Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo emissions all wrong

Eey_ore_9

had car in for pre mot today and emissions are all over the place so we put it on diagnostics and turns out 02 sensor on bank one has failed
car has been in storage for 4 months.
can anyone advise best place to get sensors from and do i need sensor precat or after cat? i haven't had chance to look up where bank one is yet.i last need oil pressure sensor switch too
any advice welcome

Any competent indy or any OPC will be able to sort this. The parts are probably only OPC suppplied (thats a guess) so you might as well get an OPC to sort it out.

The description indicates both lambdas have failed but only the pre cat has an effect on emissions.

Post cat should flag up an eml due to save the planet stuff and you havent mentioned that hence im not sure that one has actually failed .

Off hand i would have thought you would have some sort of running fault if the lambda sensor had failed .. also an eml light on .

Bank 1 is left side of the engine with the crank pully being the front of the engine .. n/s/r basically .

Try euro car parts for the sensors ... oil pressure sensor is a bit fiddly to change .

update for more info
when i started car idle was lumpy and up and down on revs, then when i took it to the garage (mot test centre) upon arrival i got a check engine light.
so on the emissions and they were all over r the place, so put auto diagnostics reader on and it came up with 02 sensor bank one faulty. so that was the end of attempt at putting new mot on it.
im wanting to do this job myself as front and rear bumpers are coming off to get redone as they've got a few stone chips on them and whilst these are off I'm going to do some refreshing and inspection so heat shields replaced turbos inspected etc etc. while I'm at it I'm going to do the oil pressure sensor as its a common fault.
priority is the 02 sensor fault (faults) and rectifying those first.

ok that makes more sense now .. lambda sensor required .

The post cat can be checked on a tester .. your looking for it to not switch on idle .. it should then switch high / low when a " good " blip on the throttle is done .

Pre cat sensors .. they have something called ageing .. the signal gets slower basically .. if you replace just one then it will switch faster as its new whilst the other one is slower due to age .

You MAY get a fault code later on for the other side and it will be an ageing fault.

See how it goes but be aware its a possibility you may have to replace the other side later on .

Thanks for that I'm going to do the two as bumper n load of bits have got to come off anyway! I wasn't sure which ones to order originally but things are a bit clearer thanks to you guys. So just to clarify iv got to order 2 lambda sensors to replace the two that are furthest back on the car?
Think iv found a place that do them considerably cheaper than dealer prices

Also hope that you can get the old ones out. When I replaced my cats, I couldn't get the old sensors out so had to buy 4 new ones. That was using the proper tools as well along with lots of heat etc.

Eey_ore_9 said:
Thanks for that I'm going to do the two as bumper n load of bits have got to come off anyway! I wasn't sure which ones to order originally but things are a bit clearer thanks to you guys. So just to clarify iv got to order 2 lambda sensors to replace the two that are furthest back on the car?
Think iv found a place that do them considerably cheaper than dealer prices

Pre cat sensors are the ones closest to the turbo .

're can't get sensors out.
If that's the case il be forced into getting a Kline super copper shiny bling new exhaust system then lmao

Fingers crossed they're totally seized in then :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back