Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mileage Warriors

murph7355

Possibly an unwelcome oft repeated topic (I did search!) so happy to take pelters...

Who has the most mileage on their 997 (esp gen2) and how well do they stand it?

I've looked closely at a 70k+ mile car and it looked rock solid (save for cosmetic issues)... But didn't drive it.

Also, what mileage break points do you think impact values and by how much (assuming "condition" is equal)? 20k mile chunks? Thoughts on cars that are over 60k miles? (Especially spongebob!).

I'm not bothered from a milometer perspective especially - whatever I buy will get used without a further eye on resale. But don't want to over pay so am curious as to whether my targets are reasonable :)

Flame away :D

Hi Murph
I have a 997.2 C2S with 77000 miles on the clock. I purchased it last July with 67000 on the clock. It's been my daily driver and has run like clock work with no issues other than a track rod end needing replacing and moisture in the rear lights. Both of these issues were picked up in the PPI check before purchase and rectified via OPC Warranty. I purchased the car privately with 7 months of transferable Warranty and as mentioned got the car checked out prior to handing over any cash, so was confident that the car is good. Despite the mileage the car drives like new and handles superbly. These cars are designed to be driven, not sat in a garage so what does it matter if the car has a few miles on it if it has been looked after.

morning mate, my 2009 gen2 has 62k on the clock 12K of which was me in the past 12months
I needed a new clutch and coolant hoses in the last year.the clutch at 60k I considered quite normal the hoses were not leaking but were misting and were done as a preventative and it had a major service.

Its just gone in for a gearbox rebuild as I lost 3rd gear synchro but I consider that just to be unfortunate and not a failing of the marque .

other than those things the car is great and yes I will have spent 5k in the past 6 months on it but expect nothing else much to happen over the next 12/18 months which will bring the ave running cost PA back down to acceptable.

I kind of expect to spend a bit on a car in the first 12 months of ownership as you dont always know what a previous owner has or hasnt done.

in contrast I had the 2006 gen1 tip for 4 years and added 50k miles of its 89k miles when I sold it and in all that time it didnt cost me 5k in repairs etc.

the accepted ave mileage for a 911 is 7k PA this is the mileage used by enthusiasts to guage if a cars mileage is high , ave, low etc. so if the gen2 your looking at is a 2009 then 70k would be more or less ave.

Like you I dont worry about residual values as I brought the car for me to enjoy and it will be worth what its worth when I sell it. these cars do enjoy low depreciation.
as they say who doesnt have sex with their girlfriend so shes ready for the next guy :floor:

just a heads up its also widely accepted that very low milage cars are as much of a risk as very high mileage cars as these cars like to be driven and garage queens seem to suffer more issues than regularly driven cars.

IMO a car thats done between 5k and 7k pa would be the optimum but you shouldnt be put off a car thats done 8k/10k pa as long as its reflected in the price

keep us posted on your search :thumb:

I've changed my view on German cars and mileage after having a good look underneath our 2010 Audi A6 Estate with 125k on the clock. My wife drives it daily and doesn't get babies like my 911. Underneath the car looks brand new with no signs of wear and tear on the body.
In fact I've just spent 1.5hrs in it and it still drives like a new car.
So given that the 911 is a better engineered car I am less inclined to worry about mileage and be more concerned about actual condition. Suspension seems to be the biggest consumable in the 997.2 as mileage increases.
Solid cars from what I can tell

There is always so much sucking of teeth when it comes to mileage.

But unless you have seen how it is driven, then the miles don't give you the full story. There is such a difference between cars driven at length on the motorway, and those run around town. It would say that the key metrics are the number of cold starts, the number of hot starts, the warm up (if any), the engine running hours and the revs (and overrevs) at those hours.

And without a very full history (one which records the condition of the oil removed), you will never know, so the best thing is to buy on condition, with the best history available, from an enthusiast who can afford to run the car (I like buying from old guys with collections, as they drive the cars occasionally, they drive them hard, they stash them in a garage, they don't usually crash them, they keep the paperwork and they spend lots on maintenance).

One day, when I'm old and decrepit, in about 40, 45 years, and I can't actually get in the car anymore, some lucky bloke/blokette can buy the 911.

No correlation between mileage and condition with most cars.

Recently bought a 2008 997.2 with 66k miles and felt a solid car. Without looking at the odeometer and number plate, you would think it was a nearly new car.

I think any cars value will suffer when they hit the 100K glass ceiling. That's just the way it is. Prior to the 100K, using my man maths, 'Miles to Pounds" M+ = -£. So, for every 1000 miles deduct £1000.

All turbos (except the latest generation) are a pretty good bet against eye-watering depreciation. Therefore, wherever you decide to enter the market, you're not going to lose 10K per year as you would on a Merc E class.

Every 1000 deduct a grand? Think you've got that wrong.

As for 100k miles, that's barely run in these days.

If you are not worried about mileage then I'd go see that silver 997 Turbo on eBay with 106k on it, it's only up for £40k :eek:

:thumb:

alex yates said:
Every 1000 deduct a grand? Think you've got that wrong.

As for 100k miles, that's barely run in these days.

My man maths is based on the current 997 turbo market, in particular looking at the top end with low miles and the bottom end with high miles. If you're considering buying one at the moment then I think it is a good rule of thumb.

I agree, 100k on these cars is nothing, however, there is and always will be a stigma around the 100k miles. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they plummet in value, but there is an adjustment.

jotaking said:
My man maths is based on the current 997 turbo market, in particular looking at the top end with low miles and the bottom end with high miles. If you're considering buying one at the moment then I think it is a good rule of thumb.

:?

What values are you working on for 'top end, low miles' and 'low end, high miles'?

I used your formula and assumed that a 30k mile car was valued at £65k. I can't see any 95k mile cars being given away for free. :sad:

I think he meant Lira.

T8 said:
What values are you working on for 'top end, low miles' and 'low end, high miles'?

I used your formula and assumed that a 30k mile car was valued at £65k. I can't see any 95k mile cars being given away for free. :sad:

50k Miles circa £60K
10k Miles circa £80-90k
0 -100 Miles circa £100K

I did say a rule of thumb :puh:

I've just bought a 911, so can offer a "did mileage affect my choice?" perspective. In short, yes it did, very much. I didn't even bother looking at cars with over 70k miles (was after a 2009-11 gen 2 997). My reasoning was that if I kept the car for long, it would soon be at or over 100k miles, and would then explode in a ball of fire. Just joking!! I know well maintained cars can go on way beyond that. It's just that, in the UK, once you get to 100k many buyers won't touch the car - and resale value is important to me.
Equally, cars with, say 20k miles or fewer were silly money. I bought a 2011 car with 33k on it which I'm happy with.
Now, if I knew a car's history (how was it driven, was it looked after properly, regular oil changes, all that) mileage would be less of an issue. But you never do, really, do you? Is a 2011 80k car with oil changes every 10k better than a 50k car that's only had three oil changes? What if the 50k car's driver is a buffoon with no mechanical sympathy?
In other words, it's always a gamble, but the lower the mileage, the lower the risk, all things being equal. Just my 2p's worth.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back