Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Velvet red C4 - newbie with questions

RH964

Hello

Last May I joined the club buying a Velvet Red C4, my forever car. Would have preferred a black / grey rear drive car, but searched a while and these were either hen's teeth or silly money.

With a new house and baby plus a then 3 year old, nothing happened to the car last year other than servicing and a little driving. Plus the rally special that was the Goodwood Revival car park - managed to get mud on the inside of the rear window playing in the field.

The car is pretty tidy. A few bits to tidy on the interior – horrible head unit, saggy roof lining and missing left hand side quarter window door felt. The paint isn't perfect, slight bubbling at the corner of the front and rear window. The car has been resprayed, but not a glass out, bumpers off job as there's evidence of overspray on the bumper rubbers.
The biggest bugbear of mine was the non-matching tyres and aging suspension. I like my fun cars pointy and just didn't have massive faith in the grip levels – though this could have been lack of mileage as much as anything.

This year I got the team at Parr to replace the suspension with Bilstein PSS10's. I requested a ride height more inline with that of the RS, not a massive fan to tyres tucked up in arches. Sorry to those that are, but I'm old (43) and not my cup of tea on a road car. I also requested that through the geo setup they dial out as much of the understeer as possible. The wheels were refurbed with one replaced and new PS2's fitted all round. While I still haven't spent enough time driving to really get to grips with the car, Parr's fast road setup is noticeably better.

So, questions:
Brakes –
Not happy with the peddle feel or initial bite. Parr replaced the fluids while the car was with them, so now thinking pads. I had a 996 back in the day and that always felt wooden when cold, but had plenty of feel when the pads were warm. What pads do you guys use? Is what I'm experiencing a 'feature" of the air cooled cars? The car pulls up ok, so assuming from that that the callipers aren't super tired and in need of a refurb. Though probably not the worst idea on car approaching 30.

Bodywork / sunroof / wings -
The car has a working sunroof (love the bizarre switch placement on these cars) and no aircon. Kinda like the roof open when summer driving, but prefer the aesthetics of non-sunroof cars. Easier to clean too. So the question is, what are the options for sunroof deletions? I've seen folks weld a panel in, but no changes to the internal side. What are the pro's and con's of this? Would I still need a sunroof roof lining for example?

Also want the indicators on the wings removed. Assuming a simple resistor can replace the bulb or something?

Is this work blooming expensive or something that I can slip in while having the bubbling window rust addressed? Appreciate the 'tiny bubble patches" can be a can of expensive worms on their own.

Lastly.... Do I bite the bullet with a colour change or do I need to secure a second mortgage first? Have any of you guys trodden this path and able to share approximate costs?

G pipe is also on the want list, but want to hear one first hand before doing this I think.

The interior needs a refresh too. Current thinking is either leather or alcantara dash, centre console, door tops and A pillars. Again, imagine this is a serious kick to the wallet so will have to wait until the house is sorted. Everything works and nothing cracked or split, just aesthetically not how I'd like it. I've not intention of ever selling the car, so not in a huge rush.

Attachments

• img_4094_107.jpg
    img_4094_107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12,294
Looking good chum :thumb:

I found the brakes OK on my 964 but not sure what pads I was running. some upgrade the calipers to the 993 'big reds' but this is pricey.

The rust you describe sounds atypical and common. Most painters whop know these cars will offer 'menu pricing' to sort it but beware the iceberg (and what lies beneath) effect :what: Also take a look behind the shark fins this is another area.

G-pipe essential. They sound great without being intrusive and easily reversible if you keep the secondary silencer :thumb:

I'd advise against a colour change as this to do right will be a lot of dough plus it will put buyers off come resale. If you intend keeping it forever then why not but expect a price of +£10k :nooo: If the first respray was a shiote job and they haven't dealt with the corrosion then it will come back! Once you've done this it'll highlight the ageing reflector/rear lights so that's north of £500 to budget.

Alcantara can look good and I've seen some dashes covered in it. I'd stick with leather so close to original and get it done by a good trimmer. Seats will probably need a refresh and these are easy to do although from experience they wear very very well.

Thank you, matey.

Yes, the iceberg effect (great analogy by the way) is mildly terrifying. Especially when we've got a small fortune to spend on the house...

Will defo get the fins off and inspected when it goes in - thanks for the tip.

