Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo X50 build/ownership thread

FerrisAU

Hi as I'm doing quite abit of work on my 996tt recently thought I'd start a thread of the work being done and work already done plus mods I'm looking to do in the near future and hopefully get input and advice from you guys. My 996tt is pretty unique as it came from factory with a custom red leather interior so I'll be leaving that stock. But everything else is fair game hehe

Mods already done (to knowledge) -
DMS remap (approx 560bhp was told but probably more like 510 with current mods)
Tubi exhaust
Single mass lightweight flywheel and Sachs gt2 clutch
Rear wiper delete
Short shifter kit
Aerokit lip
Carbon kick plates
Sharkfin ariel (don't mind it)
Yellow cluster dials
Yellow painted calipers
997 turbo wheels in gunmetal grey (thinking about going back to stock or something else?)

Just done quite abit of repairs too including brake pipes back box repair, water pump replacement, throttle body clean, brand new condensers,rads, flex donut and drive belt. Had the car for a year now but most work done recently

Photo

My 996tt

Attachments

• img_20180428_wa0008_108.jpeg
    img_20180428_wa0008_108.jpeg
    858.4 KB · Views: 4,885
  • _20180511_071249_188.jpg
    _20180511_071249_188.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,885
  • img_0_856.jpg
    img_0_856.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 4,885
  • psx_20180510_130121_113.jpg
    psx_20180510_130121_113.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 4,885
Tubi back box repair

This was a crack that appeared due to a design fault of a tubi exhaust, the exhaust clamps go over the lip which causes it to put pressure on the lip and sooner or later cracking... Got the lip removed then rewelded today

Attachments

• img_20180509_wa0004_472.jpg
    img_20180509_wa0004_472.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 5,201
  • screenshot_20180510_184017_110.png
    screenshot_20180510_184017_110.png
    2 MB · Views: 5,068
Seems like a hell of an increase from just a remap and exhaust, 140+ bhp!
Loving the interior! 8)

Does look like a nice car! The interior does look quite special. Some nice mods too OP! Keep them coming!

Power wise on those mods it will be more 490 to 510hp (real world). 560 on stock K24 turbos and stock injectors (even if running a 5 bar FPR) is not possible as far as I know. Even still it must be a very quick car! Always nice to see people modding these cars but be warned it is a slippery, expensive slope!

911tom said:
Does look like a nice car! The interior does look quite special. Some nice mods too OP! Keep them coming!

Power wise on those mods it will be more 490 to 510hp (real world). 560 on stock K24 turbos and stock injectors (even if running a 5 bar FPR) is not possible as far as I know. Even still it must be a very quick car! Always nice to see people modding these cars but be warned it is a slippery, expensive slope!

Yep already getting expensive lol was mapped by dms few years ago before I bought it and was told that was the power output I doubt to the wheels maybe at the crank.

Lovely looking motor! Black turbos are the best :wink:

I particularly like the red interior, makes a nice change to see a different colour on a black car than a black ruffled leather interior (like on my turbo). I'd rather have red :thumb:

Agree 100% with 911tom on the power though. Stock injectors simply aren't able to provide enough fuel to make 560hp at the crank, regardless of which turbos it has. Remember, to make power you need both fuel and oxygen.

There's a few of us on here who have been down the big build route. FRP probably has the most extreme turbo build done by 9e. 911tom and myself started by changing fuel pressure regs, injectors, then intercoolers, then turbos etc etc (so we speak from experience about realistic power levels). Tom has gone with mahoosive blowers and meth following his engine build now. I've just had my engine rebuilt with strengthened internals but using relatively small turbos and no meth, the idea being ultimate reliability.

Anyway, just thought i'd add my 'thumbs up' to a lovely motor :thumb:

:goodjob:
Subscribed, great interior looking forward to the updates.

I love these posts keep stuff coming, nice looking car by the way.

Nice car, best of luck with the mods and upgrades 😎

ragpicker said:
Lovely looking motor! Black turbos are the best :wink:

I particularly like the red interior, makes a nice change to see a different colour on a black car than a black ruffled leather interior (like on my turbo). I'd rather have red :thumb:

Agree 100% with 911tom on the power though. Stock injectors simply aren't able to provide enough fuel to make 560hp at the crank, regardless of which turbos it has. Remember, to make power you need both fuel and oxygen.

There's a few of us on here who have been down the big build route. FRP probably has the most extreme turbo build done by 9e. 911tom and myself started by changing fuel pressure regs, injectors, then intercoolers, then turbos etc etc (so we speak from experience about realistic power levels). Tom has gone with mahoosive blowers and meth following his engine build now. I've just had my engine rebuilt with strengthened internals but using relatively small turbos and no meth, the idea being ultimate reliability.

Anyway, just thought i'd add my 'thumbs up' to a lovely motor :thumb:

Thanks man... Perhaps fibs were told by the previous owner when I bought it lol still a very fast car... anyways I'll be chasing bigger numbers in the future anyways when I get the car fully sorted as it does have a few minor issues

Fresh condensers very easy job just bolt alot if leaves and gunk builds up behind these so gonna invest in some mesh grilles. Regassed and Now the AC blow ice cold air 8)

Attachments

• _20180511_071814_401.jpg
    _20180511_071814_401.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,904
  • _20180511_071742_158.jpg
    _20180511_071742_158.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,904
Re: Photo

FerrisAU said:

The 997 wheels really suit your car , I would stick with these rather than the stock 996 wheels ....

Car looks great.......I'm personally not keen on the sea of red interior , I always think red interior works better with a red / black contrast ...it is different though and a sup for sure ...

Looking at the shot from the front , it reminds me of following a 996 Turbo just like yours , though not as clean looking ...many years ago , thinking that I had to get myself into them after many years procrastinating whether to or not ....( after being stung with an Audi Quattro ) .....

Re: Photo

FerrisAU said:

The 997 wheels really suit your car , I would stick with these rather than the stock 996 wheels ....

Car looks great.......I'm personally not keen on the sea of red interior , I always think red interior works better with a red / black contrast ...it is different though and a sup for sure ...

Looking at the shot from the front , it reminds me of following a 996 Turbo just like yours , though not as clean looking ...many years ago , thinking that I had to get myself into them after many years procrastinating whether to or not ....( after being stung with an Audi Quattro ) .....

Nice job on the DIY condenser change. You are right to fit mesh, I did mine about 5 years ago and it has kept everything very clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back