Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 v C2. Desirability & Values

rdodger

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm new to the world of the 996 and will be collecting my first Porsche this weekend a 996 C2 Aero. Finally realising a childhood dream of owning a 911.

When looking for a car I wanted C2 as I prefer the body style.

I had always assumed that the C2 would be more desirable than the C4 due to being lighter, 2wd and perhaps a more pure, driver focused experience.

Now of course the styling is subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.

If it was to be a year round daily driver then it's possible I could be convinced that the C4 is the better prospect. Perhaps safer? More usable more of the time?

Looking at values/asking prices I seem to be in the minority and the C4 and especially the C4S seem to be attracting a decent premium over the C2.

Please discuss and tell me why I'm wrong.

I think you'll find the C4S attracts a premium because of the turbo style rear end, I don;t think the C4 is any dearer than the C2, if anything it may be cheaper.

The C4 looks the same as the C2, it is only the C4S which has the different shape. The chassis on the C4 is supposedly stiffer and was used as the chassis for the GT3, not idea how this would translate on the road though. Many people really like the C4S but to me it is just extra weight and drag without the extra power of the turbo. Tge back end does look nice.

MC

The WB and the red stripe make the C4S a pretty car. I preferred the driving experience of a C2, but that's not enough to push the price up to C4S levels. C4 doesn't have the same following.

I would say you would be wrong if you bought the car that you didn't want. You bought the car that you wanted, how is that wrong?

pzero said:
I would say you would be wrong if you bought the car that you didn't want. You bought the car that you wanted, how is that wrong?

I should have said I am never wrong! Well maybe about C4 prices :)

It was more about my assumption that the C2 would be the most desirable over any 4wd car. Is the value of the C4S higher due to the way it looks or is it accepted that it is a better car to drive?

I don't regret my decision for a moment, I'm like a kid at Christmas. Just interested in others thoughts.

I should add SWMBO would have gone for the C4S purely on the panel between the rear lights.

C4S prices are due to the look. C2 front end feels better and the C4S AWD system is not that good.

There is a widely held view that the C4S has the sought after look, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Congrats on your purchase. :thumb:

Hi and welcome

Any pictures?

C4S just looking sexy from back :p C2 with aero kit :thumb: you have done best decision.

I'm in the minority that prefers the svelte lines of the narrow bodied car, more like the earlier air cooled models, I find the later cars a bit bloated.

(and I have a C2)

Its because it looks like turbo, more aggressive - like a Carrera on steroids, which many people like. Its also a little rarer than a Carrera. Personally I prefer the svelte looks of a Carrera.

You can whip the front diff off a c4/c4s and basically you are left with a c2. The viscous 4wd works as well as it ever did but is rather dated now.

77szymon said:
Hi and welcome

Any pictures?

C4S just looking sexy from back :p C2 with aero kit :thumb: you have done best decision.

Thanks. I think so.

No pictures at the moment but I'm sure I won't be able to resist posting a few when we have collected it.

Welcome!

Everything has been said really, including get some pics up. I'll add my 2p though.

As said the C2 and C4 look the same, being narrow bodied. If you're standing next to one and can't see the back a C2 has black brake callipers and a C4 has silver.

C4S is wide bodied, very similar bodywork to the Turbo but with no vents in the rear quarters and no rear rear wing. C4S has a full length rear reflector between the rear lights giving a nod back to the older cars.

It was priced between a C2/C4 and a turbo when new, and still is. It uses some of the Turbos suspension and brake components. Slightly higher running costs for brakes etc, than the regualar C2/C4.

C4S are lovely looking cars to look at, with one of the best rear ends ever.
I wouldn't choose one over my C2, as like Maldren above, I actually prefer the standard Carrera due to it's smaller width and prettier shape. I don't like the Turbo/C4S front bumper for example.
I wouldn't choose one mainly due to the feel I want from the car though.

Out of the standard C2 and C4, the C2 will always be the more sought after. This has been the case since the beginning of time and the 996 isn't about to change that.
You have a lighter, more delicate front end with better feel and less components to go wrong.
Some say (cue the stig) "Ah, but the 4WD only kicks in when you need it", BUT the weight is always there, with driveshafts spinning etc.

The GT3 used a modified version of the C4 shell, but strengthened and altered and was fitted with one of the best engines ever to filter its way into a road car.
A C4 will not a GT3 make. :D

As an owner/previous owner of both, a C2 feels much more like a GT3 than a C4 does, but the GT3 is on a tier of it's own, due to genuine, history making motorsport components, which come together to create even more than the sum of their parts. They are epic.

A 996 C2 is one of the last 911s that still gives a true, unfiltered 911 fix, with rear wheel drive, little or no driver aids, totally mechanical steering with feedback that is a joy to behold. It has the original DNA all the way from from 1963 basically. Mechanically anyway. :D

Enjoy your car, you chose what is right for you, so as said, that's all that matters. :thumb:

Just read that back. Blimey I do go on. :sleepy:

Note to self, stay away from the keyboard when just waking up. :bye:

Totally agree with Marky,

Just to add we're taking about preferences here, they're all great cars.

Mike

I've got a C4 that I just converted to rwd at the weekend, best of both worlds now with rwd and a supposedly better/stiffer chassis.

I only converted due to the diff being toast and I'm not really prepared to throw money at the car, apart from that I personally couldn't have cared less about 2/4 wheel drive, if the car is tidy then all good, cable throttle rwd wouldn't have come to thought.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back