Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 82
996 : 1997-2005 47
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Question dump Reply with quote

3rd day and did a lovely 200 mike journey up north yesterday. Think I’m slightly deaf now - that sports exhaust is LOUD!

So a few random questions that you guys should be able to answer in a jiffy:

1. Sports mode feels slow to respond but Sports Plus is insanely fast. I tend to have to almost kick-down in Sports mode (not Sports +) to get it going, does that sound typical?

2. It has Pirelli tyres on at the moment and I’ve always used Michelin Pilot Sports. In Sports Plus it slides!!!! It’s a reasonably nice, controlled slide but I wasn’t expecting it at such speeds. Again, does this sound common? Is it down to the tyres or do you guys find this with the Michelin tyres too?

3. What’s the biting point when the slide turns into a spin? Is it progressive? Does it just turn on you or is there any warning?

4. Sports Plus tends to keep 1st Gear for what feels like AGES if you are going slowly! It’s embarrasingly loud too crawling along in 1st gear. Presume this is just because Sports Plus is used more for when making progress.

5. I can connect iPhone to PCM via Bluetooth but when I plug my phone in via a charger then it stops playing music. I think the connection in the glovebox is a little temperamental and it stops charging / connecting. Will try with a different cable / phone today - but has anyone had similar experiences?

6. OPC have told me that they have installed the latest Sat Nav at my request however I can’t do 7-digit postcodes, this doesn’t seem right? I’ll check what version I’m on (not sure how) later today but what is the latest version for 911.1 cars and can you do 7-digit postcodes?

Hopefully above are less newbie type questions, I’ve been around manual P cars for a while now, these autos are a different kettle of fish to me!

Oh, the sound. Did I mention the sound? Surprised Surprised Surprised

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, mine is the GTS RWD version, might make a difference with more aggressive set-up and drifting

G2
Imola

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love watching people go through these first stages of ownership👍

1. Yes.

2. Yes. More so on the 2WD Cars. Changing C4s on bridgestones to Michelin’s soon.

3. the c2s I drove at PEC we’re progressive.

4. Yep. Best used once moving a bit. It opens the PSE just to make sure everyone thinks your driving it like a learner !

5.not had that issue as don’t use Bluetooth.

Magic919
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to update your signature.

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2 wrote:
Love watching people go through these first stages of ownership👍

1. Yes.

2. Yes. More so on the 2WD Cars. Changing C4s on bridgestones to Michelin’s soon.

3. the c2s I drove at PEC we’re progressive.

4. Yep. Best used once moving a bit. It opens the PSE just to make sure everyone thinks your driving it like a learner !

5.not had that issue as don’t use Bluetooth.

Haha, had to laugh at your answer to no.4!

Thanks G2, and yes I’ve always loved the new car threads!

Getting used to the car, by eck it’s quick when you kick down. Had lots of nice comments so far including a guy riding an R1 who said it sounds “bloody lovely!”

I found the G Force thing on the way back today. I’m down £140 in petrol so far! Embarassed Very Happy

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any help with Q6?

Magic919
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were saying they got seven digit postcodes by the end of 2012.

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic919 wrote:
People were saying they got seven digit postcodes by the end of 2012.

I can find seven digit postcodes if I put in three or so and then scroll down the list. Don’t think that’s the same thing though!

G2
Imola

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 digits issues sounds like they didn't do the upgrade properly?. I seem to remember that there were comments on rennlist etc back in 2013/14 about 991 and 997 PCM upgrades taking ages and OPCs getting in wrong a lot Dont know

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2 wrote:
7 digits issues sounds like they didn't do the upgrade properly?. I seem to remember that there were comments on rennlist etc back in 2013/14 about 991 and 997 PCM upgrades taking ages and OPCs getting in wrong a lot Dont know

That’s my thoughts as well. I can’t open the drinks holder trays too, small thing in the grand scheme but may as well get it ironed out now.

It needs to go in next week anyhow so hopefully Guildford OPC will come good, they have been excellent so far.

G2
Imola

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerbyJim wrote:

It needs to go in next week anyhow so hopefully Guildford OPC will come good, they have been excellent so far.

Don't take this the wrong way but did you press the bar to open up access to the cup holders? Floor

I've had cup holders replaced under warranty previously at Guildford so they will sort you out. Iain's team in service are good. Worth taking the time to get a good rapport going with them.

Will look out for yours if it's in next week as I have an mot and pre- road trip check.

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence taken!

Err, yes - pressed the bar. Presume it ‘operates’ similar to the 997 cups holders? Unless you’re telling me it’s electronic now (no seriously, it’s not is it? Grin )

I’m working up near Newcastle this week so the missus is having her first drive in it back down south. She’s so nervous about it! I’ll drop it in at some point towards the back end of the week.

