Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Decisions on new purchase please

Merlint4s

Advise please,
I have owned 3 997's 2 56 plates 10 years ago & 1 56 in 2012 all Gen 1's, the last one was a Targa 4S which I loved and sold due to House & children to fund , lol

I have been looking at getting back in to a 911 for a long while,
Im looking between having a late 997 GEN 2 Targa 4S pdk or an early 991 C2S
I do love the Targa but they seem to be more than an early 991 , any advise & comments welcome,
which will retain the best value
Thanks for the help in advance ....

I think a sensible purchase right now would be a 997 Gen 2 targa. They seem to be floating around the bottom of their depreciation curve, and considered the last "drivers porsche". Some OPC examples have been reaching strong money.

991's have still abit to go i think, Like with everything. They're between the, not quite new enough for those wanting the newness, and not old enough to have retained a desirability.

You wouldn't be disappointed with a 991, its still a new very well thought out 911. But my money would definitely be in a 997 for security.

neil_911 said:
I think a sensible purchase right now would be a 997 Gen 2 targa. They seem to be floating around the bottom of their depreciation curve, and considered the last "drivers porsche". Some OPC examples have been reaching strong money.

991's have still abit to go i think, Like with everything. They're between the, not quite new enough for those wanting the newness, and not old enough to have retained a desirability.

You wouldn't be disappointed with a 991, its still a new very well thought out 911. But my money would definitely be in a 997 for security.

Thanks Neil,

Do you think OPC have much movement in the cars they have used for sale ?, some say its Thousands.

neil_911 said:

Whilst I agree that the 997 overall is considered a "driver's 911" rather than a GT car (991), I don't think the targa will ever be held in this regard, the same as the convertible. I actually think the 996/997 targa will be extremely poor relations in the fullness of time considering how cool the 991 targa is.

An early 991 would be my pick of the two here. Last of the naturally aspirated 911's, amazing looking, great interior. Sure, they made a lot of them and they might depreciate a bit more especially with adding mileage, but any 911 in the current market enjoys a very shallow depreciation curve.

IMO the 997.2 is still dropping in value and higher mileage examples are starting to cross over with low mileage garage queen 997.1's. Low mileage cars and GT/GTS examples are commanding strong money, but you need to decide on your budget and stick to it!

Curveball suggestion would be a 997 Turbo (safe residuals and amazing performance), or save some cash and buy >2006 gen 1 4S Targa. I'm assuming your budget is north of £50k, which gives you a great selection of 997 Turbos.

EDIT - or you'd get your hands on a lovely air cooled example for something completely different!

I'm also on the hunt properly now.

All of these are doing well price wise with strong residuals.

Cabs are not as strong from what I'm seeing. Targas very strong - too much IMO.

I just missed a private sale car with "high" miles (70k on a 2008 gen2) for a chunk under 40k with great spec. Which makes all others advertised at present very expensive IMO - e.g. Porsche in Notts have a similar mileage car with lower spec for 47k...

RPM look to have just sold theirs for above that, but it's a better spec car (akin to the private one mentioned) but with 15k less miles.

Advice I've consistently been given is that the coupe is a better drive than the Targa. I've not driven either yet, but can see why that might be. Would still entertain a Targa if they were cheaper.

So looking at Coupes mainly now.

There are a lot of cars that are taking ages to sell. I've been watching prices for 5mths or so properly now and not many have sold until prices start to come down.

I personally wouldn't buy either a 997 or 991 (or frankly any car :)) with an eye on residuals. Buy it and use it. Enjoy it. It then sells for what it sells for as and when.

991s at that price are half tempting, but the compact size of the 997 is what is really appealing to me.

That sounds like you have just missed out there Murph, sounds a good buy too,
Whats your budget at ,?,
as you say Targas with low miles are 50K plus at OPC

Merlint4s said:
That sounds like you have just missed out there Murph, sounds a good buy too,
Whats your budget at ,?,
as you say Targas with low miles are 50K plus at OPC
Sorry, only just saw this :)

Yes, that was a miss.

Just had another on a coupe. Dithered getting in touch with the owner as the car was 550 miles away. Had a good chat with the owner and just wanted to get the car checked over (OPC agreed to do that) but it sold. Similar price, same spec but less miles.

Went to look at another same spec coupe at a dealer over the weekend. Service history a bit wobbly and has more miles (over 70k). 4k more which I can't reconcile as things stand.

Budget? Around the 40k mark is what I want to spend (I struggle to understand some of the asking prices against previous cars I've owned :)). The car will be a daily and well used, so I'm not overly fussed about a purchase having some miles or even a patchy service history (to an extent). But the price needs to be right.

The two private sales I missed look about right to me, and they sold reasonably quickly as a result. A lot of the stuff on AT/PH has been there a while and the prices of a number are starting to be reduced...not by much at present, but they're still too expensive IMO.

Alfaian said:
Looking for a 4S (PDK, non-cabrio) ;)

RSJ have a couple that I've considered but lower spec/higher price combos than I think I need to accept.

The good thing is that I'm now settled on the need to get one :) That it needs to be a 4S PDK and am more sure that a Coupe is the likely choice - targa feels great inside but am not sure it's worth a 5k-7k premium to me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back