Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Glasgow: Used Sales AVOID!!

Nik

Enquired about a car they had for sale, and the salesman came back with an offer. I went back to accept the offer the following morning and they refused, claiming that the prep costs were more than expected ????

Interestingly they then revised the asking price on the Approved Used website to increase it by £2k.

Never experienced behaviour like this from an OPC.... :nooo:

Surely they should have worked out their prep costs before putting the car up for sale ??? Quite appalled by their behaviour and won't be doing any business with them.

Had the same a good few months ago at OPC Leeds, they sent all the detail I needed to make an informed decision went back to them and the price had gone up 5k, when I questioned this it too was put down to cost of prep :dont know:

I just can't understand that. Have just purchased a car from Leeds and it wasn't all smooth sailing either.

I just don't get it sometimes....

I imagine that they don't actually start getting into the work until they have interest - then when they 'lift the bonnet' the technicians point out all the stuff that actually needs doing to stick a warranty on the car - pretty shoddy practice

Agreed.

Well, has put me off dealing with them.

You should've accepted the offer at the time.

You snooze, you lose.

No reason to avoid an OPC.

If you had accepted the offer and then they came back wanting more money saying more prep was needed than they thought, that would be a different matter.

Nik said:
Agreed.

Nik have yto tried ringing the centre principal? Its 2k thats nothing to an OPC, but their reputation is, or even Porsche UK?

PeterS said:

You snooze, you lose.

If you had accepted the offer and then they came back wanting more money saying more prep was needed than they thought, that would be a different matter.

Offer was made and I accepted overnight. Anyway, it's just the principle of that bugs me. Appreciate we all have different perspectives, but it's enough for me not to use them...

... unless they have a car that's totally mispriced of course!!

spongebob squarepants said:
Nik said:
Agreed.

Nik have yto tried ringing the centre principal? Its 2k thats nothing to an OPC, but their reputation is, or even Porsche UK?

Good point. The sales manager got involved and said they were sorry about not meeting my expectations. Have mentioned that the only issue is that they should have advertised before knowing the prep costs.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and sorry for the rant !!

Just to be clear, the staff have been very courteous and polite. :thumb:

It's just the process that has frustrated me.

Nik said:
PeterS said:

You snooze, you lose.

Offer was made and I accepted overnight. Anyway, it's just the principle of that bugs me. Appreciate we all have different perspectives, but it's enough for me not to use them...

... unless they have a car that's totally mispriced of course!!

It sounds like the offer was accepted and the opc has back tracked, if they have made a mistake with the price are they not legally obliged to take the financial hit and honour the price?

I'm afraid for all the bells and whistles of an OPC they are after all just used car salesmen! They have the same targets to achieve as your local Ford dealer, I think they abuse the "inspirational" emotion people have with the Porsche name. Not surprised they have acted in this way. Not sure why they feel they are doing you a favour in selling you a car

Gottans said:
It sounds like the offer was accepted and the opc has back tracked, if they have made a mistake with the price are they not legally obliged to take the financial hit and honour the price?
Strictly speaking, no. It's a common misconception that an advertised price must be honoured, but in fact any pricing is an "invitation to treat". It's just inviting you to offer that amount at which point the seller can either accept or decline. However, if the offer was made and accepted in writing then a contract is made and must be honoured otherwise there would be breach of contract.

It's a pretty poor show though and I'd be making it clear to the dealer principle that it's shoddy way to conduct themselves. I seem to recall a friend was looking at a GT3 a while back and having had a positive discussion with the OPC with a view to going to see the car, the car disappeared from the Porsche Approved website, only to reappear the next day at £5k more!!

I can only assume things have changed these days as it used to be that NO car could be offered for sale unless it had passed its 111 point check .. to do so would inflict huge fines from Porsche if they found out .

Its also very strange as there are some faults on cars that mean the dealer could Never sell the car .. so to advertise with out any checks re Prep is kinda risky .

The 997 I bought recently Demort needed front pads, a control arm, gearbox calibration and a new tracker after I bought it from an OPC.

I was told this was picked up following prep, the tracker took ages to sort out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back