Always polite about these things as long as they are also fair too. Sure it won’t be a problem.

blackram
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dec 2011 991.1 Carrera S has full UK postcode accessibility so it is possible. Chase your OPC. Mine is as loud as a loud thing once you press the PSE and has only 400hp! I have had some easily controlled slides and have not yet felt as though it is on the edge. Sport + is definitely not for around town! But once on the open road Sport + makes things louder, firmer and the PDK changes seem faster although difficult to really tell as they are pretty fast on Sport mode. Not sure about your comments re Sport mode being slow to respond.....mine isn’t so again ask OPC. The car sounds great.....enjoy!

blackram
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dec 2011 991.1 Carrera S has full UK postcode accessibility so it is possible. Chase your OPC. Mine is as loud as a loud thing once you press the PSE and has only 400hp! I have had some easily controlled slides and have not yet felt as though it is on the edge. Sport + is definitely not for around town! But once on the open road Sport + makes things louder, firmer and the PDK changes seem faster although difficult to really tell as they are pretty fast on Sport mode. Not sure about your comments re Sport mode being slow to respond.....mine isn’t so again ask OPC. The car sounds great.....enjoy!

G2
Imola

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerbyJim wrote:
No offence taken!

Err, yes - pressed the bar. Presume it ‘operates’ similar to the 997 cups holders? Unless you’re telling me it’s electronic now (no seriously, it’s not is it? Grin )

I’m working up near Newcastle this week so the missus is having her first drive in it back down south. She’s so nervous about it! I’ll drop it in at some point towards the back end of the week.

Always polite about these things as long as they are also fair too. Sure it won’t be a problem.

Same as 997. Temperamental is the phrase I think...

Careful letting the missus drive it. Took me weeks to get the keys back when mine drove the 991. It's now "her" car with me alllowed to borrow it..usually when it needs fuel frustrated

911_AS
Imola

2012 Porsche 991 Carrera S

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Question dump Reply with quote

DerbyJim wrote:

1. Sports mode feels slow to respond but Sports Plus is insanely fast. I tend to have to almost kick-down in Sports mode (not Sports +) to get it going, does that sound typical?

4. Sports Plus tends to keep 1st Gear for what feels like AGES if you are going slowly! It’s embarrasingly loud too crawling along in 1st gear. Presume this is just because Sports Plus is used more for when making progress.

5. I can connect iPhone to PCM via Bluetooth but when I plug my phone in via a charger then it stops playing music. I think the connection in the glovebox is a little temperamental and it stops charging / connecting. Will try with a different cable / phone today - but has anyone had similar experiences?

6. OPC have told me that they have installed the latest Sat Nav at my request however I can’t do 7-digit postcodes, this doesn’t seem right? I’ll check what version I’m on (not sure how) later today but what is the latest version for 911.1 cars and can you do 7-digit postcodes?

1. My Sport mode definitely is not slow to respond, all depends on your definition of Slow I guess! The SM keeps the car in gear for longer, and the throttle response is a lot sharper. Sports Plus is even quicker, so if you are experiencing lag, get it checked out via comparison.

4. Agree with BlackRam. SP+ is not to be used when pottering around town, as it does transform the car into a bit of an animal!

5. Are you using an official Apple cable? I've found that after-market / 3rd Party cables are not always good for playback or charging. The music should still play via AUX BT, if plugged in. However, it does beg the question, if you are playing audio via BT, why are you plugging the phone in? Is it purely to charge? If so, can you use the socket in the centre console arm rest instead?

6. The 7-digit post code should work, if OPC have upgraded the Maps to the latest software. I recently had this done on a 2012 car, and it works fine now. (Was only 5-digit before). Again, as above, check with your dealer.

Enjoy the car, you'll soon get used to that PDK transmission and the instant gear changes!

AS

Naturally Aspiring.

DerbyJim
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those answers AS, appreciated.

1. Will get it checked. Kickdown and it’s like a rocket in a Sports mode!

5. Non-Apple charger. The missus drove it for the first time today, taking it bck home (without the bloody tracker too wack ) so I’ll see if she’s had any problems as her phone is less temperamental than mine.

6. So if I put in say DE1 X then I should get the choice to put in the other letters, correct? It just offers me a chance to scroll through oodles of postcodes rather than letting me put the next letter in.

In other news, the cup holder is working! Woo hoo! I gave it an extra hard push and it sorted itself out!

911_AS
Imola

2012 Porsche 991 Carrera S

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, Jim.

Sports Mode is fab, compliments the PDK very well.

Replacing that non-Apple cable should do the trick. I had the exact same issue, and now leave an Apple cable permanently in the car. When hard-wired, Spotify and Apple Music work better via the controller on the SW column, too.

Re: Post Code, Yes. When you enter the first 4 digits, the PCM should allow you to enter the remaining 3. If you are only getting 5-digit options, the Maps upgrade has not been completed.

The Cup Holder working is always a neat feature, even if it's a rarely used one!

Naturally Aspiring.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: