Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Talk to me about number plates

BenB91

I have purchased a private plate for my car and now need to order the number plates.

The back will be a 3D Domed Black plate from http://www.demonplates.com/platebuilder.php

but not sure about the front. I would prefer not to screw the plate into the car, so I would be looking at either using sticky pads for the 3D Domed Black plate, using a plate holder or a sticker number plate.

What do guys think? What do you have on your own car?

Please upload pictures to share.

Thanks

Plain plastic plates with standard black lettering stuck on with this stuff. Only need 3 vertical strips - 1 in centre and 1 either end. Never let me down yet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UniBond-More-Nails-Permanent-Roll/dp/B001DYS76Q

TvSKa20.jpg

42kBVWQ.jpg

front plate

mounted on a zunsport grill

Attachments

• spookweb_904_164.jpg
    spookweb_904_164.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 5,759
Re: front plate

Rickenbacker said:
mounted on a zunsport grill

I like this and I plan to get zunsport grills, however presumably the plate plinth is screwed to into the front bumper so I would have holes in front bumper? :sad:

Ben yours is a PDK so you could get brookspeed to remove the plastic centre blank and replace with a mesh to match the side ones your getting then attach the number plate to the mesh as Rickenbaker has done Askgeez has also done the same and a few others. but you do need to check if the bumper has already been drilled for the existing number plate and plinth. :thumb: :thumb:

The Zunsport centre mesh fits without removing anything on PDK cars.

Makes me weep every time I take the plinth off and see the holes, can't believe the monkeys that screw the first plates on don't use short enough screws so as not to do this, is that not the point of the plinth?

On my first 997 i had the plinth color coded/holes filled and put a shorter plate on, latest one has a vinyl plate from Rik at Highgate House.

I think it does look better (on the grill) but isn't the elephant in the room the effect on cooling?

- or is it only certain models that you can do this on - ones without a central rad?

You couldn't mount the number plate on that centre grill if you have a rad. behind it could you ?

Phil 997 said:
Ben yours is a PDK so you could get brookspeed to remove the plastic centre blank and replace with a mesh to match the side ones your getting then attach the number plate to the mesh as Rickenbaker has done Askgeez has also done the same and a few others. but you do need to check if the bumper has already been drilled for the existing number plate and plinth. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for your comments guys.

What impact does PDK have on where I place the number plate? Is there an additional rad for manual cars?

I think I'll stick it on initially; I am planning to get the front end resprayed, so will have any holes filled at the same time, then move the plate onto the centre zunsport grill.

Tiptronic & PDK have a centre radiator for the oil cooler/heat exchanger.......I think.

The centre rad is a coolant rad which is added to the 'auto' cars. don't think the plate will obstruct the cooling too much as the water goes from left to right through the side rads first, then via the centre rad.

As for the holes which are left, I got a heat iron and sort of massaged the plastic back into the holes. With a bit of practice you can make it look not bad, then use a glue gun to cover over whats left. It's not by anyway perfect but it does fill in the holes quite effectively.

Holes and central rad etc

just to confirm that you are all correct: I had the whole bumper/pu section taken off and resprayed as it had a lot of stone chips as they all do. I had the horrid plate plynth holes filled at the same time and moved the plate onto the zunsport grill in the centre rad which is a dummy in the c2s manual so it has no effect on the cooling system. Its my one and only mod............... I have had to remove the tinted plates as :cop: :cop: :cop: got in a bit of a tizz about them :judge: :judge:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back