Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spark plugs change or not?

911 CABRIOLET

Hi Guys

My 997 Carrera s 2005 is due its oil change at 38k miles

now im going for shell helix ultra pure plus 5w 40
as its a long life oil
reason for this is its only done 1500 miles since its last oil change 2 years ago and this oil looked to fit the bill for me

anyway the spark plugs...
now im not having any issues at all with the plugs at the moment but the service says 60k or 4 years,

ive done a search on here but cant find the answer

do I change the plugs now or wait the 60k?
I don't know when It last had plugs? and im quite hesitant to change the plugs incase I crack or upset the coil packs that are working fine at the moment

any help greatly appreceated

If their age is unknown, I'd change them. They should be marked in the service book.

Coil packs go from time to time and are not expensive. I'd risk that rather than leave the plugs in place.

Personally I change the oil annually regardless of miles and I'd be changing the plugs and coil packs as preventative maintenance.

You can get plugs from carparts4less and eurocarparts. Just remember to use their discount codes. I also noticed they have eBay shops which sells the stuff at bottom prices rather than waiting for a discount code.
I just used Bosch spark plugs when the major was done last year. Been fine since

As said probably best to do them if you have no idea when they were last done.

Change the plugs!!!!

I've just moved on to the helix 5w 40 at 125k miles......but mine is a 3.4 so no bore scoring.

Bought my 997.1 C4S at 5 years old with 41k miles on it and with the major service done a few months before I got it at 40k.

Regardless, as soon as I bought it I changed the plugs, drive belt, oil & filters and brake fluid.with annual oil and filter changes since. Just topped 60K recently at 9 years old and in the major service this summer I will do same again, plugs, drive belt, oil & filters and brake fluid. :thumb:

911 CABRIOLET said:
Hi Guys

My 997 Carrera s 2005 is due its oil change at 38k miles

now im going for shell helix ultra pure plus 5w 40
as its a long life oil
reason for this is its only done 1500 miles since its last oil change 2 years ago and this oil looked to fit the bill for me

anyway the spark plugs...
now im not having any issues at all with the plugs at the moment but the service says 60k or 4 years,

ive done a search on here but cant find the answer

do I change the plugs now or wait the 60k?
I don't know when It last had plugs? and im quite hesitant to change the plugs incase I crack or upset the coil packs that are working fine at the moment

any help greatly appreceated

Change the plugs. After 4 years there is a risk that they corrode into the cylinder head - that's why Porsche recommends maximum of 4 years between plug changes. Examine the coil packs - it is cost effective to change the complete set whilst the plugs are being done if any coil plugs are cracked. As yours is a C4S the spark plug change is straight forward so perhaps a DIY job. On the turbo its a 3 hr labour job! (Official book time).

I've been using helix Ultra 5w 40 in my cars for years.
Its Porsche and Ferrari approved, so won't affect any warranties etc.

Id swap the coil packs at the same time as the plugs as they are relatively cheap and easy job to do yourself.

On the Gen 2 it's a bumper and exhaust off job, so it makes even more sense to do it all at the same time.

Did mine 3 weeks ago. It's not made any difference to how it feels, but it gives me more confidence that they won't break down when I'm halfway across Europe on holiday (Driving to Rome in July and the Monza GP in August).

cheshire911 said:
Change the plugs. After 4 years there is a risk that they corrode into the cylinder head - that's why Porsche recommends maximum of 4 years between plug changes. Examine the coil packs - it is cost effective to change the complete set whilst the plugs are being done if any coil plugs are cracked. As yours is a C4S the spark plug change is straight forward so perhaps a DIY job. On the turbo its a 3 hr labour job! (Official book time).

My indy told me that the plugs can wait a year for a change at 5 years, as the change is mostly to prevent them sticking to the head, but if you don't know when they were last done, then I'd support a change now. That being said, since my car is now 8, the plugs will be swapped out at the next service. No doubt they'll check the coil packs too.

On a Gen 2 ( DFI ) you change them at 4 years reguardless .. they WILL sieze in if left for longer .. been there .. had that problem .. not nice .

Gen 1 dont suffer as badly but im still a fan of replacing service items when they are due .. mind you i would be wouldn't i :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back