Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fast n Loud 996 V8?

jotaking

Hockenheim
Did anyone watch the fast n loud 996 V8 Conversion on Discovery last night??

I quite liked the bolt on flares and wheels, however the engine swap? NO. :sad:

This was on a while back, there was a thread about it.

Looks ok, wheels a bit blingy IIRC, guess it's not Water cooled anymore then :grin:

:thumb:

Sounds good... got pretty close to the 997 TTS, not bad all things considered...

thought it was crap.....all of it :dont know:

Likewise.

Big, tall V8 in the back doesn't sound like a great recipe for sweet handling, to me. Wonder why the test track was dead straight?

I thought it was a quite interesting swap
the Ls3 is all ally so light, but would the COG change ??

I'd like to have a drive of one.

the bodykit was from japan and mega pricey

Saw it twice.... Love Gas Monkeys 🐒

Yanks don't do bends.... enough said :D

This was from the other year. If I remember it, didnt some bloke buy it for his kid to do the gumball in?

markrnorton said:

I read on another thread about V8 conversions that the LS3 has a lower COG as well as being lighter, as well as a lot more potent than the flat 6.

Robertb said:
markrnorton said:

I read on another thread about V8 conversions that the LS3 has a lower COG as well as being lighter, as well as a lot more potent than the flat 6.

In many ways it makes perfect sense to fit the LS3 to a 996. One thing I'm trying to determine is whether the resultant car still feels like a 911.
The LS3 may be slightly lighter than the flat six, and the engine itself may have a lower COG, but the V8 sits higher in the chassis.
An unburstable 480bhp straight out the box is tempting but I think I would still go for a Hartech 3.7 build for roughly the same money.

Better suited to a Cayman/Boxter perhaps.

Robertb said:
markrnorton said:

The LS3 is lighter, but it's highly unlikely an upright V8 has a lower CofG than a flat six, especially with all the peripheral bits on top of it.

Early designs for the 996 were a V8. And while the cylinders are slightly higher, the other peripherals sit lower. I'm not sure it'd make that much difference overall.

Not for the purists but an interesting option for those of us less religious types.

I really like the idea in a MK 1 Cayman though that's tossed it's engine. That'd be one hell of a machine. Especially given how in real world driving a leggy Boxster already is :thumbs:

It's a definite no from me. That episode reminded of that cracking documentary about Ladyboys a few years back.

https://youtu.be/HnQQAh6ak4g

:floor: :floor: :floor:
Btw if you're ever in doubt whether someone is a Ladyboys or lady. Ask them to straighten their arm. A man's arm locks out at 180°, a woman's arm can go past 180°. So if you're on your in Thailand on tour and you want to check early on, there you go. It's the only thing they can't change surgically. All the rest can be sorted through medication and surgery.

And yes you did just straighten your arm out didn't you? Now go and ask the :thewife: to do the same. :floor: :floor: :floor:

I guess you have not seen Hoovies garage on YouTube? Far more entertaining and informative: he did an ls swop when he popped his 996 engine. A hartech big bore rebuild will be cheaper but nowhere near as powerful

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back