Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 change stereo wiring help

bradders911

HI, I have bought a new Pioneer stereo, and think I have bought the parts but doesn't seem to want to work plug n play....

I took out a PCM1, and used this loom https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ct20po02-porsche-911-boxster-iso-wiring-harness-adaptor-lead.html

and dry fitting I get no sound. System boots, so power, and have plugged in the multi colour connector. The female housing it goes into has only wires out on the YELLOW block side, which (looking at the wiring diagram) should be the speakers. NO amp fitted, not BOSE, cd changer not connected (taking out to store with original unit).

Am I missing something? Any clues? I was hoping to simply swap and not need fitting by auto electrician. Other than taking speakers out (to find if they are there, it was bought from that scamming c**** in Scotland) how van I test they are connected? I have multi meter but it doesn't have a consenting beeper.

Thanks

Not sure if this helps but if you can work out each pair of wires for a speaker, then you can use a little 9v battery to put some juice down the wires. If the speakers are connected you should hear/feel the cone move. Will save you pulling off door cards etc.

Have you tried just connecting the 2 iso plugs (black and brown) in the cars loom direct to the stereo, without the adaptor?
The adaptor in the pic doesn't seem to have any speaker wire connections in main 2 black plugs, and I suspect the red plug in the adaptor is irrelevant to you, unless you have an amp lurking somewhere.
I posted a pin out guide/plug photos for my PCM1 with Bose car in the thread below, see if you have a brown plug like mine - if so, that's the one for the speakers
- http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1174345&highlight=#1174345

Thanks.

I have tried to measure the voltage coming out of the steer, shows very small but there is some.

The adapter, the red box takes the yellow/green/blue connector, which I believe has the speakers wires in it. The main OEM black connector does go direct into the unit, but also into the adapter.

All connected, powers up, plays, but no sound?! Help!! lol

bo_duke said:
Have you tried just connecting the 2 iso plugs (black and brown) in the cars loom direct to the stereo, without the adaptor?
The adaptor in the pic doesn't seem to have any speaker wire connections in main 2 black plugs, and I suspect the red plug in the adaptor is irrelevant to you, unless you have an amp lurking somewhere.
I posted a pin out guide/plug photos for my PCM1 with Bose car in the thread below, see if you have a brown plug like mine - if so, that's the one for the speakers

I only have a back connector, cant see a brown one.

bo_duke said:

Great link, thanks. Your post suggested the multi coloured connector is for line out to amp? The wiring diagram I saw suggested the wires were line out to speakers?

I'll take a picture tomorrow, maybe I need to have a scramble around inside and see if there is a brown connector too! The only other one I spotted are blue and white from the nav unit.

From memory, the blue and green plugs are for controlling the CD changer, and getting a stereo feed from it back into the head unit. So irrelevant here.

With the Bose amp, only 1 wire in the yellow plug is used - to switch on the amp. All the speakers feeds are sent from the head unit to the amp via the brown plug.

Are you saying that:
- You have no brown plug?
- All the wires in your yellow plug are populated?
If so, I suspect you have a non Bose amp lurking somewhere. I've no experience in that, but someone else may be able to help.

One other thought:
- You've presumably connected the NON-amplified outputs from your head unit to the yellow plug.
- I don't recall my PCM1 having any non-amplified outputs. So wonder if the yellow plug is expecting amplified outputs?
- If you crank the volume up to max, can you hear anything feint at the speakers?

bo_duke said:
One other thought:
- You've presumably connected the NON-amplified outputs from your head unit to the yellow plug.
- I don't recall my PCM1 having any non-amplified outputs. So wonder if the yellow plug is expecting amplified outputs?
- If you crank the volume up to max, can you hear anything feint at the speakers?

HI, so it appears what I thought was a CD auto changer is an amp. A few pictures of what I have: there is no brown connector I can see, or anything that looks tucked away that deserves more investigation in stripping the dash.

wiring

Attachments

• img_2891_106.jpg
    img_2891_106.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,023
  • img_2892_379.jpg
    img_2892_379.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,022
  • img_2894_197.jpg
    img_2894_197.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,022
I'm guessing that's an optional amp, with option number M490.
Question is whether it expects amplified inputs or non-amplified inputs via the yellow plug. Did you try connecting it via the harness and then cranking up the volume to max, to see if you could hear anything?

Was everything working before you took the PCM1 out, or is there a chance the amp is dead?

bo_duke said:
I'm guessing that's an optional amp, with option number M490.
Question is whether it expects amplified inputs or non-amplified inputs via the yellow plug. Did you try connecting it via the harness and then cranking up the volume to max, to see if you could hear anything?

I did, and nothing, not even a buzz from any speaker. I also made sure mute wasn't on. It looks like all the wiring in the frunk is connected into the multicoloured connector, and I can inky suspect there was a different amp that was switched out for sale and they didnt bother to connect up. All the connectors are in the amp, but without digging off lots of trim I cant see where the aftermarket wires go.

Need someone to come have a look, so looking for recommendations for a mobile tech Gloucester way

bo_duke said:
Was everything working before you took the PCM1 out, or is there a chance the amp is dead?
The code supplied was wrong so soundly get to to work. One of the reasons I anted to return the car but bought from that scamming c*nt Stephen Boag modern classic (who is a thief and deserves something large being shoved in the most painful orifice)

Means I am having to try and resolve things that I have no idea what the history of change is.

What makes you think an aftermarket amp was fitted - can you see aftermarket wiring?
If the option sticker under the bonnet/in the service book included M490, it seems more likely that the harness isn't quite wired correctly/switching on the amp, or the amp is dead (probably available via eBay)?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back