Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Design911 Bucket Seats (GT3 Reps)

Teg

Hi All,

Has anyone fitted the 'Track Bucket Sports Seat - GTR' from Design911?

How do you find them?

Am doing more track driving so looking at bucket seats and love the way the 996 GT3 seats look, so hoping these would be a suitable alternative?

Pictures also welcome :D

Thanks

Ben

They certainly look good and priced OK for leather carbon buckets at 495 Each, would be best to sit in them to check they fit you OK, not sure if that's possible with d911?

Attachments

• screenshot_20180430_224615_134.png
    screenshot_20180430_224615_134.png
    165 KB · Views: 9,343
Sorely tempted by a set of these myself so also interested to hear if anyone has any experiences with them

I have a set ready to go in mine but not fitted yet so I'm not much use really.
Nicely made and feel plenty stiff enough and that's before they're even bolted in.
Pretty much identical to genuine ones dimensionally so a snug fit. Deffo try and get a sit in them first if you're slightly more rotund. :wink:

Interesting thread below, especially page 2. If they're good enough for the Pop-meister-general, they're good enough for me. :thumb:
(Although who's to say they are identical)

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1564441

Another pic of mine. Sorry, but I'm happy with my re-trim so you're all going to look at them, right. :D

I've got the folding ones and they're absolutely fine.

These look even more solid (because they have no hinge), so I'd say you would be extremely hard-pushed to feel any difference between these and OEM, in terms of holding you into the car.

Thanks for your thoughts :thumbs: and an interesting read over on Pistonheads.

I think the quality of these seats look pretty good, and i think they are manufactured by DesignTek, who i know do plenty of other porsche parts. I assume DesignTek is run by the same people as Design911?

At the moment I am doing track days in standard seats with the standard seatbelt, and i think any bucket seat with a 4 or 6 point harness is going to be much safer tan the standard seats that are more deigned for comfort.

I have a set fitted.

I was torn between these and Recaro Pole Positions, original GT3 are to rich for my blood, but I really wanted the OEM look.

As I was intending to use on track my concern was the quality and although I could find lots of people who had fitted them and were happy with the quality, none actually tracked their cars where the structural loads would be higher.

However I found the thread on Pistonheads where the doubters who were questioning the quality were taken to school, this was enough for me to try a set.

So far no issues, they are a narrow seat so dependent on your build may be a little snug. Track performance is much better than standard seats in that they hold you in position, and that position is more focused. - That said if your pushing on you still move around a little and ideally harnesses are required, which means a cage.

My biggest concern is the seat runners. (I used the D911 heavy duty mounting kit, I searched hard for other solutions but could not find any) The side mounts are heavy duty, no issues, however the sliders are pretty sh*tty and the way in which they bolt to the car, in my eyes, could be more substantial. - The fixings provided, nuts and bolts are also garbage and I replaced mine with HT bolts and nyloc nuts.

HTH, if you want pictures or any more specific info let me know.

Marky, they look ace! :thumb:

EGTE said:

These look even more solid (because they have no hinge), so I'd say you would be extremely hard-pushed to feel any difference between these and OEM, in terms of holding you into the car.

Have you any photos of these fitted as like the idea but need rear seat access,

Cheers

crash7 said:
I have a set fitted.

I was torn between these and Recaro Pole Positions, original GT3 are to rich for my blood, but I really wanted the OEM look.

As I was intending to use on track my concern was the quality and although I could find lots of people who had fitted them and were happy with the quality, none actually tracked their cars where the structural loads would be higher.

However I found the thread on Pistonheads where the doubters who were questioning the quality were taken to school, this was enough for me to try a set.

So far no issues, they are a narrow seat so dependent on your build may be a little snug. Track performance is much better than standard seats in that they hold you in position, and that position is more focused. - That said if your pushing on you still move around a little and ideally harnesses are required, which means a cage.

My biggest concern is the seat runners. (I used the D911 heavy duty mounting kit, I searched hard for other solutions but could not find any) The side mounts are heavy duty, no issues, however the sliders are pretty sh*tty and the way in which they bolt to the car, in my eyes, could be more substantial. - The fixings provided, nuts and bolts are also garbage and I replaced mine with HT bolts and nyloc nuts.

HTH, if you want pictures or any more specific info let me know.

Marky, they look ace! :thumb:

Thanks for your post, good to hear of some being used on track.

My intention would be to install these along with a half cage to allow the use of harnesses.

Design911 are now a supplier of BBI products and have a seat rail with side mounts that looks very robust, so perhaps this would help reduce as much movement as possible.

Would love to see some photos of your installed if possible?

Thanks

galahad said:
EGTE said:

Have you any photos of these fitted as like the idea but need rear seat access,

Cheers

Hi Galahad,
Pretty much exactly the same as normal seats for access. :thumb:

crash7 said:
I have a set fitted....if you want pictures or any more specific info let me know.

This is the internet. Pics or it didn't happen.

Very nice indeed. However too tight for my build. That may say more about my diet than the seats though.

crash7 said:
My biggest concern is the seat runners. (I used the D911 heavy duty mounting kit, I searched hard for other solutions but could not find any) The side mounts are heavy duty, no issues, however the sliders are pretty sh*tty and the way in which they bolt to the car, in my eyes, could be more substantial.

The HD side mounts will attach directly to the stock runners. No need to buy the D911 runners & floor brackets.

I guess you pay your money and take your choice.
I would have no interest in putting my butt, or loved ones for that matter in a replica- non tested seat. These are ultimately made in some far eastern factory, and design 911 themselves have no idea how they would perform in a crash. I know this as I have asked them when investigating this route myself.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back