Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quit your whining! How much does your 996 whine?

wasz

Paul Ricard
How much does your 996 whine? I know "it's a 911 thing" but I think mine whines a fair bit.

This video makes it sound worse than it is. But it whines over 1k, and then at 3k the exhaust drowns it out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h5vm499fEiqB56Lg9

How much whine is normal?

All my pulleys feel Ok, so just want to get a feel for what's normal before I replace them one by one.

I might also try running breifly from cold with no belt....just to be sure right is a pulley...will be very brief....

Sounds great to me!

Mines a .2 so sounds different... not as 'mechanical' as that.

Almost sounds super-charged!
Similar to Robert mine is a 996.2 - so the sound isnt comparable.

Kingb4 said:
Almost sounds super-charged!
Similar to Robert mine is a 996.2 - so the sound isnt comparable.

Ah. The 3.4 does apparently whine more than 3.6:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/6287-engine-whine-noise/
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/570406-996-do-whine-right.html

I don't think it has got louder in my ownership though it could be the kind of thing that creeps up on you. Going to try without a belt tonight.

I have a water pump waiting to go on so might just swap that first before the idlers and alternator. It had a new a/c compressor not a million years ago.

Hmmm. I have a 3.4 and doesn't sound like that. Could be a dry bearing somewhere. Alternator maybe.

deMort said:
Run it without the drivebelt .. i have a feeling it will be quieter .

Indeed - when I last changed the belt on mine, all three of the tensioner/idlers were a bit noisy.

The IMS chain is a little noisier on pre morse chain models, but it's hardly 'noisy' as it has a huge amount of oil flow around it..

The main source of whine on mine is the gearbox bearings :/

thecarfixer said:
The main source of whine on mine is the gearbox bearings :/

Thats where I thought mine was from! Until I revved it up today in neutral (I don't have a habit of doing that) and was surprised the whine was there.

Where are you in the UK? There is a gearbox rebuilder near me that quoted me a good price. He has done a few 996 boxes and has a source of bearings.

Not had chance to whip the belt off yet. Will try tomorrow as its dark now.

I read a post by poppopbangbang that the bearings in the idlers are stock sizes and can be changed for about 4 quid each rather than changing the whole pulley. May have been over on pistonheads.
Ian

Mine made a load of whine the other day when I took it on a long trip for work. But it might have been because the windows were cracked open and the sunroof tilted open too. But it sounded quite bad increasing up to 3k rpm when the exhaust kinda took over. I have a new belt so might get that fitted sooner rather than later. And hopefully it's nothing more serious like water pump or a/c on way out. Having said that it seemed quieter on the way home so I might leave it. And northway didn't mention anything when it was in the other week

Try switching your aircon off and see if the whine goes away. When mine needs a re gas, the pump whines a lot, turning off the aircon instantly removes the whine.

Mine does this too (3.4), mostly when cold. once up and running warm it's less noticeable.

Had it ever since I can remember - now on 121,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back