Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil temperature after fitting LTT?

dp400

Trainee
Hi guys, as a new Porsche owner I've taken the generally accepted advice and fitted a LTT and today is really the first time I've driven the car since. The oil temp did seem a few degrees lower at around 90 to start with but towards the end of my drive I had the car up to 100 odd mph on an empty a road and was then pressing on a bit (but not thrashing it) on a B road when I saw my oil temp go up to around 110. It's a hot day here at around 27 degrees but I was a bit surprised to see the oil temp up to 110. Is this normal when pressing on on a hot afternoon?l with a LTT?

The LTT means the thermostate opens at a lower temp there by allowing the coolant to be cooled quicker than a standard thermostate.

The effect will still be determined by how good the coolant flow through the rads is though .. leaves / debris will decrease the effect .

Oil temp is regulated but how hot the engine is and what air flow you have over the engine .

On a hot day the cooling effect will be lowered due to the temp of the air flowing over the engine so coolant and oil will be at a higher temp.

Obviously engine load will also have an effect .

Temp gauges are not that accurate .

Whilst a little on the high side i would not atm be unduly concerned .. unless i had to do an oil change waiting .. at that point your Gonna wait !

I also have a LTT fitted on my 997.1 and it takes about 7 miles for the oil to heat up to 90 deg C ( a pain when you're driving in convoy with old 964 kettles which can shoot off regardless and Turbo's the same) and with spirited driving it will reach 100 deg C and even 110 deg C for a while but does cool off when reducing speed but still moving.

Strange that we always want to keep our engines at 90 deg C when my new BMW 3 series with a twin turbo two litre petrol engine operates at 110 deg C all the time :dont know:

According to the gauge after fitting an LTT my oil temperature dropped approximately 8 degrees across the range . How accurate that is I don't know but the engine definitely runs cooler.
Interestingly my MPG ever so slightly suffered too which I believe others have also commented on.

LTT = quicke full flow not incresed flow

Hi
I had a LTT fitted to my last 911 a 996.2. Mechanic explained, as Dermot did, the change from original is that the valve inside will be fully open quicker than an original stat. That effectively means that the engine will take a little longer to get up to water coolant temp and by its cooling effect the same for oil.
However, once fully open it allows the same flow in litres per minute as a normal stat. They are the same diameter pies, LPM water pump rad size etc.

That is why after a spirited distance drive the temp will still creep up.

What has been said is spot on it is about the whole package - ensuring clear rads, full coolant, quality coolant etc.

What I was also told to me by a knowledgeable person is that another effective way to 'protect' ones engine from heat related issues is NOT to spank your car all the way home then pull straight onto the drive - chillax for the last few miles.

refgards
GW

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back