Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cracked front discs on a 997.2 turbo

1largehouse

Any views on front disc cracking covered under Porsche warranty ?opc inspected car 12 months ago said nothing and car has done 4 k miles in last year ,they tell me front disc cracked and can't renew warranty until replaced !

Not much chance of them covering. Seems a poor excuse to deny renewal for the same reason.

Brake discs are 'wear and tear' items so aren't covered by warranty and 4k miles is a long time in 911 ownership.

To get your warranty renewal the car needs to pass a 111 point check. With a cracked disc it won't. You'll need to have genuine Porsche discs fitted asap I'm afraid.

You must drive quite enthusiastically to crack the discs in so few miles compared to the average owner who seem to manage about 10 times the mileage!!!

This is probably not much help if you want to keep it under warranty but I ran 997 turbo callipers and discs on my 996turbo for a while but used to crack the genuine Porsche discs in under 3000 miles. A set of 350mm girodiscs has solved that problem!

I complained to Porsche saying that while yes I use the full performance of the car I don't abuse it and that I was disappointed the genuine discs had cracked so soon. They produced some paperwork saying that to cause such cracks the car must have Performed a certain number of stops from high speed ( if I remember correctly it was only 10 or 20) and this was abusive and not covered. So basically Porsche will sell you a car that does 190 mph and is marketed as having state of the art brakes, the reality is if you use that performance just a few times the discs will crack and it's the owners responsibility to shell out for replacements!

I also had my car mot'd and it passed with 5mm cracks from each hole. You could ask Porsche how they can refuse a warranty when the car is deemed fine by a mot testing station

1largehouse said:
Any views on front disc cracking covered under Porsche warranty ?opc inspected car 12 months ago said nothing and car has done 4 k miles in last year ,they tell me front disc cracked and can't renew warranty until replaced !

Firstly - yes, they do that (especially when used on track) and they are a wear and tear item specifically excluded from the warranty. Secondly, if they really do need changing I wouldn't personally have that job done at main dealer rates (what they charge to change rotors is generally beyond sarcastic - I'd go to an independent or simply do it myself {even though it isn't as simple for me as I have centre locks and is only an option as I have the right tools}).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back