Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM3 iPod cable

silvermilnec

I know it's been discussed but I couldn't find the answer.

When I bought my GEN 1 2009 turbo with pcm3 it came with the below cable.

I understand the power comes from the usb so why would you use this cable? I know it will connect but without charging it would be a pain to take out the iPod/phone to charge.
I think I'm going to go down the bovee route but just wondered about this cable.

Cheers

Attachments

• 3bf978f3_f699_4a6e_8e82_d7739e9d5717_177.jpeg
    3bf978f3_f699_4a6e_8e82_d7739e9d5717_177.jpeg
    843.6 KB · Views: 4,713
The older cable will charge the older Apple devices, but the three way cable is needed for later ones.

Graemep said:
The older cable will charge the older Apple devices, but the three way cable is needed for later ones.

Now that makes sense cheers :thumb:

Chris the Y cable as others have said is what you need and under £30 from your local OPC they normally have them is stock . :thumb:

the Bovee you want is the bovee 1000 :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Chris the Y cable as others have said is what you need and under £30 from your local OPC they normally have them is stock . :thumb:

the Bovee you want is the bovee 1000 :thumb:
cheers Phil, is seen on other threads I could get one cheap enough at opc.

I've never been bothered before but I've just started using Napster family, I've had Napster at home for the sonos but growing pressure from a growing family meant I had to upgrade, anyway I like it and miss not having it in the Porsche.
Does bovee show track details of a playlist?

Thanks for the link monster

Cheers guys :thumb:

Yes, the Bovee does show the track details of what its playing...mostly, but I think thats an ip[hone issue more than a bovee one as occasionally our 2012 Q7 doesn't show what its playing either.

I use spotify premium which I imagine is similar to napster and it shows tracks playing on the PCM3 You will see on your phone the bovee connected for music streaming and the PCM connected for phone calls :thumb:

Just took a drive down to the opc and picked one up £27 inc vat and with 10% discount, just need to find a used bovee one now or a bargain retail.

silvermilnec said:
just need to find a used bovee one now or a bargain retail.

Don't hang around - they just seem to keep getting more expensive. When they first came into discussion I am sure that you could get them for about £60. I finally bought one last November (upgraded to a new phone which was too big to fit in the arm rest cubby) and the best I could find was £74 from Amazon back then. Current Amazon price is £89 and the only cheaper option on eBay involves importing from the US (so plus shipping, plus import tax) :eek:

Disco said:
silvermilnec said:
just need to find a used bovee one now or a bargain retail.

Don't hang around - they just seem to keep getting more expensive. When they first came into discussion I am sure that you could get them for about £60. I finally bought one last November (upgraded to a new phone which was too big to fit in the arm rest cubby) and the best I could find was £74 from Amazon back then. Current Amazon price is £89 and the only cheaper option on eBay involves importing from the US (so plus shipping, plus import tax) :eek:

I have noticed that, I should have bought the one for sale on here for £70 including the lead. :?

I can't say I rate the bovee really. No track display, and you can't skip tracks either without touching the phone. I bought an official apple 30pin-lightening adapter cable, and you can't get track display or skip tracks on that either. (Music source is amazon music).

Bovee
advantages- music while using satnav app
Disadvantages- no charging, no track display, no fwd skip/pause. Slow to detect phone.

Apple cable
Advantages- music while charging, music while not charging, with other usb music source connected (thumb drive, other phone etc). Detects phone immediately (Obviously)
Disadvantages- phone must stay on passenger seat or in arm rest. No track display/skip/pause. Only works if you have apple phone (Obviously)

May as well charge from cig lighter and use 3.5mm audio cable. You get the same functionality.

Just my thoughts, the bovee is massively overpriced, and neither system will automatically resume music, you have to touch the phone.

Hope that helps.

James M-S said:
I can't say I rate the bovee really. No track display, and you can't skip tracks either without touching the phone. I bought an official apple 30pin-lightening adapter cable, and you can't get track display or skip tracks on that either. (Music source is amazon music).

I have the Bovee and use it to play music from the normal music app on an iPhone, for which it behaves exactly the same as if the phone was plugged into the wire (playlists, track display, etc...). It sounds like your problem is the implementation of the Amazon music app (have it, but have never tried it in the car).

Phil 997 said:
I use spotify premium which I imagine is similar to napster and it shows tracks playing on the PCM3 You will see on your phone the bovee connected for music streaming and the PCM connected for phone calls :thumb:

I can't believe no one as come up with a way of getting an iPhone 7 size phone into the armrest plugged in. I keep looking at it and thinking I'll buy a used plastic bit of the lid and get the dremel out :D

One last question oh wise one :floor: can you switch between playlist on Spotify and albums/artist saved onto the phone, hope that makes sense :thumbs:

Hi Chris, :floor:make me sound like confucius I know I am old but not that old :floor: not sure what James has done , and he may not be using the Y connector that you just brought and maybe trying to run it of the single lead like you had . but I can assure you mine displays tracks , can jump forward or back tracks on the album your listening to. stays charged up/ recharges. remembers where it was last unless you have been playing music on the phone while out of the car . to change tracks you can scroll through the library but I actually find it quicker to go into spotify on the phone find the album I want and start it playing that way . it probably does a lot more but I tend to play an album right through and then select another album I might skip the odd naff track but thats about all . :thumb: :thumb:

but dont let the kids get hold of it as its just not very cool window down shades on hair slicked playing bloody lion king at full volume :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back