Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Total Loss of Drive

jockmog

Less than a mile from home this morning and still in a 30mph limit there was a loud bang from the back of the car. Fearing a burst on one of my 4 day old Pilot Sports I checked but could see no flat tyre or any other reason for the bang. The engine started and ran normally but when I selected first gear and released the clutch there was zero drive in any gear. The clutch action feels normal.
Drive shafts look ok and the speedo doesn't register if the car is "accelerated" in gear, although still standing still.
Any suggestions as to what the cause might be?
Ironically I was on my way to see a recommended "Indie" about a precautionary IMS bearing and clutch change. The car has 74,400 miles on it and, since I have only had it 4 days, it is covered by warranty. :eh!:
PS the car is a '51 plate Carrera 2 3.4.

996 Loss of drive

If a driveshaft was broken inside the boot wouldn't the speedo register if the gearbox was turning?

jockmog said:
since I have only had it 4 days, it is covered by warranty. :eh!:

Since it is under warranty, I'd be phoning the place you got it from and chilling with a nice beer enjoying the sunshine :grin:

You pay a premium to buy from a dealer, so let them worry about it :thumb:

If the driveshafts are still attactched then i would lean towards a clutch failure ..

The surface material of the clutch friction plate has come off .. you will have a normal pedal but no drive with this type of fault .

Loss of drive

Turns out that the driveshaft had popped out due to incorrect installation and the car is now capable of moving under its own power. BUT the AA Relay operation managed to put a sizeable dent in the NSF wheel arch which will require £800+ of repair work! :evil:

That's a bit bitter/sweet.

Will the AA not pay for the repair?

AA is owned by a hedge-fund, so expect them to fight tooth-and-nail, but as above, I reckon they're liable for that damage.

Loss of drive

The Relay truck driver videoed the car before it was loaded on to the relay truck and there was clearly no damage. The damage was evident when they came to unload the car at the dealers. He has included this information in his report so there should not be a problem with admission of liability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back