Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Carrera S PDK - new engine bay leak

M2SHD

Ok friends, looking for some thoughts please. New oil leak noticed, see photos.

Reported to dealer, they've recommended not using the car and it'll be getting collected by Porsche Assist but they can't take it for another three weeks. Not ideal now Summer is here. Only 1k miles since I bought it last August. Two year warranty so I'm strongly expecting this will be covered.

997.2 Carrera S, 2009, 37k miles, PDK.

I've circled in red where the oil appears to be coming through the casing.

Attachments

• img_3899_101.jpg
    img_3899_101.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,999
  • img_3896_148.jpg
    img_3896_148.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 3,999
  • img_3898_li_695.jpg
    img_3898_li_695.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 3,999
Do Not start the car or drive it !

It may well be oil from higher up but the part that is covered in oil is the high pressure fuel pump .. ive not seen that before so im on the side of caution here .

I dont actually think its oil .. i think its petrol .. can you smell it please .

It should well be covered by warrenty as thats not a small leak ... if it is petrol then its the pump and that would certainly be covered ...

It would also be bad to start the car with that leaking .. very bad .

deMort said:
Do Not start the car or drive it !

It may well be oil from higher up but the part that is covered in oil is the high pressure fuel pump .. ive not seen that before so im on the side of caution here .

I dont actually think its oil .. i think its petrol .. can you smell it please .

It should well be covered by warrenty as thats not a small leak ... if it is petrol then its the pump and that would certainly be covered ...

It would also be bad to start the car with that leaking .. very bad .

Thanks for the quick response. It's not been started since I noticed the leak on Sunday. It wasn't there when I left the garage but I spotted it when putting the bike away later that evening.

I've been out and sniffed the oil off the casing. Odourless - not petrol.

Ok thats a relief , one of the pictures shows a clear ish fluid that looks like its evaporateing and combined with where the leak is i was a little concerned .

Anyways .. best not to start the car and just have it recovered .

If it helps all Porsche garages are snowed under atm .. its that time of year and due to the weather cars have been later comeing out of their winter sleep .

Cant move in our workshop atm .. sigh .

deMort said:
Ok thats a relief , one of the pictures shows a clear ish fluid that looks like its evaporateing and combined with where the leak is i was a little concerned .

Anyways .. best not to start the car and just have it recovered .

If it helps all Porsche garages are snowed under atm .. its that time of year and due to the weather cars have been later comeing out of their winter sleep .

Cant move in our workshop atm .. sigh .

Did a quick Google on 997 High Pressure Fuel Pumps and it seems there was a recall. May be unrelated.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=1025154

It's disappointing. When I took ownership on August 1st, I only had the car two weeks before it was taken back for two months due to a faulty tracker. Then it was Winter in Scotland until pretty much last month!

Attachments

• img_2854_415.jpg
    img_2854_415.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 3,941
There was a huge recall on these pumps ( ive done countless replacements at OPC ) ..

It effected every model so Cayenne , Boxster 997 etc etc.

It wasnt for leaks though :)

DFI pump operates at very high pressures .. if a pipe fractured then the small jet of fuel could cut through steel .. hence ny concern !

Weather has been strange this year .. all the garages i know were late to pick up work .. its quiet in the winter and snowed under in the summer for Porsche garages but this year has been late picking up .

It's away. Will keep the thread updated as and when I hear anything.

Attachments

• img_4012_183.jpg
    img_4012_183.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 3,599
Hoping that your not off the road for long M2SHD, please keep us updated !

OK, so good news from Porsche:

"Your 911 has been diagnosed as a leaking High pressure fuel pump. This is operated through the camshaft rotation and has an oil feed where it is leaking from.

This repair is covered under warranty. The parts will arrive tomorrow."

And the response after I asked about the recalls on 997.2 fuel pumps:

"Yes the pump is going to be replaced.

I am not sure if you car was applicable but you will be receiving the latest level fuel pump."

Respect to deMort for the spot-on initial analysis!

What a result mate and dofs cap to demort :worship:

Btw, the car looks fab even on a tow truck so, get out there and enjoy it :thumb:

OK, so the car is back. I've been informed a new High Pressure Fuel Pump has been installed. I've included a photo below where you can see a new part in there.

All appears well but I've noticed the near side exhaust pipes are now 1cm lower and protruding by the same amount. Once you notice it, it's a pain. I need to decide on taking it back to get it refitted properly. It's been away too much already and I don't want to miss any more of the Summer. Also, the medium to longer term plan is to fit a new sports exhaust system anyway.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• img_4592_873.jpg
    img_4592_873.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 2,882
  • 911_pipes_uneven_268.jpg
    911_pipes_uneven_268.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 2,882
Mine failed a few weeks ago; the car has done about 22000 miles. 09.

Was replaced under warranty.

Did not notice a leak, but reduced engine power and then a message to take it to the workshop.

Rather strange the mechanic removed the tail pipe .. you dont need to at least i never have and ive done one or two shall we say .

Perhaps there was a problem with corroded bolts :dont know:

The usual failure of these it a warning and a very sick car .. if you look at the pressures on a tester then for us mechanics it gets scary as you see them going higher and higher .. i still remember the first one me and another mechanic were looking at and as we saw what the pressures were getting to we both shouted Turn it OFF as the same time lol .

Anyways i digress .. i was concerned it was a fuel leak which would be very bad but fuel or oil its a new fault to me and not as above and how they normally fail .

Btw if it has been off then its a waiting job to have it realigned , its only a pain when it hasent been removed in years .

I wouldn't bother going back specifically for the exhaust, especially if you plan to fit PSE.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back