Big reds are strong money. I'm going to research the brakes as wondering whether anyone has fitted 996TT calipers or something with a bracket. As these are newer and more common shoudl be a cheaper option. Wheel clearance on 17" rims may prevent this obviously.

Just had a quick butchers at Design 911 for G pipes, now only £90. I'm a spanner with a spanner, is this a DIY achievable job?

I know what you mean regarding colour change. That said, whenever I see a Riviera Blue GT3 I come over all peculiar. Not sure if this is the colour, the car or my menoPorsche kicking in.

I'm also with you on the leather. I look at what Paul and others have achieved and think leather. Then I look a alcantara and just want to stroke it. The leather will better complement a Prototipo too.

Richard

have found Goodwood mud pics

Attachments

• image1_649.jpeg
    image1_649.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 12,250
  • img_2923_106.jpg
    img_2923_106.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12,250
G-Pipe is an easy access job. Take off the secondary silencer, connect the G to the primary and then reconnect the tail pipe :thumb:

:welcome:

Cool car 8)

That a 205 GTi you have there too :dont know:

:thumb:

Hi
Yes. That was a panic buy when the first child was born :)

Love 90's cars. Nearly bought one when I was 20, test drove a coule and bought an RS Turbo instead. Was actually looking for an Oak green mk2 Golf Gti, but the 205 was an itch I'd never scratched before (had a Golf before the RS).

The 205 was pretty much sorted to drive, but had the suspension and bushes replaced to tighten everything up. Lovely little go kart. Still needs a ton of work to make mint, but since the 964 came along it's dropped down the pecking order. Was driven so little last year that a battery bought in May is now dead. Like dead dead. The ctek jobber couldn't revive it...

Hi Richard,
Lovely car and quite a unique colour. Most of the mods you want to achieve are in my 'Red Baron' thread. I appreciate the pictures are not there but there is a google software patch that lets you see everything. Lots of pics of rust where you describe you have it. Also all the info you will ever need about brake upgrades. I went big blacks of a 928S4. Slightly smaller than big reds, but not a lot in it unless you're racing. I also went 993 master cylinder and pedal assembly. This set up I can assure you is amazing! I also removed the side indicators and modified the front side fake ones in the PU to work. A lot safer out on the streets. Sunroof delete....Well there are carbon bond in panels or I have seen the factory roof welded in. I would suggest removing all the inside metal work and motor as its heavy and reduces head height. If you're reprinting then Windows would be out so a new headliner could go in.

As for colour change. I would not consider it. I have seen it done so many times with owners challenging me to tell them what the original colour was. I have always won! With 'Project Blue Book' I have the car stripped to the bare shell on a rotissery. I could change the colour and get away with it, but a bodyshop wouldn't be in a position to do this cost effectively. I say it's a lovely colour and nice and period. Do the brakes and interior to make it yours. Get rid of the sunroof and spend the money on making the paint job the best about :thumb:

If that is the thames in that pic and so you are near teddington, my 964 has a cup pipe and the bypass if you want to compare.

Hi Chief

Thanks for the advice. Big blacks ~£1k a side. Will add this to the list.

Yes, really in two minds about a colour swap for that very reason. I'll know that it's not been a full strip and change and sure it would drive me nutty.

Thanks for the info about the roof. Will google pics of this so I have more of an idea what's up there.

Hi Stephen,
The photo was taken by the Thames. I bought the car from Classic Chrome in Mortlake (I think), it's their photo that i've 'borrowed'. I love about 10 miles above Brighton, but would love to hear a car with G and Cup pipe options.

Hi RH964

Lovely 964 you have, I remember seeing it for sale at Classic Chrome and thinking what a great colour it was. I would keep it in the lovely Velvet Red.
You have began by changing one of the most important parts in the suspension and geo, its such an improvement over stock and bringing the ride height down to RS spec makes for a wonderful look.
I would certainly recommend the G pipe, did it on mine last year and it gives the car a nice growl with it not being to intrusive, well worth it for the price.

Rusting issues are a real pain and can get very expensive very quickly.
My ones had the front tub re-sealed and also the front chassis legs so I would recommend keeping an eye on those areas.
Interior refresh is on my list too, would make such a great difference to the car - think its around 6-8k for a full interior though :?:

I thought it was the mortlake car, i had a test drive in that i think early 2017. It was the first 964 i drove. It had had recent engine rebuild in chelsea if i remember but had a lot of oil leaking when i looked at it.

My mobile number is 07956456135 if you are in the area text me if you want to take a look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back