Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 PSE retrofit

qwerty911

Trainee
I am considering having PSE retrofit to my c2s cab.
But can anyone tell me how the PSE works; if I don't press the switch does the exhaust stay closed at all revs? or does it auto open at higher revs?
If I press the switch at low revs does the exhaust activate and stay open at any speed, or will it still auto close at lower revs?
I know it can be disconnected to stay open always.
Thanks

Hi

I had this retrofitted recently. It remains open when switched on and vice versa.

It does not seem to related to the revs/ speed.

Whilst the exhaust is out get the cross over pipe/muffler delete otherwise you'll have spent a bucket for nothing. Alternatively go for an aftermarket system that you could move on should you sell the car in the future by putting the car back to standard. Just a thought.

Thanks arifg
PSE is only option due to warranty
OPC quote is £2577 incl vat fitted

As long as genuine Porsche parts are used then it doesnt have to be done at an OPC .. any indy or indeed garage can do it .

Cheaper i would have thought :)

For a Gen 2 then i can dig out instructions to fit it if needed .

qwerty911 said:
I am considering having PSE retrofit to my c2s cab.
But can anyone tell me how the PSE works; if I don't press the switch does the exhaust stay closed at all revs? or does it auto open at higher revs?
If I press the switch at low revs does the exhaust activate and stay open at any speed, or will it still auto close at lower revs?
I know it can be disconnected to stay open always.
Thanks

My understanding is that for some versions of PSE at least the vacuum activated Valves are switched ON and Off by the ECU on a rev dependent basis when the PSE button is ON in order to meet some government (Swiss?) noise regulations. For that reason some of us have rewired the PSE to bypass the ECU using a latched relay so that when it's ON...it's ON 🙄

qwerty911 said:
Thanks arifg
PSE is only option due to warranty
OPC quote is £2577 incl vat fitted

Hi
I got a similar quote. However following advice from forum members haggled for a discount. Final price was £2214 inc. vat. Just tell then you are a 911uk/Porsche GB member. They did not ask for any proof of membership.

Car going in next week for some warranty issues (wet driver door & rear light fogging) plus fit a PSE (they agreed to discount as above). I will s/h (21k miles) rear boxes to sell if anyone interested?

qwerty911 said:
Car going in next week for some warranty issues (wet driver door & rear light fogging) plus fit a PSE (they agreed to discount as above). I will s/h (21k miles) rear boxes to sell if anyone interested?

wet drivers door and rear lights fogging are very well known issues with these cars the doors an easy fix and the lights under warranty will be replaced but if it happens out of warranty there are also cheap easy fixes for it on the gen2 cars. :thumb: good to hear you got a few hundred off the PSE price :thumb:

How it works - on 997.1 PSE - without vacuum the valves are open allowing gasses down the additional 2 pipes. When you start the car vacuum is applied to the valves and they close off the additional pipes making exhaust quieter . When you press the switch vacuum is released and valves open again (noisy) but close once more automatically between about 30 - 50 mph . Disconnecting the electrical plug in the engine bay leaves valves open all the time and the switch now does nothing as there is no connection to the valves. Hope this helps.

Thought that I would update my own thread; PSE now retrofitted by OPC to my 997.2 c2s cab. Cost £2240! Very happy with the result, despite the cost, the car now sounds like a Porsche. The exhaust is controlled by the new dash switch. The car always starts off, but then it's a straight forward switch on/off. There is no rev or speed override control.

qwerty911 said:
Thought that I would update my own thread; PSE now retrofitted by OPC to my 997.2 c2s cab. Cost £2240! Very happy with the result, despite the cost, the car now sounds like a Porsche. The exhaust is controlled by the new dash switch. The car always starts off, but then it's a straight forward switch on/off. There is no rev or speed override control.

Does it have an affect if you put on Sports or sports plus? I.e. Does this open the valves?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back