Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Major service

911munKy

My C2 is due for its next Major service @ 104,000m in a month or so, the local indy pricing for this is £550+ VAT so with the extra allowance for oil disposal/squirt of WD40 etc I'd be looking at £700 plus anything else they find.

Last Major was done at 80,000m and Polyrib belt, fuel filter, spark plugs & coil packs were replaced so another 24,000m before they need doing again. Gearbox oil was changed a couple of years ago and the brake fluid last year.
Exhaust and suspension were also renewed within the last 2 years.

I'm struggling to just justify the cost of a Major service, other than a thorough inspection, fault code read and a basic service (which I can do myself) I can't see there is much to be done.
What am I missing?

Why does it need a major service?

Mine's coming up to the 96k service but like yours, a lot of jobs have been done and there's not much more to do.

I agree with Alex but then I'm building up a detailed service history of my own and I don't bother with dealer stamps any more.

Sounds very expensive... is that the menu price for a major inc belt, plugs etc?

Other than that, I've struggled to see a lot of difference.

Mines in for a major service tomorrow with Northway, their menu pricing is £340+vat which includes the spark plugs. I'm also having a belt change, 6x coils, water pump, LTT (I'm supplying these parts) & coolant and brake fluid change - not sure what the total bill will be...

I would look at supplying our own coolant and brake fluid as well, they can be expensive from Porsche....

To late to get them now but I would also fit stainless brake nipples too, my old ones weren't great and took some getting out. If you have had the fluid changed, replacing the nipples should be easy as they will have been loosened and, if you're careful, you may not even need to top up the fluid.

Off-topic but should make you feel better about the cost.

Minor service on a 964, as quoted by my local OPC - £1700! :bandit:

alex yates said:
Why does it need a major service?

Well according to the service booklet if the car is used regularly (not a low mileage garage queen) then the services alternate Minor/Major every 12,000m.
Plugs/Belt/Fuel filter every 48,000m & G'box oil @ 96,000m.
Mine has now done almost 24,000m since the last Major.

I just called the indy and they said a Minor takes 3 hrs but a Major is all day and includes plugs and is a full inspection. Hmmmmmm.

I think it's time to start to do all my own servicing and wave goodbye to a stamped logbook as I intend to keep the car (or buy my own stamp!)

I'm OK with the spanners, have a couple of manuals and this forum. Time to get a code reader and get to know my car better me thinks.

Major services are for people who don't look after their cars and just follow a book. If you've covered most of what's on the list and have documented evidence then that's fine IMHO. What you need is a decent VAT registered local mechanic. Stamp in book and VAT invoice stating work done.

Less chance of it being a snyde invoice with a VAT number displayed.

So are you suggesting that it's best to get my local village garage to do the simple oil & filter change for a few quid, rather than me doing it, just for a logbook stamp?
I then supply invoices for all the parts I've bought and fit them myself.

OPC will do a major for £395 inc VAT...

It's been said before that OPCs can be better value than Indys for regular servicing and some of them have reasonable hourly rates too, don't dismiss them.

However the best Indys do understand our older cars very well and will suggest non-Porsche alternatives where appropriate and that can save a fortune.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back