Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are these things supposed to understeer like this??

MAZI

Trainee
Be gentle guys.
This is my 1st proper Porsche and I have found the front end washing wide at modest-ish speeds.
I feel if the throttle is loaded then its OK.
Is it a 911 quirk like the front end lightness I posted about at 9/10ths??

I suggest some driving instruction.

You don't drive a 911 like a normal car.

Starting to lose front end grip is usually the warning that it's about to bite you, or your front tyres are shot.

Where can I get some high speed Porsche specific driving lessons preferably not in my own car. I am used to front engine RWD which feels very different and more natural. The 911 is lovely and rewarding. Its just these little idiosyncrasies that I will need to get used to.

Tyres are Michelin N2 jobbies with 6mm but not sure on geometry.
Who can check my geo or am I at the mercy of Porsche?

As infra says, there are many threads on here that discuss the difference of a factory geo vs Centre Gravity geo set ups.the factory 911 has some understeer designed in from the factory geo set up
911s and Michelin tyres can be sensitive to tyre pressure so check those as well. 3 psi can transform the handling of the car.
The way in which you drive a 911 is unlike any other car, you need to load the nose up for achieving excellent turn in and the come off the brake as the load shifts from the front wheels to the outside wheels.
Once you've got a good geo, good tyres and correct pressures and correct driving style, you will find a car with one of the best turn in experiences you've ever had
:thumb:

Double post

infrasilver said:
Porsche will restore it to factory settings but Centre gravity will set it to how ever you want it. Just explain what you require and they can dial it in.

+1 http://www.centregravity.co.uk

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125337&highlight=center+centre+gravity

Go and see them and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Also you might want to think about getting in touch with the Porsche Driving Experience Centre at Silverstone? Their roster of drivers are world class and worth a session just for their tutelage alone.

Good luck and please keep the forum updated on your progress and learning. Even if in the end it's not that car that needs adjustment but you :D

Knowledge and experience sharing is what this forum's all about :thumbs:

Oh and in case no one has told you before :useless:

:thumb:

infrasilver said:
Porsche will restore it to factory setting

.....as will any of the national tyre places like Kwik Fit for under 100 dabs. Use one with a proper system like the Hunter Hawkeye or similar if you go that route.

MAZI said:
Where can I get some high speed Porsche specific driving lessons preferably not in my own car.

Try the 'Porsche Experience Centre' at Silverstone. :thumbs:

Attend the CAT Driver track day in June as Colin knows a thing or two about backing a 911 in to a corner to get the weight swinging from the rear

Try trail braking into the apex

Mine did this when I first got it it (a 996 in my case) and like you, i thought, this CAN NOT be right!?!?

Well it wasn't - but it was the rear that was wrong. Got it done using the Bosch system by a person who knew what they were doing (Don't use a kwik-fit monkey, I did, they simply didn't understand what they were doing - even though the Hunter system literally has images & animations telling them exactly what to do)

so a good garage if C0G is too far away. Get it looked at and properly adjusted and it will transform it. :thumb:

as already posted also look at tyre pressures guys have said dropping or inc PSI by a very small amount gives a very noticable change to the cars handling , they are sensitive to tyre pressure ,I run mine 3PSI over the reccomended :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back