Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rock around the clock or not?

Tobyone

Nurburgring
Guys I have a 997.1 Tiptronic.

first of all can anyone tell my why in Auto it always starts in 2nd and is that putting extra load on the engine and is that a problem waiting to happen?

I now use the rockers in manual mode pretty well all the time now, it was a pain in the A*** to start with as the controls are never where you left them,
pretty much got used to it now so all is better tan expected.

Also the changes are now to quick one rocker is pressed, a good second or so delay?

How do you guys with a Tip box get on with it and any tips?? :?:

Toby, the 2nd gear pull away is what the experts say is the reason the gen1 tip sufferes borescore more than the manual as it strains the engine. I did the same as you and always drove it on the rockers using 1st to pull away. I found the gen1 rockers were a pain so did the gen2 wheel swap as the gen2 has more erganomic rockers and much easier to use I was happy with that option but others have gone down the gen2 sports wheel option that has flappy paddles . this upgrade with the wheel , airbag and newer steering control module will cost £1000 if parts are brought used like the wheel and airbag or £15/1800 if parts are brought new , the wheels are airbags are readily avail on ebay used the steering control modules are harder of find used but new they are about £250.

re the delay in the box, the tip box has the ability to learn your driving style so if your town driving etc start stop it learns a lazy style this can be reset by the sharp kickdown which is fine but it will very quickly relearn the lazy style. So what I did to overcome this was fit a sprint booster this fits under the go pedal and has multi settings I had the older smaller 3 setting one and hid the control unit in my ashtray so easily accesable but hidden the newer units have many more settings but are bigger . the sprint booster fools the gas pedal into thinking your driving more aggressivly than you actually are this in turn keeps the tip box in a more alert and aggressive mode with faster gear changes.
the spring booster gives you a similar effect to having a sport button , yes some will say but just drive it harder as thats all the SB does but we dont drive like that most of the time especially if its a daily in the town. so you have to use a devise to trick it into thinking your driving like that when your not.
I had my tip for 4 years and thats what I did to overcome the same things your asking about so these are not suggestions of opinions from someone thats done done it they are factual info from someone that had the same issues your saying you have. I was very pleased with the results of both the mods wheel and sprint booster on my gen1 tip.

:thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Toby, the 2nd gear pull away is what the experts say is the reason the gen1 tip sufferes borescore more than the manual as it strains the engine. I did the same as you and always drove it on the rockers using 1st to pull away. I found the gen1 rockers were a pain so did the gen2 wheel swap as the gen2 has more erganomic rockers and much easier to use I was happy with that option but others have gone down the gen2 sports wheel option that has flappy paddles . this upgrade with the wheel , airbag and newer steering control module will cost £1000 if parts are brought used like the wheel and airbag or £15/1800 if parts are brought new , the wheels are airbags are readily avail on ebay used the steering control modules are harder of find used but new they are about £250.

re the delay in the box, the tip box has the ability to learn your driving style so if your town driving etc start stop it learns a lazy style this can be reset by the sharp kickdown which is fine but it will very quickly relearn the lazy style. So what I did to overcome this was fit a sprint booster this fits under the go pedal and has multi settings I had the older smaller 3 setting one and hid the control unit in my ashtray so easily accesable but hidden the newer units have many more settings but are bigger . the sprint booster fools the gas pedal into thinking your driving more aggressivly than you actually are this in turn keeps the tip box in a more alert and aggressive mode with faster gear changes.
the spring booster gives you a similar effect to having a sport button , yes some will say but just drive it harder as thats all the SB does but we dont drive like that most of the time especially if its a daily in the town. so you have to use a devise to trick it into thinking your driving like that when your not.
I had my tip for 4 years and thats what I did to overcome the same things your asking about so these are not suggestions of opinions from someone thats done done it they are factual info from someone that had the same issues your saying you have. I was very pleased with the results of both the mods wheel and sprint booster on my gen1 tip.

Phil your a star as ever thanks.

I did not seam the best thing to me to be constantly pulling away in 2nd.
My OPC said it was 'for comfort!'

Anyway I ignored that being an engineer.

Never had the slightest issue with my Gen 1 c4s at all in any way shape or form and hopefully it will stay that way.

Nice one Phil thanks for the info :D

I think I read recently that starting in 2nd was to help get lower emission classification!

Phil 997 said:

I swapped out my wheel for about £600, one of my favourite mods!

My turbo a 2009 I wonder if the turbo or the later gen1 tip boxes got a software change I don't feel mine lazy, yes it's chilled but it turns into mad dog pretty quickly. In sport my ne pulls away in 1st none sport 2nd should I be changing it down to 1st?

The 2nd gear pull away causing scoring makes no sense. There is no extra load on the engine, the torque converter in the box is unlocked, so the engine is spinning the impeller in the ATF. Its going to put some heat in the gearbox, but thats about it

agreed on the driving the C2 tip, start in 1st changed to a paddle wheel then added a sprint booster

I got loads saying I should not waste my money on the sprint booster but it did make a difference...

I got a 2015 paddle wheel and arbag, likely easier than sport design wheel now

the final solution for me was a 997.2 turbo PDK....

silvermilnec said:
Phil 997 said:

My turbo a 2009 I wonder if the turbo or the later gen1 tip boxes got a software change I don't feel mine lazy, yes it's chilled but it turns into mad dog pretty quickly. In sport my ne pulls away in 1st none sport 2nd should I be changing it down to 1st?

I will look at the wheel mod, looks straight forward enough.

Had heard before about the bore scoring not being helped by the 2nd gear pull away, no idea if this is a definite fact or not.

Tobyone said:
silvermilnec said:
Phil 997 said:

I will look at the wheel mod, looks straight forward enough.

Had heard before about the bore scoring not being helped by the 2nd gear pull away, no idea if this is a definite fact or not.
is yours m/f I did see a non m/f on eBay with air bag for sensible money👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back