respect :worship:

spongebob squarepants said:
Phil 997 said:

:floor: :floor: :floor: Counter of beans got in first with all the mods BEFORE Phil could even suggest them ... respect :worship:

:floor: :floor: I know , how impressed was I :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Good post :thumb:

Dare I say.... black dials also look nicer than the white ones in a
carrera S :grin:

I always refer to mine as 'the misery spec 911'.

If you're coming to TRAX at Donington you can have listen to my exhaust, just centre silencer bypass (h&s).

There is also a variation on the gundo hack you can do (banana hack), which mimics the PSE. A bit more subtle than simply joining inlet and outlet pipes of the rear muffler, it does pass through some of the back box.

Ah, funny you should say that, Ben; I've had a PM chat with Alex at TopGear exhausts, and he's explained the valved catback exhaust that they do. My sensible side says "get a Gundo and take it from there", my middling side says "centre muffler bypass then take it from there", and my silly side says "full stainless system, you know you want to".

As for 200 cell cats, different manifold etc. I think that's a step too far for me. I did that on my BMW 335i a while back and it was just too much, the car was basically too fast for our roads and produced a very raspy noise.

Track days don't interest me, and the roads round here (M27 corridor) are so congested that having a super-fast car is a bit pointless (why I didn't look at 911 turbos). Noise, however, within reason, is always desirable. Soon enough we'll all be in electric cars with no engine noise at all!

I'm hoping to hear a few exhaust mods in the flesh at a Porsche meet before purchasing.

I do want lots of noise but also want to the option to turn the noise off.

I like the sound of Les's exhaust but wouldn't want that noise all the time.

benbuhagiar said:
I'm on day 5 of Porsche ownership and also in a 997.2 3.6 PDK.

I'm very much enjoying the gearbox and don't mind it shifting up very quickly.

Agree it needs more noise. I'm on the waiting list for this https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-2-carrera-valved-cat-back?product_type=exhausts

Ben as I mentioned to Mike dont forget Topgear are a forum sponsor and as such offer a 10% discount to forum members so dont forget to ask for it, or ask for the code if buying it online :thumb: :thumb: the other option if theres a few thinking of a new exhaust or part of ,would be to see if Alex would run another group buy . I seem to remember he only needed 5 to offer 15% discount the last one he did just after Xmas they had 100 orders so actually went to 20% but that was an exceptionally popular group buy that attracted members from overseas as well. :thumb:

Is there a mod that can be done to the TopGear system to make it a bit louder when the valve is open?

Also looking at Air intakes - what are my options Phil?

Phil 997 said:
benbuhagiar said:
I'm on day 5 of Porsche ownership and also in a 997.2 3.6 PDK.

I'm very much enjoying the gearbox and don't mind it shifting up very quickly.

Agree it needs more noise. I'm on the waiting list for this https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-2-carrera-valved-cat-back?product_type=exhausts

Ben as I mentioned to Mike dont forget Topgear are a forum sponsor and as such offer a 10% discount to forum members so dont forget to ask for it, or ask for the code if buying it online :thumb: :thumb: the other option if theres a few thinking of a new exhaust or part of ,would be to see if Alex would run another group buy . I seem to remember he only needed 5 to offer 15% discount the last one he did just after Xmas they had 100 orders so actually went to 20% but that was an exceptionally popular group buy that attracted members from overseas as well. :thumb:

I'd be up for a group buy also if there's enough interest.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back