Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Stereo surround help

MillsyKMS

Hi All.

I have the pcm.2 stereo/satnav installed in my 997.1 but its a little dated to look at.

Ive been looking at replacing it with a double din/apple play type touch screen unit and it seems a surround is required also.

After some research i have found it needs to be the CT23PO03 at around £40 delivered so not too bad but they are all advertised as
"for vehicles without cup holders" which is a little confusing as although mine has cup holders, they are not in the way of the stereo???

Can someone confirm that this is a) the right item for my car and b) that maybe the reason is that it fits other porsches that maybe does interfere with the cupholders?

Thanks MillsyKMS

they all say that mate , you may find you need to adjust things slightly as its more about the cup holder when in the closed position that can snag on the surround behind the dash but in honesty I never had an issue and havent heard of many who have . there are two types of surround the full box type or a side only type , I used the full box surround . :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0354_109.jpg
    img_0354_109.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,445
  • img_1008_253.jpg
    img_1008_253.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,445
Ah, That makes more sense as they are no where near when open 8)

Is there only one colour (anthracite) and where did you get yours? is it the model number i posted earlier?

Looks good :thumb:

they also do a black to match the PCM3 on the gen2 cars and the very rare black fascia gen1 cars think these must have been a custom order from the factory as you really see very few of them.

this seems to be the type on ebay, they are as close a match as you can get , unless you suffer serious OCD in which case there is a very expensive OE option it will take the opc a while to find it but you need to ask for the surround and fitting frame that was fitted to the Japanese export models as they were exported without the PCM 2.1 and were all fitted with an aftermarket head unit. and porsche fascia.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CT23PO03-Porsche-Boxter-Fitting/dp/B00GY79D0G

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...orsche-911--997----987-Boxster---987C-Cayman/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...780942?hash=item283939cc0e:g:Ea8AAOSwAO9ZV7ak

I have the silver one in, works and looks perfect. It was supplied by the people fitting the stereo at cost (halfords, don't laugh!, free fitting at the time!).

What unit are you looking at?

Have a look at

kenwood dmx7017dabs
Pioneer avh z5000dab

PCM2.1 is useless!

I have a Pioneer SPH DA120, but doesn't have android auto, but does have apple carplay. Works well.

Do you have steering wheel controls, and/or Bose?

I dont have the steering controls as wheel was upgraded to "thicker" when new.
It does have bose though.

Havent decided on which unit im buying, just trying to get the surround ready for when i do so i dont have to wait to install

Phil 997 said:
If you have Bose mate then your on fibre cables so you will need a MOST optical interface to connect the new headunit to the bose set up. lots of options available at varying prices , personally I used the navtv unit

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/navtv-most-bose-amp-stereo-wiring-harness-adaptor-for-porsche

That's why I asked Phil :) Add in about £250 for that cable alone.

Not sure lack of steering wheel controls is an upgrade! Multi Function steering wheel was an option, and a good one. I missed it when it wasn't working at one point when I was having my Pioneer put in loads.

resigner said:
Phil 997 said:
If you have Bose mate then your on fibre cables so you will need a MOST optical interface to connect the new headunit to the bose set up. lots of options available at varying prices , personally I used the navtv unit

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/navtv-most-bose-amp-stereo-wiring-harness-adaptor-for-porsche

That's why I asked Phil :) Add in about £250 for that cable alone.

Not sure lack of steering wheel controls is an upgrade! Multi Function steering wheel was an option, and a good one. I missed it when it wasn't working at one point when I was having my Pioneer put in loads.

YEP :grin: :grin: I realied thats why you asked mate and a good shout as its often overlooked until the last min and your spending money you hadnt budgeted for :thumb:

Kin ell that fibre cable is almost as expensive as a double din head unit.
Are there no cheaper fibre cables about ?

wildej said:
Kin ell that fibre cable is almost as expensive as a double din head unit.
Are there no cheaper fibre cables about ?

there are cheaper MOST optical interfaces, but cant say if they are any good or will last as I havent tried them. others may have some practical knowledge of trying cheaper options :thumb:

Don't underestimate how complicated the set up in a 997 is. Way beyond what it needs to be, but does work if you get it right.

A good example, in my non Bose car, the amp powers up based on the signal from what is effectively the electric aerial turn on/off linked to the ignition. If you don't connect the right wires, and a lot of leads don't, then the amp doesn't turn on, you don't get any bass, and you wonder wtf is going on for an age!

If you go ahead, sure we can help out as much as possible.

That pioneer I listed is really awesome. Phil will tell you Alpine in a minute :)

Personally, I want full on google maps from my phone, with "ok google" button functionality as well, so will upgrade at some point. for now, SPH DA120 is very good and inexpensive especially if you like Apple products.

Oh, and factor in selling the PCM2.1 for about £350 :)

resigner said:
Don't underestimate how complicated the set up in a 997 is. Way beyond what it needs to be, but does work if you get it right.

A good example, in my non Bose car, the amp powers up based on the signal from what is effectively the electric aerial turn on/off linked to the ignition. If you don't connect the right wires, and a lot of leads don't, then the amp doesn't turn on, you don't get any bass, and you wonder wtf is going on for an age!

If you go ahead, sure we can help out as much as possible.

That pioneer I listed is really awesome. Phil will tell you Alpine in a minute :)

:grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb: I did like my alpine but in all honesty you don't need to spend £800/1200 on a head unit ,there are some very good units out there for £300/400 with mirror link , etc

..or you could change everything, as I have done!

I went for the Pioneer AVIC F88DAB, brilliant unit, Apple CarPlay, Android, built in sat nav which is very good, capacitive glass touch screen and pretty much every feature you could want and lots you don't need! I think this is due for replacement soon so prices will drop, anything under £500 would be a massive bargain.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back