Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cracked Rear Light Lenses 😢

Divster

Hi all,

I just noticed the other day that both the lenses on my rear lights (997.2) have horizontal cracks along them.

Porsche want £920 for two new units not fitted!

Anyone had this problem before and can recomend where I can get replacements from without spending nearly a grand!?

Thanks

Attachments

• c46f61b5_817b_48c7_bc6d_f853c17f6d03_276.jpeg
    c46f61b5_817b_48c7_bc6d_f853c17f6d03_276.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 6,175
Maybe heat or something built up or temperature extremes? Doesn't seem to make sense that they can crack at all really. Is the car under warranty?

Not under warranty anymore... I don't understand, I have a 10 year old Megane and the lenses have not cracked!!

Porsche should really show some customer care and help customers in situations like this!

How noticeable is it from a distance? If it is not that bad and you can live with it then you can always have them tinted to hide it slightly? Failing that then yup they are expensive - you can always try someone like Jasmine for used, plus have seen some up on eBay from time to time....

Check ebay for used ones :thumb:

The cracks are not that visible from a distance, just annoying as I know they are there. Looks like I am just going to have to live with them for a while!

Get the lens tinted....will hide it a bit! £60 the pair (ish)....

I like the red C4S strip across the back and think it might look odd with tinted lights against the red strip!

Attachments

• e783eaa8_accd_4b15_8543_5b463dd96bf9_212.jpeg
    e783eaa8_accd_4b15_8543_5b463dd96bf9_212.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 6,087
sja360 said:
Maybe heat or something built up or temperature extremes? Doesn't seem to make sense that they can crack at all really. Is the car under warranty?
Heat.......in this country? :floor: :floor: :floor:

The clear lens delaminating from the red is a known issue on the Gen2 light, but yours seems to have cracked across the clear which is more unusual.

I expect the problem you will soon encounter is that the light cluster will now slowly fill with water, up to the point where sections of the lights will fail causing errors to be shown in the instrument cluster.

You can periodically empty the lights of water and dry them off - but you soon get bored with that. Also passing strangers always seem quite keen to tell you that the backlights on your Porsche are full of water - which also gets wearing.

I had delaminated lens on my 2009 997.2 and despite arguing with OPC that it was a manufacturing fault they refused to replace them or even reduce the price of the replacement units.

Contrast that to a similar issue on my daughters Fiat 500 that was out of warranty where the rear lights were fogging up ( £5K car versus £50K car ) and the dealership fixed it FOC.

I really think Porsche should be doing more for customers on this.

Finally you can buy the replacement URO ones, which cost about £320 each the next time CarParts4Less or EuroCarParts have a discount.

Good luck.

Divster said:
I like the red C4S strip across the back and think it might look odd with tinted lights against the red strip!

If it stops raining I'll put up a pic - just had mine tinted, tinted the red strip too! I think it looks really good, takes the edge off the brightness and looks very modern!

Eurocarparts, Carparts 4 less and Autodoc stock them. With ECP discount they are around £350 each. Their stock is limited, they only have one side at the moment. I wouldn't bother looking for used, they're probe to deteriorating and leaking.

I had this same problem last month, having scoured the internet I found a guy selling NEW ones with the latest part number on eBay, he is still selling them.
Ebay item numbers are 183162804326 and 183185415751.

I bought a pair and he did a bit of discount, they came really well packaged and indeed were brand new as per advert.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back