Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

In for a penny.........

Ghengis

After two years of fiddling and fettling my car is now back home. New paint, fresh engine build and a few bags lighter 😁. Drives like a dream, amazing how good a new clutch feels too.
Bring on summer I'm ready to play.

Do you have any pictures buddy so we can see how good the car now looks.

Hi Thomas, glad you have your p&j back home. I watched with great interest over the past few months seeing your old engine in bits, the new parts all neatly lined up for re-assembly, the final build of all the nice new parts, and then to see and hear it finally running!
Quite an adventure and I'm only a by-stander. You must be chuffed to bits.
As ever, with the 964 undertrays, lots of the nice views are not available for photo shots.
Very impressed by the level of detail given by D&G, looking forward to seeing you and the car out and about.

Cheers, Keith

Ptabi said:
Do you have any pictures buddy so we can see how good the car now looks.

Still struggling to add photos since Photobucket debacle. Trying to get start with imgur but no joy yet.

I fully intend to bore the hell out of everyone with yet another rebuild thread. :D

About bloody time as well, there is a serious lack of air cooled pork on our day trips to the beach :) be good to see you out and about this summer.

Interested to know how the car is a few bags lighter and how it drives now , look forward to seeing you and the car soon , seen your post about Sunday but not sure we will be there, i will let you know .. planning a run up to the Moffat classic car rally 24th June (no thread yet) if you can make it :thumb:

Nice one Thomas looking forward to the pictures :thumb:

This has been a long time coming due mainly to struggling to load pictures onto here. Hopefully these will show up.

Two years ago after a major health scare and deciding life is too short I finally decided to dive in and get some bodywork tidied due to several long standing minor rust issues. Tip of the iceberg is the only thing that would describe what I thought I was going to get into! These photos were taken the day I took the car to the body shop and were what I had assumed were the worst bits.

https://i.imgur.com/WloBWBw.jpg
[img]https://i.imgur.com/AUnqLoN.jpg
byILhHj.jpg

uL1RnU0.jpg

PkZMr7S.jpg

yCCRFWH.jpg

So off the car went to see Igaffz's mate Garry of GBR Body Repair at Throckley near Newcastle.

We agreed on a course of action to tackle the worst and give the whole car a fresh coat. Once he got started though we soon realised that we were in for the long haul.
Job 1 - rear light cluster housings to be replaced on both sides, the metal so rotten you could almost poke you fingers through. New parts from OPC - how much FFS?????
xESoqu0.jpg

7ntvOYN.jpg

3Jctw5i.jpg

RVsDZnq.jpg

After bracing myself for more expense Garry pressed on with job 2, the rear quarters were starting to show some slight bubbling at the usual spot where they meet the bumper. Once stripped back it was decided that the rot would be removed and new metal reinstated. Good job too as you can see they were well on the way to disappearing in a puff of rusty dust!

mWK1ALc.jpg

XEs1ViY.jpg

UP7OidS.jpg

Bogj3uY.jpg

WjYsjPU.jpg

7mDN178.jpg

TmXP4NF.jpg

So that was some of the back end sorted. Next thing was the front wings and the explosion of rust which was the bit that outwardly looked the worst on the car. A small untreated stone chip turned quite nasty over a year or so. Here is another picture heavy post to show what was lurking below and what in my opinion was some pretty good work to repair the wings and thus saving £?????'s to replace the whole wings.

Wings off and light bowls out
fILICCi.jpg

WPO0YUs.jpg

Dx5TsIM.jpg

ha2fQxQ.jpg

gXBLqwI.jpg

Wings off and bowls out, lots of rust to be working on.
pAspA7g.jpg

HjeKMaN.jpg

PdbVtXr.jpg

wcxR7xG.jpg

YlnkdhY.jpg

Removal of the rotten bits!
6bLGNux.jpg

2CX72un.jpg

cPWQGEG.jpg

wPqWq0g.jpg

GqxrRLF.jpg

The job has been done right Tom , no problems around the lights on mine , thats a little unusual i think , great workmanship, no wonder it took him so long :grin: , the guy than did mine cut out the front scuttle etc but skimped on the back arches and its coming through now , i took it back but he has died , like you said Tom you you never know when your number is up ! .
Looking forward to the rest of the photos . Keith

:food: :food: :food: :food: :food: :food:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back