Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Efficient Leather cleaning and conditioning

Seventy Seven

Hi all

What's the easiest products to use?

Ideally something available from say Halfords.

Assume I need a cleaner and conditioner? Just want to get back to natural Matt finish.

Autoglym? Meguires?

Dr Leather wipes will do that. You can find them online. None of the BS you get with some leather treatments.

Like the idea Of The Dr leather wipes for a quick job too, might check those out

Dilute soap flakes in warm water an apply with a cloth/microfibre. Use a soft nail brush for stubborn stains and seams/creases. Wipe clean with a damp cloth once clean and then a clean microfiber to dry or take away any excess moisture. Job done. :thumb:

C.

Dr leather is amazing stuff but id recommend the spray over the wipes....dpray on and use a leather brush to aggitate for a deep clean wiping with a damp microfibre rinsing in warm warer as you go.

Or spray onna microfibre and wipe for quick maintenance.

Even restores the new leather smell.

Gliptone is really good but wont give you a matt finish.
Heard a lot about DR Leather mostly good. Have heard the wipes take a fine layer off the finish and can damage old or really aged leather!?

I've tried both, Dr Leather gets my vote. Available in wipes too, great for the steering wheel

MAZI said:
Have heard the wipes take a fine layer off the finish and can damage old or really aged leather!?

No chance of that. They are like a baby wipe.

I have been a Gliptone fan for, and I can't believe I am even admitting this, for 30 years, back when it was largely a trade only product.

I have tried, and still do on occasion, other products ( Dr Leather/Maguiars/Auto Glym etc) and have found them all to be more than good enough.

However if you want that really nice "old leather" scent then Gliptone, in my experience, is the only one that really works and lasts.

I do the interiors twice a year, once in Spring and once just before Winter sets in.
If there is any secret to using these products successfully I believe that getting the leather properly clean before you even begin to apply conditioner is a very important step. Minimal water, soft bristle brushes and microfibre cloths after a thorough hoovering.
Then when it comes to using the conditioning cream make sure the leather is warm and apply the conditioner in very small amounts using your fingers and massage it into the hide, using minimal pressure and using the warmth of your hands to help it work into the leather. Take your time and be really methodical.
I tend to leave it to soak in for at least 24hours before buffing gently with a microfibre cloth.
This leaves the interior with a matt finish and as an added bonus a good deal grippier than untreated seats would be, not to mention the perfect smell mmmmmm!

Then after that just a wipe with a clean, dry microfibre cloth when washing the cars each week is all the interiors ever need between times. :thumbs:

Just an afterthought, I always remove my watch etc and make sure not to be wearing a belt or shoes when scrambling about the interior. No point in putting all that effort in only to find you have scarred the hides with a single careless move, especially when working on the back seats :?

Car leather was something entirely different 30 years ago and needed cleaning and feeding. Modern car leather is as good as painted it certainly benefits from a good clean.

Thanks all.

Both Gliptone and Dr L wipes seem like good options. Wipes seem easier, but wondering if the 2 part process of Gliptone is actually required.

Both reasonably priced though, so may trial both. :thumb:

The dodo juice 2 part spray gets good reviews, but I went for the Dr leather spray. Agitate with brush, then buff with microfibre.

I'm happy, but my seats were in good nick to start with.

Its really difficult to get the mat finish back on seats that have had 20 years and 100k of bum polishing.

I have found that after cleaning thouroughly , applying plenty of decent balm such as gliptone (but other quality balms do a similar job) can improve things if you put plenty of balm on and leave it for 24 hours and reapply a few times if you can, don't wipe it off for 24 hours, it will look patchy after that but don't worry, gently wipe off the residue with a microfibre and leave it for another 12/24 hours before giving it a final wipe, don't buff it, just remove the stuff that hasn't absorbed.

Doing that about 3 times over 3 months has restored the passenger seat and most of the drivers seat, one bolster on there remains stubbornly shiny.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back